GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FF10 - first impressions..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/05/02 at 18:55
Regular
A little disapointed to be honest. I know i have only played it for an hour and a half so far, but to be honest at the moment it doesnt feel like i have done anything apart from watched with a little bit of walking and really really easy fights in between.

For me, its not started off at all like any of the previous games, they seemed to throw you into the action straight off, you got to actually do some playing while the story got off to a rushing start, this game hasnt done that to me yet, and this is one of the most important parts of the game.

You have to say that a game really needs a good begining to get things up and running, FF10 starts pretty slow....then with the blitzball scene it gets really good and im starting to think im back in FF, them something strange happens and the game just slowed down again.

Its not all bad, im intrigued to find out whats happening next, and it does seem to be building to something big, its just that, well, i think the graphics may have gone to Squares head at the minute, so far i havent played, i have watched, i hope its starts to improve in that aspect soon.

Got to say though, the graphics and character animations are very nice indeed, but still, a little more play would be nice sometime soon.
Page:
Sat 25/05/02 at 23:26
I think its excellent so far ok? ive only had it for a few hours and im already loving it. Everything looks so goooooooood!!! And i love the battle sequences, they are so real. I have only just got to the blitzball area, not played a game yet though. I think pro evo is being a bit too harsh on the game so far, as for slow downs, i haven't noticed much of them yet, unless intended. This game storline so far is good, and is jaw-dropping, definately impressed me.
Sat 25/05/02 at 23:39
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Rinoa how are you getting on FF6? I just got off Mt.Zozo and just wondering around different towns
Sat 25/05/02 at 23:45
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well, for me, its gone from ok to now amazing. Just been playing it for about 5 hours now and im loving it even more than i did MGS2. The story line is coming on great, and these graphics of the different worlds and the way the people move about and just act is superb. And whats better, finally the fights are becoming a challenge.

This is turning into the best FF ever for me, something that finally beats FF7!
Sun 26/05/02 at 10:37
Regular
I think I still need to play some more of FF10 because I am finding it a bit boring and slow going in places. It does pick up when the battles happen. I am about 10 hours into the game.
I like how you upgrade the characters with the sphere grid and how you can swap characters during battles and the characters move realistically.
The graphics are very good, but I am trying to get used to the black borders (I wish they had inlcluded a 60hz mode). The voice acting and cut scenes imo are excellent. So far it is OK but a bit boring but I am hoping it will improve a lot.
Sun 26/05/02 at 10:39
Regular
"football fanatic"
ive seen reviews on this product in metion and i think it looks dull and boring
Sun 26/05/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I'm really annoyed at the moment for 2 reasons!

1) I need an ability sphere urgently! I was meaning to save 1 for Wakka so he could learn "steal Ability" but I forgot and used my last one on some other move. Now I haven't got any ability spheres and I need one to get the "Steal Ability" move. I'm sure that must be a move that makes enemies drop ability spheres, so if I have that, I shouldn't be short in future. But I need a damn ability sphere in the first place and I can't find one!!!! Any ideas? Also, I need a luck sphere. I did find one towards the beginning of the game and it turned an empty node into a Luck +4 node. So I need a luck sphere to raise my luck by 4. I dunno what luck does, but it sounds good so I want it. And I'm not moving my character past it till I get a luck sphere! And that character is currently on sphere level 9!

2) I want to play FFX loads more today but I seriously need to revise for my Biology and Maths exams this week. I have Geography and English Literature tomorrow, Tuesday I have Biology and Wednesday I have Maths. AARRGGHH!! After that I can play it for as long as I want since I only have English Language before a 10 day gap which splits my exams. Why I'm on here I don't know. I really should revise now but I feel the need to look at more minidisc hi-fis. I have found a very nice Panasonic one at the stupidly low price of 200 pounds!

Anyway, back to FFX. Just for a second. It's a better game than MGS2 me thinks. And to think it's my first FF experience. I only ever played FF7 and that was extremely briefly. I thought it was total poo. But this is brilliant! Although how fights were ever tactical without the switch character mid-fight option is beyond me. Didn't that suck?
Sun 26/05/02 at 11:19
Regular
No. FF7 is my favourite FF game of all. I've played FF7 - FF10. FF7 had a great storyline and I really liked how you could equip special stones (I can't remember what they were called) to your weapons which gave you different abilities and your abilities would get better has you fought in more and more battles.
Sun 26/05/02 at 15:10
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
the first 5 hours are quite boring but then blitzball is introduced and from there it gets a lot better. i feel that the bosses haven't actually felt like bosses until the beach boss. i'm currently stuck on Djose temple trial at 10:24 hours. can anyone help me out here?
Sun 26/05/02 at 15:24
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Right, here's how I've found it so far;

Cut-scene. Walk along a little. Cut-scene. Walk a little further. Cut-scene. Fight. Cut-scene. Walk along. Cut-scene. Fight. Cut-scene. Fight.

It's coming across as an interactive movie at the moment, whether this was Square's intentions is anyone's guess, but, one strangely I've found quite compelling and engrossing so far.
Sun 26/05/02 at 15:27
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Vottanator wrote:
1) I need an ability sphere urgently!

You can find 4 at once later on after you have finished at the Temple of Djose, there's a chest in the road on the way to the next Temple (just before the Moonflow) that has them in it.

I think FFX is definitely the best in the series so far. Being able to give your Aeons abilities as well as their usual attacks, and being able to customise your party in so many ways is a real Godsend; the replayability factor is immense, especially considering I'm only using the Beginners' Sphere Grid at the moment.

I bought it on Saturday morning, clocked up 13 hours straight during the day, have been playing it again since 10:00am this morning, and just took a break now for foodage. Then I'm off on my pilgrimage again to collect more Aeons.

The reviewer from Edge who gave this a 6/10 can't have been an RPG fan. I'd have given it 16/10. And I haven't even started collecting Blitzball players yet. Let alone finding Cid. Or completing my party. And I've got to backtrack later to find a couple of Al Bhed primers that I think I'm missing. Then there's that Luck Sphere I've yet to find. And a couple of blank spots on the Sphere Grid that I want to fill in (well, ok, a couple of hundred then).

And I'm still trying to invoke the 777 lucky strikes. (Remember in FF7 if your character dropped to exactly 777HP they'd start hitting with 9999 damage no matter if it was against a normal monster or Sephiroth at the end? I'm still trying to get one of my chars to exactly 777HP to see if the same trick is in FFX as well).

Ah well, fiends here we come...
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.