GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soldier of Fortune II"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/05/02 at 15:47
Regular
Anyone played the test version? What did you think?
Theres so much action in this its addictive! Ive been playing it all day ... must stop...

Whats the release date for the UK, anyone know?
Fri 14/06/02 at 23:36
Regular
"A man with a stick"
You should really put that in the review section lawless, many people posting here already have the game so can't really appreciate some of the things your saying. Good post though, but just one thing, who compared the game to MGS? It's the first I've heard the two games been compared to each other.

Anyway, I'm trying to infiltrate an enemy compound where I have to rescue that guy who made the virus, again like most other levels in the game, it's hard, but bloody fun.
Fri 14/06/02 at 19:29
Here's my view on the game:

Just when John Mullins thought that the threat was over and that Hawk and his enterourage were crushed beneath his combat boots and SGI 441 Machine Guns, he is bought out by the highest bidder, bored of his normal life, and yearning for a lifestyle to suit his bloodlust. As in his outing with Hawk, he recieves his pay-packets from 'The Shop', an underground group hell-bent on protecting what they love, and that, in this instance, is the great 'ol US of A. The rescue of a VIP in Prague quickly culminates into a biological war, with someone releasing a plague, which can instantly eliminate entire towns in one small blast. Your mission: go in, shoot anything that moves, and if you're still alive, try and find out what the hell is going on!

The Soldier of Fortune series has been compared to that of Metal Gear Solid time and time again, but they are really difficult to compare in my opinion, they are different games. MGS requires stealth and slyness, where in SoF, serving up a grenade pie is a great way to make friends. Dead friends are the best kind in the world of SoF. Anyway, moving on, SoF2's plot is more like that of a blockbuster action film, taking many elements of great films like True Lies and Terminator 2 and congelomerating them into one complete package, which when added with several million lines of code and some textures, makes Soldier of Fortune 2. It is diversely different to the original counterpart, but in a good way, in that the gameplay system has been tweaked to a detail, and the graphics are vastly improved.

The gameplay is quite similar to the original, in that you have a display, showing your ammo, health, and armor etc, the only different being that it looks more high-tech, different colour scheme etc, which, of course, we expect from a sequel of such a game. The major improvement is the '32 point' system, which makes it possible to mutilate your enemy in 32 different ways. Whether it be caving in their face with a shotgun and stabbing their brain, or slicing off their fingers one-by-one, it makes for ultra-violent gaming, but should only be played by mature gamers. The graphics have been perfected no end, and it looks even better than the original. Lush textures and amazing character models make this one of the most impressive games, graphically, in a long, long time. For example, the enemies now have seperate fingers, instead of a large block of skin with lines down. The audio is not really different, but still maintains a decent standard, with gunshots soundind brilliant and realistic. It's no Medal of Honour, but it's still pretty damn good! On a quick note, the Multiplayer mode was a slight disappointment to me. I loved the original version of it, but this version just didn't grab me, and I took a dislike to the maps immidiately. Also, unless you have a monster-of-a-pc, you will get the frame-rate falling diversely.

Soldier of Fortune 2 is a nice addition to the series, and I'm glad that Raven Software made this 'update', because that's how I feel it is, because it offers something new to the series, but it didn't grab me the way I intended. The overall presentation is incredibly sloppy, with corrupted files on occasion and a somewhat on-and-off performance on computers that are more than a few months old. The graphics, sound and gameplay are all excellent, and there are hardly any niggles to deal with, except the occasional texture difficult etc, but no real problems. SoF2 still seems to last, even without an engrossing multiplayer mode, but I hope that the forthcoming 'Resident Evil' mod will help to spice up the multiplayer mode considerably. My advice to budding gamers: try before you buy, this may not be for you.

:P

When's that damn Resevil mod coming out!?
Fri 14/06/02 at 13:29
Regular
Ooh stoppit! I'm not a huge fan of wanton violence but this game really appeals to me. :p
Fri 14/06/02 at 13:27
Regular
"A man with a stick"
King Of Such, believe me, it'll be worth the wait. Especially if you’re a big action and FPS fan like myself.

Anyway, did anyone else notice that on the prison level, the prisoner who helps you escape seems to have a super Uzi? Everytime he shot someone, he sent their limbs flying off, and sometimes even shot them in half. I couldn't even do that with an AK47! He got a bit cocky though and tried to take on that guy with the M60-machine gun, he lost.

I just got the OICW gun, and it's probably the best gun in the game. It carries 18 grenades, has a sniper scope with a range of functions and can highlight which people are enemy targets, making it easier to aim for them. I love this game.
Fri 14/06/02 at 11:44
Regular
Mmmmmmm, sounds delicious. I'll have a medium-rare slice of SOF 2 please, with a pinch of shotgun. Can't wait.
Fri 14/06/02 at 11:32
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm on the hospital level now, it's bloody fun. It reminds me of John Woo's Hard Boiled, with the big gun fight in the hospital at the end. Probably why I enjoy the level so much.
Fri 14/06/02 at 09:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm now blowing up the labs.
Have done all but the last one and it's damned hard.
Thu 13/06/02 at 20:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
mantaman wrote:
> Help!
>
> I have shut down the power in the caves and have climbed up the lift
> shaft to where the trucks are, but where now? I've killed everyone
> and cannot see where I need to go to get to the virus production
> area.
>
--

Ok, I disabled the power grid and got to the yellow train room.
Then got stuck for 2hrs.
Then realised you disconnect the train from the carriages using the coupler.

Damn that annoys me when I do things like that.
Thu 13/06/02 at 15:35
mantaman,

There is a switch over beside some metal railings and when you press it something blows up, or falls, or something! Then go down the elevator shaft and along the passage, and the door that was previously blocked is now blown away!

I got stuck at this bit for a while!

Phil
Thu 13/06/02 at 13:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've just reached the caves, will let you know when I reach your situation.
Damned Dirty roof-trapdoor had me foxed for many a minute

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.