GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has Activision bought Rare?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/04/02 at 14:13
Regular
http://c64.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=1658

Check out this latest rumour - apparently, Activision have just bought Rare. These are currently rumours, so here's your challenge - go find me some evidence! Scour news sites, find me some info! Help the News Monkey break this story to the world! Report back here and let me know if you find out anything, ANYTHING at all about this story.

Fly me pretties, fly!
Fri 12/04/02 at 13:15
Regular
"not dead"
If this was true Rare would have denied it by now.
Fri 12/04/02 at 12:10
"High polygon count"
Well, I'd rather play what's available now, and look forward to what's to come, than drool over a port of some back-catalogue games that didn't interest me in the first place.

The only reason I *would* like to see it be true is because of the ticked-off Ninties it would leave in its wake! :-)
Fri 12/04/02 at 11:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's not like we can't live without them. We can, extremely happily, but if they WERE on the PS2/Xbox, it wou8ld just make those consoles better, and the GameCube would be... worse.

I'm not proud. I don't mind saying I'd love Goldeneye on the PS2, but what Wookiee's saying is it wouldn't be a tragedy, or anything like that, if this story was a load of crap.
Fri 12/04/02 at 11:43
Regular
Well judging by the amount of PS owners I've heard raving about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, I'd say that a lot of you do.
Fri 12/04/02 at 11:38
"High polygon count"
The questions non-Ninties should ask is:

We've had tons of fun without Rare games for 7 or so years, so does it really matter, and do we really care?
Fri 12/04/02 at 11:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Grix Thraves wrote:
>And that, is why you fail.

lol... You old green skinned midget you!
Fri 12/04/02 at 11:35
Regular
"not dead"
Launch Rare games on other platforms 6 months later, people like them, and buy a Gamecube to buy the next game as soon as it's released, rather than wait 6 months for the port.

It could work.
Fri 12/04/02 at 11:21
Regular
Seeing how many N64's Goldeneye sold, I think Rare are worth more to Nintendo exclusive.

I can't imagine Microsoft putting their Halo accross formats for extra money (unless the Xbox does a Dreamcast and it's goes out of contention) or Sony sending GT3 multiformat...
Fri 12/04/02 at 11:14
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Just a thought, but if Nintendo own half of Rare, and Rare make loads of money selling their games on multi-formats, wouldn't that make Nintendo loads of money. Feel free to shoot me down.
Thu 11/04/02 at 22:12
Regular
Would Rare really give up Nintendo, Donkey Kong and Star Fox will make Rare more money than their other franchises (except Perfect Dark) and RARE's Brilliance will never be as good without Nintendo and why? Because EAD are brilliant!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.