GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Daily Game Chat Thread Thingy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/16 at 14:14
"possibly impossible"
I'm sure we had one of these before, but as we've got nowhere else on the forums for general game chat, here it is....

Page:
Mon 17/10/16 at 09:04
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

dav2612 wrote:
I've played a couple of games of the Battlefield 1 multiplayer now. It seems nobody plays Team Deathmatch these days so Conquest it is. All a bit large scale chaos for me but I possibly would enjoy it more if I didn't die all the time. I don't have the patience to try and improve on these things.

Completed a 2nd run through on Bioshock. New Game + on Easy and it really was a stroll in the park. Still haven't found all those audio logs though.I definitely came across a couple I've not heard before.

I found all of them once, but never again. Some of them are just stupidly well hidden, others you see and think "I'll go get that later", (like one of them early on trapped in ice, and no fire at hand), in fact it's a mission all of it's own to get them all.

Side tracked back to Fallout 4 myself. All the new DLC stuff, Nuka World etc. has got me hooked again.
Mon 17/10/16 at 08:59
Regular
"And in last place.."
I've played a couple of games of the Battlefield 1 multiplayer now. It seems nobody plays Team Deathmatch these days so Conquest it is. All a bit large scale chaos for me but I possibly would enjoy it more if I didn't die all the time. I don't have the patience to try and improve on these things.

Completed a 2nd run through on Bioshock. New Game + on Easy and it really was a stroll in the park. Still haven't found all those audio logs though.I definitely came across a couple I've not heard before.
Sun 16/10/16 at 15:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Not run Shadow Warrior 2 yet ... sort of keeping it in the background at the minute. Battlefield 1 needs a pre-load as well, for a similar reason. Quite enjoying Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, now that I've got to grips with the 'game mechanics' ... the 'side missions' are quite good but a bit of a pain when they pop up during your main objective, the map gets a bit confusing at times ;¬)

Post edited by DL on 16/10/2016 at 15:10.
Sat 15/10/16 at 12:01
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Pre-load of Battlefield 1(PC) today - 40.39GB ...

Downloaded Shadow Warrior 2 the other evening ... 13GB
Fri 14/10/16 at 17:55
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

dav2612 wrote:
The beach landing scene in MoH is exactly what the start reminded me of. A little less chaotic perhaps.

I've played as much of the single player as the trial allows which is a shame as I'm not interested in the multiplayer at all.

I think this might well be one of those I re-visit once it's been out a while, once there are some solid, grounded reviews and a bit of info about the length and depth of the single player part.

It annoys me that games devs tout single player as a "harder sell" instead of being honest and admitting that single player means "takes longer to produce a winner".

Multiplayer = not overly large maps, not much in the way of story, dialogue, background etc., one tried and tested set of game mechanics and no real ending. I'm sure every multiplayer fan will disagree, but...

GOOD single player = a proper story, lots of dialogue, varied and unique game mechanics, a proper ending, re-playability, big maps and (preferably) mods. Much harder to produce.

Post edited by chasfh on 14/10/2016 at 17:55.
Fri 14/10/16 at 17:15
Regular
"And in last place.."

chasfh wrote:
Sounds a lot like the original Medal of Honour game in "style", which I absolutely loved; chaos, in the form of the initial beach run, sneaky - sneaky sniper bits, some demolition with sticky bombs on tanks and loads of other really varied and interesting missions. But that WAS a single player game mainly, and all the more enjoyable for it.

Can't escape the niggling feeling I'd be disappointed by a really short, insignificant single player experience designed for the sole purpose of "gettin' you hooked" so that you play online. EA have done it too often to discount.

The beach landing scene in MoH is exactly what the start reminded me of. A little less chaotic perhaps.

I've played as much of the single player as the trial allows which is a shame as I'm not interested in the multiplayer at all.
Fri 14/10/16 at 16:41
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

dav2612 wrote:
The tutorial sections informs you that you are on the frontline and not expeced to survive. It came across as a morbid reality check rather than a challenge. And sure enough, it was chaos.

You support the ground troops when you are in the tank by taking out the big guns. Or get distracted like I do by testing out just how good the handling is on this beast. Next section was scouting ahead to make sure there was no ambush. Sneaking through the woods and using the binoculars to locate some enemies. The stealth section had me nipping through the farm buildings. The top of the windmill is a great spot to scope the place. I accidentally swapped to my non-silenced sniper rifle and took aim. A great head shot followed by the windmill becoming somewhat more airy and then more furnace like. It had been going so well up till that point too. And then some tank on tank action in the train yard. It certainly kept me up passed my bedtime. The icing on the cake for me was the Scottish boss man (can't remember his ranking) calling me a name I've not heard since my school days.

Sounds a lot like the original Medal of Honour game in "style", which I absolutely loved; chaos, in the form of the initial beach run, sneaky - sneaky sniper bits, some demolition with sticky bombs on tanks and loads of other really varied and interesting missions. But that WAS a single player game mainly, and all the more enjoyable for it.

Can't escape the niggling feeling I'd be disappointed by a really short, insignificant single player experience designed for the sole purpose of "gettin' you hooked" so that you play online. EA have done it too often to discount.
Fri 14/10/16 at 16:05
Regular
"And in last place.."

chasfh wrote:
See that all sounds great, rather annoyingly...

And war isn't fun... unless it's high res.

The tutorial sections informs you that you are on the frontline and not expeced to survive. It came across as a morbid reality check rather than a challenge. And sure enough, it was chaos.

You support the ground troops when you are in the tank by taking out the big guns. Or get distracted like I do by testing out just how good the handling is on this beast. Next section was scouting ahead to make sure there was no ambush. Sneaking through the woods and using the binoculars to locate some enemies. The stealth section had me nipping through the farm buildings. The top of the windmill is a great spot to scope the place. I accidentally swapped to my non-silenced sniper rifle and took aim. A great head shot followed by the windmill becoming somewhat more airy and then more furnace like. It had been going so well up till that point too. And then some tank on tank action in the train yard. It certainly kept me up passed my bedtime. The icing on the cake for me was the Scottish boss man (can't remember his ranking) calling me a name I've not heard since my school days.
Fri 14/10/16 at 15:20
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."

dav2612 wrote:
I think it is probably safest to go with that opinion. I did one mission with 4 chapters and it did seem more varied than I had expected. Some on foot sections, tank driving to support the ground troops, scouting ahead, some stealth and some tank vs tank action. There does also seem to be a tone suggesting that war isn't fun.

See that all sounds great, rather annoyingly...

And war isn't fun... unless it's high res.
Fri 14/10/16 at 14:59
Regular
"And in last place.."

chasfh wrote:
Opinions seem somewhat divided on this one then. Still not entirely convinced, as I suspect it'll be multiplayer-heavy with the single player game somewhat underplayed, but we'll see...

I think it is probably safest to go with that opinion. I did one mission with 4 chapters and it did seem more varied than I had expected. Some on foot sections, tank driving to support the ground troops, scouting ahead, some stealth and some tank vs tank action. There does also seem to be a tone suggesting that war isn't fun.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.