GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/01/00 at 14:43
Regular
When PS 2 gets here it will give people what they really want: brilliant games and graphics and no hassle. PC's are just too awkward for the uninitiated. Their only selling point before was their power. The next generation consoles will make this difference tiny. No wonder Bill Gates wants to make a console!
Thu 07/09/00 at 16:18
F1 2000 is the best F1 game ever and it has proved that EA Sports can produce a racing sim that's as realistic and exciting as the real thing.
The only down side is the system requirements. EA Sports recommends a 450MHz system with 128MB RAM, which is probably slightly higher than what most people are using. It looks great on high resolution with a Voodoo 3 3000. Every track and driver from the 2000 season is available in F1 2000, though some tracks seem a bit narrower than they do on TV. F1 2000 lets you craft your own persona as you race for the championship, and its quick-race mode is a joy to use. You can choose your start position, as well as head to the garage and make your car and even load a predefined setup based on your experiences in the game's test-day mode. It takes a while to get use to the tracks but it is Great when you know what you are doing. A MUST BUY
Thu 07/09/00 at 11:04
"possibly impossible"
PC's are mainly bought so that people can do work/homework/dtp etc and use the internet. They are bought for games as well, but only as part of the package along with everything else, so the expense of the PC at first is not so much of an issue.

The main problem with PCs is in keeping up with upgrades and new graphics cards (see other posts in this forum) etc. If you want to play the newest PC games you will usually need to upgrade every year at a minimum. This is ridiculous, but the games companies want to produce the best looking, best sounding games out there. That's why I like playing the retro stuff and especially really old games. I always use my consoles for newer games, unless they are things like Unreal and Quake III on the net. If you want the best of both worlds you could buy a console (or two?) and a PC too. It's expensive, but it does so much more than play games.
Mon 04/09/00 at 22:37
Although they greatly enhance your gaming experience, £249 is a bit expensive isn't it? I know graphics in games are now getting even better and more realistic by the year, just look at Max Payne on the PC,pretty amazing isn't it?

Not everyone out there can afford to pay £250 in one go can they? I certainly can't! Most games out now will probably work on a £69.99 Voodoo3! So why bring out these highly expensive graphics cards out now? Why not wait until the games are actually photo-realistic. The only games which require these sort of cards are Max Payne and the amazing Sacrifice.

If they cost £250 now, just imagine how much they will cost in a couple of years when the games actually look photo-realistic.

Divalls
Sun 03/09/00 at 19:58
Freeloader.com is a fantastic idea,I just wish that more sites like this would become available for other stuff to download.
Freeloader.com is simply fantastic
Sun 03/09/00 at 11:29
Does anyone know why the PC isn't the most common and popular gaming Platform?

The Cost.

Your average person does not want to invest £1500 only to have to pay it again in a couple of years time as his Computer doesn't have enough Memory or a good enough Graphics Card to play any games. ie: 3 years ago I spend £1600 on PC with a P 133, 32mb RAM and a 4mb ATI Graphics Card. After 2 years it wouldn't play practiclly any games. I have been offered £50 for it at a loss of £1550. Yes I've lost £1550 just for two years of Game Playing(Imagine if you had just spent £1000 on a state of the art TV only to be told it wasn't compatible with all the normal channels it had worked fine with like BBC and ITV)

On the other hand if at the same time I had invested £150 in a Playstion it would have played every game I had bought for with no instalation and compatability problemns. and I could have sold it today for £60 easily.

OK so the Playstation maybe doesn't have as wide a selection of games and is much slower and the graphics aren't as good... but most normal people don't mind that if it saves them money.
Sat 02/09/00 at 19:35
Everyday PC's are becoming more and more advanced and with it so are the games, but as every PC enthusiast will tell you there are no games which actually push the latest PC's to the limit in fact far from it. So will there ever reach a time where even the fastest PCs endure slowdown when playing the latest new release? Personally I cant see it because every developer is cutting down polygons here and there in order that the majority of PC gamers can still play it in its full glory. In an age where wonderful new technology becomes old within a month, it is not econiominal for producers and developers a like to go as far as they can with a game. That shows console developers one major advantage over their PC comrades- everyone who has that console can play every game they produce. The disadvantage is that they are limited by what they can achieve, but as long as their making money and keeping the gaming public happy who cares. I mean not every PC owner has the money to keep updating their system every year with new graphics cards or processors, i myself are finding it hard to update my system to keep up with the new games even though ihave spend hundred of pounds in the last few years doing up my machine. Another problem console gamers rarely have to put up with is the dreaded crash. You have been playing a level for a no. of hours u are about to complete it when crash the screen sticks asnd your computer ends up going through scan disk after being reset. I could go on for hours about the good things about Pc gaming but I have probably bored you to tears already, so i'll end by saying that if and when a game limits the pc I hope I can play it.
Sat 02/09/00 at 11:59
I just brought my copy of Rugby 2000 for the PC and I honestly think it is the best game that I have ever played on and I advise everyone to go and buy this game. Why should I?, most of you would be asking. Well if you ever played Jonah Lomu Rugby it is about 10 times better than that. It has 20 international teams to choose from including all the Real players and stats from the World Cup in 1999. The build, height, and player numbers are all real so Lomu is massive and takes someone strong and big to tackle him, just like real life. I think the Weather is the best feature of the game by far. The pitch gets scuffed and worn after a while and ads that extra touch of realism to the game. There are tons of different camera angels and the 23 stadiums looks great including Twickenum and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. The game modes are the World Cup, 6 nations, Tri-Nations, Bledisloe Cup, Calcutta cup, friendly match and training. Bill Mclaren and Jamie Salmon apply the commentary in English while there is an alternative French Commentary if you want to listen to that. The controls are very very easy to get use to and it doesn’t take long to pick up the basics for the game. The multiplayer feature is a load of fun especially because my friend Ian has to use the Keyboard and it is hard to control using this. So I always beat him. The sound is brilliant, from grunts, tackle noises, and crunches it really sounds Superb. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who has a PC and I advise you to use a PC Controller because it is awkward using the keyboard to control. The graphics are great using a VooDoo3 and it runs well on an Athlon 500 with 128mb Ram. Overall the game is Outstanding and at £30 it is a real bargain.
Fri 01/09/00 at 15:37
Regular
Gta is pretty good as well, but thats all.
Fri 01/09/00 at 10:08
Regular
"Walking Stick Neede"
What happened to the man that got caught? Did he get locked up. People who pirate games should, its stupid.
Fri 01/09/00 at 04:57
Have you seen the cooling system of a 1GHtz proccessor!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.