GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has Activision bought Rare?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 14:13
Regular
http://c64.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1658

Check out this latest rumour - apparently, Activision have just bought Rare. These are currently rumours, so here's your challenge - go find me some evidence! Scour news sites, find me some info! Help the News Monkey break this story to the world! Report back here and let me know if you find out anything, ANYTHING at all about this story.

Fly me pretties, fly!
Thu 11/04/02 at 22:00
Regular
Ant wrote:

"I just always associate Nintendo games with Rare."

And that, is why you fail.
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:54
Regular
"I like cheese"
Seinfeld_Enthusiast wrote:
> Ant wrote:

Same here, the only Rare games I could ever consider buying
>
> are Perfect Dark and Goldeneye. Others like Mario and Zelda just don't appeal
> to
> me.

I think Shigsy would have something to say if you told him Mario
> and Zelda were Rare-produced; they are the archetypal Nintendo franchises, not
> Rare's.

True. :D Sorry, I just always associate Nintendo games with Rare.
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:47
Regular
Well the last game he worked on for them was
> Goldeneye. After that he left to form his own company.

Is it Dr Doak by anychance of Free Radical Design?

What I wanna know
> though is where Snuggle me ol' boy, heard this from in the first place!?!

www.gamesradar.co.uk

Also remember they caused all the fuss in the first place by pointing out the card had hidden meanings... whats their gain? Some sort of exclusive coup?
Thu 11/04/02 at 21:36
I would love for this to be true as it would be like the joys and pains (for ninties of course) of sega going 3rd party :) Btw Snuggly u used my former tagline in your original post. grrrr
Thu 11/04/02 at 20:05
Ant wrote:

Same here, the only Rare games I could ever consider buying
> are Perfect Dark and Goldeneye. Others like Mario and Zelda just don't appeal to
> me.

I think Shigsy would have something to say if you told him Mario and Zelda were Rare-produced; they are the archetypal Nintendo franchises, not Rare's.

I personally feel that the very nature of Rare's contract with Nintendo is designed so that they cannot be bought out without Nintendo's complete compliance. And it would seem to be very unlikely that Nintendo would sell such a prolific 2nd party.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:38
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I think that many of the Rare games from the N64 will still remain GameCube only, but the fact remains things aren't as "concrete" as they once were.

If Rare really have now been bought out by Activision, then there'll always be that sense of "maybe" with regards to whether Rare games are released on any other formats.
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:35
Regular
ADH wrote:

I've plenty of friends whose "TOP TEN" N64
> games consisted mainly of Rare releases.

Indeed. My top 5 N64 games consist of 3 RARE games. Conkers bad fur day, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.

We have already seen many RARE games for the Gamecube in action. Starfox adventures being probably the most promising. As pointed out earlier, Nintendo own "starfox" so this game will only ever be seen on the Gamecube.
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
SMÉAGOL wrote:
> I think it is a European publishing deal for Rare games.
THQ Published Conkers
> Bad Fur Day in Europe, it was a Rare game, while Nintendo published it in
> America.
Also, It looks like Activision have aquired the rights to publish
> Rogue Leader in Europe rather than Nintendo too.

Although it may be a little surprising having Nintendo finally setup some Euro offices only to licence out game distribution to another company...

It a possibility, given the number of large US companies (LucasArts come to mind) that distribute to the UK via Activision?
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Cooky wrote:
> I'll see an ex-employee of Rare tomorrow and so I'll ask him
> if he's heard
> anything and report back.

:)

---

Ah, but if he's
> an ex-employee then will they still be updating him with things about the
> company?

> How long ago was it when he worked for them?

Well the last game he worked on for them was Goldeneye. After that he left to form his own company.

What I wanna know though is where Snuggle me ol' boy, heard this from in the first place!?!

:)
Thu 11/04/02 at 18:27
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
If its just a publishing deal, all Rare games will still be released on the GameCube, its just the Activision name, as well as Rares, will appear on the game.

This would also mean Rare WONT be going multformat..

Phew :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.