GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You blind Ninty monkeys"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/06/02 at 14:53
Regular
You think you're so smart with your nice new GameCubes. Happy with them are you? I know you are, you've told us enough times. Especially "Oooh, this controller is fantastic, it's much better than all the other controllers I've used".

Bollards.

Why can't you see it's exactly the same as the DualShock 2 but with less features? Let's run through this:

· D-pad - check
· Two analog sticks - check
· Four main buttons - check
· Shoulder buttons - check
· Rumble - nope
· Full analog on ALL buttons - nope
· 4 shoulder buttons - nope
· Analog sticks as sensitive as the DualShock 2 - nope
· Ability to drop for storeys and still work perfectly - nope

Excuse me if I'm wrong but surely if it's the SAME shape with the SAME layout but with less functions, that makes it worse? Oh no, sorry, I'm missing out the facts that it's purple and made by Nintendo, that automatically makes it far superior, I'm terribly sorry.

I dare any of you to prove to me that the GameCube controller is better than the DualShock 2 - and saying that "it's more comfortable" is a cop-out.
Page:
Thu 06/06/02 at 14:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You think you're so smart with your nice new GameCubes. Happy with them are you? I know you are, you've told us enough times. Especially "Oooh, this controller is fantastic, it's much better than all the other controllers I've used".

Bollards.

Why can't you see it's exactly the same as the DualShock 2 but with less features? Let's run through this:

· D-pad - check
· Two analog sticks - check
· Four main buttons - check
· Shoulder buttons - check
· Rumble - nope
· Full analog on ALL buttons - nope
· 4 shoulder buttons - nope
· Analog sticks as sensitive as the DualShock 2 - nope
· Ability to drop for storeys and still work perfectly - nope

Excuse me if I'm wrong but surely if it's the SAME shape with the SAME layout but with less functions, that makes it worse? Oh no, sorry, I'm missing out the facts that it's purple and made by Nintendo, that automatically makes it far superior, I'm terribly sorry.

I dare any of you to prove to me that the GameCube controller is better than the DualShock 2 - and saying that "it's more comfortable" is a cop-out.
Thu 06/06/02 at 15:00
Regular
Does the DuelShock2 have shoulder buttons as sensative as the GameCube's? Nope. You don't need four shoulder buttons when you've two that work like every gamer wants. People who push down buttons harder to make things go faster in say racing game can now do that. But the third shoulder button, 'Z', sucks big time. But so do Sony's two 'Analog' sticks. :-P
Thu 06/06/02 at 15:01
Regular
Oooh, my spelling's bad. Never write ANYTHING in the morning again :-)
Thu 06/06/02 at 15:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
RiCk0sS wrote:
> Does the DuelShock2 have shoulder buttons as sensative as the
> GameCube's? Nope.

They're the same, they both have the same levels of analog.

You don't need four shoulder buttons when you've two
> that work like every gamer wants.

You what? I'd liek to see how far you get with that philosophy in controller design. The DualShock 2 has 4 shoulder buttons that can easily be doubled to 8, as shown in Dropship.

> People who push down buttons harder
> to make things go faster in say racing game can now do that.

Erm, yes, that's the whole point, well done...

> But the
> third shoulder button, 'Z', sucks big time. But so do Sony's two
> 'Analog' sticks. :-P

Eh? 'Analog'? Are you trying to say they're not? Retard. They're a damnsight more sensitive than the GameCube's.
Thu 06/06/02 at 17:24
"Darkness, always"
Turbonutter wrote:
> · Rumble - nope

wrong!

> · Full analog on ALL buttons - nope

that would be awful, and the d-pad counts as four buttons anyway. is the d-pad analogue?

> · Ability to drop for storeys and still work perfectly - nope

people who drop their controllers several stories deserve to have to buy another one

> I dare any of you to prove to me that the GameCube controller is
> better than the DualShock 2 - and saying that "it's more
> comfortable" is a cop-out.

It is more comfortable, which DOES make it a better controller. think about it. one pair of jeans has more pockets, but is less comfortable than another pair of jeans that has a pocket or two less. Which is the better?

Stupid post.
Thu 06/06/02 at 19:12
Regular
As an impartial person in this argument, I would just like to say this.

With every controller Nintendo have designed, they have shown a commitment to excellence and a real desire to improve and enhance their desighn, for the benefit of the user. They invented shoulder buttons, the analogue stick and rumble functions. Sony? A mixture of everyone else's ideas - and as for the PS2 controller, thats just a rehash of the old PS1 controller, guaranteed to sell though because of blind faith like you so excellently exhibit.
Thu 06/06/02 at 19:29
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Turbonutter, I'm not gonna get into a debate over which is the better controller here, but I'm just going to say that the PS2 controller os all but identical to the PS1 controller, which okay 'if it's not broke don't fix it', but it doesn't show much for innovation.

The NIntendo controller, regardless of whether it's better or not (see, told you I wouldn't get sucked into it :D) does show that Ninty are trying to improve their controller design.

But just another point, more buttons doesn't necessarily make it a better controller... And don't come back with "Can't the little kiddie Ninties handle more buttons." :P

PS half the features you mentioned, Nintendo invented :P
Thu 06/06/02 at 19:45
Regular
Stand clear everyone I think Turbonutter's gonna wet his pants.

What's the matter Turbo, do you hate to see other people enjoying their consoles that don't have a Sony label on them?

At the end of the day there is no best pad, I find the Gamecube pad much more comfortable than I think that the buttons are laid out better, the controller fits into your hands and I have found that the sticks are much easier to use than any other pads. I find the dual shock uncomfortable I stuggle to use the analogue sticks and frequently find it hard to press all the shoulder buttons. At end of the day its each to their own so stop posting this biased BS you annoying little man.
Thu 06/06/02 at 19:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Personally, I do actually prefer the GC's pad...

Certainly it's basic design is akin to the PS2's pad, but there are some subtle differences...

Firstly, when the dualshock was invented, the D-pad had to stay in the same place as that was what existing PS1 games used. So, the left analogue took "second place" to the D-pad, leaving it in the wrong position! The analogue has now taken precident, and should be where the D-pad was in the original PS1 pad! Something Ninyt have got right...

Next up the shoulder buttons, although they have the same analogue sensitivity as the PS2 pads (256 degrees?), have a deeper drawing distance, allowing you to actually use the degrees of sensitivity far more easily.

Now, there are somethings that don't seem as good... the lack of analogue face buttons for one. That said, name a PS2 games that makes good use of them... I really can't think of one yet. Oh, and don't bother naming driving games- that's the point of anaolgue trigger style shoulder buttons (ala Dreamcast).

That just leaves the lack of extra shoulder buttons... it's a shame the Z buttons is so wrongly placed- if they had an analogue extra shoulder button on each side of the controller, in a nice position, it could have been so much like the Z-button on the N64. Perfect for firing guns...

Sonic
Thu 06/06/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> · Rumble - nope
>
> wrong!

Yeah yeah yeah, thatw as a mistake

>
>
> · Full analog on ALL buttons - nope
>
> that would be awful, and the d-pad counts as four buttons anyway. is
> the d-pad analogue?

YES! And it's not awful - pressure sensitive, not crappy incremental like the GameCube

>
>
> · Ability to drop for storeys and still work perfectly - nope
>
> people who drop their controllers several stories deserve to have to
> buy another one

Or have them thrown?

>
>
> I dare any of you to prove to me that the GameCube controller is
> better than the DualShock 2 - and saying that "it's more
> comfortable" is a cop-out.
>
> It is more comfortable, which DOES make it a better controller. think
> about it. one pair of jeans has more pockets, but is less comfortable
> than another pair of jeans that has a pocket or two less. Which is the
> better?

You're missing the point. Jeans are meant to be comfortable, controllers are meant to play games...

>
> Stupid post.

Yup, but it's working so far
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.