GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web Design - General Chat"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/04/02 at 22:46
Regular
I was going through the archive earlier and came across Turbo’s Web Design Pledge. Although I can vaguely remember this when it happened, I thought nothing of it, but upon reading it again, something really caught my eye.

“However, the forum is just being "used". Where as forums like the FOG are ever-popular, with people visiting regularly and generally having fun, the Web Design forum is merely being "used" for question and such like. Well, no longer! I want to turn this forum into a proper community.”

He is right here, this forum is only really used by people wanting questions answered, but I think that this forum is probably the best on the site. Mainly because nearly everyone in here knows what they are talking about. But I don’t like how the forum is used just for questions.

So here is what I propose, we use this thread for general chat. Not just web design, anything at all. Since not many people pass through this forum anymore, it won’t get spammed up too much, it’ll just be a place where people can go to be themselves.

If it doesn’t work, then fine. I just think this thread will be able to make this forum more of a community.

So… what’s up everyone? :0)
Page:
Tue 28/05/02 at 15:26
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Photoshop already has drop showdow effects, and you can change pretty much everything on it, colour, density, all that jazz.
But thanks for the tip, I can't think i've need effects like that in Flash though...tis probably why everything looks so dull :)
Tue 28/05/02 at 09:25
Fog wrote:
> Can you add drop shadow to text in Flash? I would have thought so but
> i've never seen it...

I've never tried that, but an old trick in Photoshop which should be just as good in Flash is :-

1) Copy the text and paste it into the same document (different layer)
2) Make the newly pasted text black
3) Position it where you want the drop shadow to be
4) Now you have the position, you can
a) colour the text a lighter shade of black, or
b) you could convert the text to an object and play around with it's Alpha settings until you get it to look something like you want. Personally, I would go for the first option, it's easier, and less processor intensive when it gets downloaded, I always find messing with the Alpha stuff can increase download times.

In Photoshop you could blur it a bit, but there are filters for that now... not like the old days...

Hope that helps.
Sun 26/05/02 at 14:06
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Can you add drop shadow to text in Flash? I would have thought so but i've never seen it...

Yeah Flash text is pretty boring but it works nice as a rollover, takes an age to set it all up though, and the bad thing I hate about flash is linking stuff, if it goes wrong or if you change the page's location it takes a while to fix it, whereas images take a few seconds, but then i'm lazy :p
Sun 26/05/02 at 14:02
Regular
"relocated"
Fog wrote:
> Also, the normal 'images' I made were only about 2Kb I always thought
> Flash files would be bigger than that.

Well, the Flash Text feature on Dreamweaver only offers limited features (font, size, bold, italics, bg colour, rollover colour, alignment) so the files are small but dull. I haven't got into Flash itself yet, so I don't know what would happen to file size if you added a drop shadow for example.

Images are probably best for more complex stuff: I'll experiment a bit.
Sun 26/05/02 at 13:41
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Bah, i'm not trying to spam here but about 96% of the international websurfers have a Flash plugin, would have thought most would have Flash plugin v5 by now.
Sun 26/05/02 at 13:40
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Also, the normal 'images' I made were only about 2Kb I always thought Flash files would be bigger than that.
Sun 26/05/02 at 13:38
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
It's just like drawing an image, I think hes refering to the option in Dreamweaver where you can write any text in Flash and it generates it for you.

Just write it in Fireworks or whatever, make an image file and put that on your site.

kinda like what I did for my site: www.enterthefog.tk I wanted to use the motion blur on my headings, I can't do that in HTML so i made images and inputted them in that way.
Sun 26/05/02 at 13:38
Regular
"relocated"
Sorry: it's a magical Dreamweaver feature that creates a flash movie, that just shows a bit of text. They're quite small (~2KB) if you're just using a single line of text: but it's font independent, obviously. I just don't know if everyone has a flash plugin.
Sun 26/05/02 at 13:16
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
unknown kernel wrote: 1. Use flashtext, and have the worry that some people won't have the plug-in and won't see anything.

--------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

What is flashtext, may I ask?????????
Sun 26/05/02 at 13:12
Regular
"relocated"
Quick question, not worthy of its own topic:

I have numerous 'headlines' on my website, which I want to display in the same font (BankGothic Md BT) that my banners etc are written with. I don't /think/ this is a very common font, although it has ended up on my system regardless. As far as I can see I have three choices:

1. Use flashtext, and have the worry that some people won't have the plug-in and won't see anything.
2. Show them as images - and use up extra bandwidth.
3. Do it in CSS, but then have some people not having the font and seeing something different -> my site looks amateurish.

At the moment I'm leaning towards option 1 - and the hell with the luddites! - but I'd be grateful for any sage advice you lot have to offer.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.