GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/01/00 at 14:43
Regular
When PS 2 gets here it will give people what they really want: brilliant games and graphics and no hassle. PC's are just too awkward for the uninitiated. Their only selling point before was their power. The next generation consoles will make this difference tiny. No wonder Bill Gates wants to make a console!
Tue 10/10/00 at 13:55
Soon all those mails you send and all that surfing you do may be monitored, not only by the company you work for (if you use the net at work) but by the government and by any authority authorised to snoop.
In the non-digital world, this would be like a police officer or your boss constantly looking though your lounge window, or sorting through your post and opening anything that looks 'dodgy' This would be against the law and seen as a crime, but in the digital world it will soon be perfectly acceptable.
Why do it? Partly because companies need to keep a track of how employees use their equipment and the costs for internet usage. This is acceptable, although looking through e-mails is worrying if you need to send something personal, even if it is to the personnel department. Worse is the way that the authorities can look at how you use the net at home. ISPs are to be made to give up any data they keep (which includes emails and web site lists for individuals) if there is anything that the authorities want to check out. This contrivines the European directives but our govenment do not care about this, they want to keep an eye on everyone and keep the people under their control.
Of course, this is my view on the subject, but either way it's pretty worrying for all of us that use the net even for legitimate reasons.
Sat 07/10/00 at 14:40
I could envision this feature on furute versions of Microsft Windows and likewise:

When an error-message occurs, a single text-input-box should be added, where all the obscenities you input, would be accumulated in an email, and sent to the programmers once a month...
Fri 06/10/00 at 14:04
I am dismayed at the number of people and companies that are trying to make PC's cute. We've had "fun" Afterdark screensavers, ridiculous "Monimals" and even virtual cats, dogs and aliens.

When will people realise that the PC is actually a soul sucking monster that lurks on your desk waiting for the next opportunity to suck you sould dry of anything resembling normal and sane human behaviour. If people - especially software creators would only realise this simple fact then we could have some really satisfying "recreational" titles.

I can envisage one that may be called "PC Exterminator" whereby when you get particularly frustrated you click on the appropriate icon to bring up a dialogue box that says: "How would you like to exterminate your PC today?" Under this there might be a number of options like "Violent Explosion", Infestation by Alien Silicon Eating Insects" or "Dissolving in Disgusting Goo". Selecting the desired means of destruction would then bring up a variety of things like simulated video footage showing the demise of your PC, preferably with an interactice element to it. The interactive element is particularly important so that you can personally get your own back on the specific bit, say the hard drive, that is causing you grief. Of course there would have to be some mechanism that lets you really appreciate the suffering you are inflicting on your PC. Finally I would expect to see a suitably humbled and chastened PC after all this.

But what does anyone else think? What other things could be done to horribly maim and disfigure your PC (In a non-permanent way?)
Mon 02/10/00 at 13:39
I think Double_O_Daves absolutely right about being lost in a never ending maze of stats and numbers. Its too much like hard work to play! Thats spoils the whole purpose of computer games...FUN and ENJOYMENT of playing! Champ Manager 2 97/98 was spot on when it came to stats...not too many, yet it was never stingy on them either!

I also got Champ Three as soon as it came out after owning the 97/98 edition, but just like Dave I played about four or five games before deciding that, in comparison to the 97/98 edition, it wasnt much fun to play! To much stats, too much hard work...damn and I don't even get paid to play it! Now whers the fun in that!

M.
Mon 02/10/00 at 13:16
That all sounds great, but the big question is, can you decide how to improve your stadium? I feel that it has been the only feature missing from any of the Championship manager games. I got Champ 3 shortly after it came out and was very disappointed with it, after many a hour spent playing the 97/98 version of Champ 2 I could hardly wait to play the third game. I got it on my PC as fast as possible, and was totally lost in a world of unlimeted stats and strange names, I think I played about 4 games before I went back to Champ 2. The new version of Champ 3 could be great, but it won't be, it too will be missing the fun element that made the series, but it'll still do great, unless some1 decides to remake the classic Football Director, but I don't see that happening.
Mon 02/10/00 at 13:05
That would be really great, but it'll never happen. These companies know that we'll buy what they tell us too and that we'll need to upgrade twice a year. Hopefully soon people will stop upgrading and think to themselves 'Hey, my PC's fast enough for me' and then maybe these companies will slow down the releases of new chips, here's hoping.
Sun 01/10/00 at 13:07
God it is so boring,
The same story ever time AMD make some thing faster than Pentium then Pentium makes some better.
But then AMD Brings out the Athalon which blow Pentium out of the water, and this seems fine I decides to make my own PC, and intend to use a Athalon 1000hz, then I find out that they got a Thunder bird and I can't find out what the difference is. They are just trying to milk the market dry before the Pentium 4 come out, this is pure crap they are trying to get us to buy t Athalon then upgrade later to something Elsa but they say that you need to have compatible hardware so you can't buy a Pentium with out replacing your mother board.

I want all processors companies to make there socket, slot, pin configuration uniformed, this will aid competition because the user will be able to upgrade more readily, and if they have a good chip they shouldn't worry they will sell more in the end any way.

I welcome comments
Thu 21/09/00 at 16:18
RUGBY 2001 is the Best game I have played on in ages. It is very realistic and has all the players and stats from the 1999 Rugby World Cup.
It Features all the teams that were in the world cup and also includes the following stadiums
Auckland,
Belfast,
Baziers,
Bordeaux,
Bristol,
Caridiff,
Dublin,
Ellis Park,
Galashields,
Glasgow,
Huddersfield,
Leicester,
Lens,
Limerick,
LLanelli,
Melbourne,
Murrayfield,
Paris,
Rome,
Sydney,
Toulose,
Twickenham,
Wrexham,
The best feature of the game has to be the weather. If it is rainy the pitch will get scuffed and worn where players have been running or where scrums have taken place.
The Game Modes Are:
World Cup 1999,
Friendly,
6 Nations,
Tri nations,
Bledisole Cup,
Calcutta Cup,
Training,
The gameplay is fast like the fifa football games and it is very enjoyable. A Must Buy
Wed 20/09/00 at 14:50
When a console can help me compose music(cubase not some
joke like music 2000) and send digital holiday pics to my gran in America and do 1001 things other than play games
then i might buy one ,by the way all you pc owner's worried that the x-box will mean the end of pc gaming think again,x-box games are going to be written in direct x so porting either way will be a doddle for debelopers
Fri 08/09/00 at 20:20
I was thinking of buying Soldier of Fortune, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me from experience what it is like. I heard that you can shoot off limbs off people, is that true?????
Please tell me.
Makid

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.