GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX vs GAMECUBE vs PLAYSTATION 2"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/04/02 at 10:28
Regular
Well, the war has begun for the number 1 console slot and xbox semms to be taking a firm grasp over the other 2 consoles. Xbox released on the 14 of March and has already sold over 16,000 consoles within the U.K making a much better launch than the Playstation 2 did.

I dont think the gamecube will do to well in this fierce war as the games just arent as exciting as the others and its just not popular enough to beat the massive company of microsoft or the long going playstation era.

I think xbox will turn out to be the daddy of consoles and will beat the playstation and the gamecube, many people will agree that xbox is just to powerfull for the oter two.
Fri 05/04/02 at 10:50
Well, I just heard on radio 1 that due to poor sales of the
xbox, a very high-up man in microsoft has been forced to
resighn. (i cant remember his name). Not a great sign that the xbox is doing very well.
Fri 05/04/02 at 10:15
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Thanks for the tip. I may still consider it. I'll wait for the reviews.
Fri 05/04/02 at 00:34
Regular
"accidental superher"
Gnome_Killer44 wrote:
I'm looking forward to Phantasy Star Online.

you might be in for some disappointment...the gameplay is very shallow -only one three hit combo, guns with the only difference being the colour of the bullets, no story really...bad ai...
well i played pso1 to death...and those are my thoughts on it.
Thu 04/04/02 at 23:15
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Thanks Beanz. I knew I was missing something. Damn. It was right there. And as for being harsh, hey I'm a harsh person. It's ashame that Sega left. I did used to really hate them when it was Nintendo Vs. Sega, but you know after Sony got involved there was kind of a ..... bond, I guess. And that shines through today. Sega, Nintendo and Namco in the 'Triforce' arcade board. Sega have also influenced Nintendo's decision to go on-line dramatically. Which, is no bad thing, I'm looking forward to Phantasy Star Online.
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:28
Regular
"accidental superher"
BIGMAN wrote:
> halo is THE MOST HYPED game ever i reckon...but it's a real corker!

No
> way, Metal Gear Soild 2 was probably the most hyped game!

i was actually referring to XBOX launch titles...not just any title.
i'd actually hazard to say it was more hyped up than mgs2....definitely hyped up for longer...it started a few years before the xbox was actually even thought up when it was being produced for the pc.
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:24
Regular
I agree - Sega made the better console and best games. They deserved to have more support with the Dreamcast but the fickle Joe Public swallowed Sony's advertising and went down the 'other' path. Now Sega's stopped making consoles. A shame. But what's this? Playstation owners raving and ranting about VF4, which is correct me if I'm wrong, a Sega game? Why do these people only see a good game when it's on their console? If it was being released on Dreamcast, Joe Public would be calling it rubbish, would still be climaxing over Tekken, and Special Reserve would not be stocking it. Playstation/2 owners: be quiet - you've already missed out on some 20 amazing games on Dreamcast that your console won't ever see. :o) Even if Special Reserve is among the crowd that ditched Sega as soon as cracks appeared.

At the end of the day, Sony is now on the other side of the table. Where once they had the cash advantage with Sega, spending more on advertising alone than Sega had altogether, now the boot is on someone else's foot and it's Sony's time to get its ar5e kicked.
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:20
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
halo is THE MOST HYPED game ever i reckon...but it's a real corker!

No way, Metal Gear Soild 2 was probably the most hyped game!
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:18
Regular
If the X-Box fails (sales have slowed down dramatically since launch), then who cares? Microsoft is American, and everyone knows they'll do anything to win because of their ego. Microsoft will just buy Sony if they get too far ahead. :oP

And then Nintendo. At least that would be the end of consoles for kids ages 2-5 though, so not a bad thing.

We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile.
Thu 04/04/02 at 19:17
Regular
"accidental superher"
Gnome_Killer44 wrote:

Sure, but it did influence you
> getting an X-Box. Microsoft are always trying to tip the balance by getting big
> franchises like that. To be reasonable DOA 3 was probably X-Box's most hyped
> game.

halo is THE MOST HYPED game ever i reckon...but it's a real corker!

This all happen for the Playstation owners to play on second-rate
> games on a console made by a heartless, corporate giant.

slightly harsh...it's true that there were loadsa bad games released (well that's one of the reasons why i didn't buy the ps1). there were the odd gems hidden among the giant catalogue namely the FF series, mgs.

I myself am quite lucky when
> picking a games console. As Nintendo games are the ones that I just can't get
> enough of, like Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine. So my mind is made up, my
> order is placed, and as long as Nintendo make consoles, it's going to be a
> Nintendo console for me.

that's fine then :)....enjoy your gamecube and i'll enjoy the xbox. you know what you must be one of the first nintendo people who i have actually LIKED talking to...
Thu 04/04/02 at 18:59
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Beanz wrote:

>well one exclusive title doesn't drag people away from a company. if doa 3 was the only game that appealed to me it wouldn't warrant me splashing out 300 quid for the console.

Sure, but it did influence you getting an X-Box. Microsoft are always trying to tip the balance by getting big franchises like that. To be reasonable DOA 3 was probably X-Box's most hyped game.

>naturally...but there is always going to be tension no matter what cos each company wants to be the best.

I thought I'd already pointed that out.

I mentioned the "heading one way at the expense of someone else's" in the light of the Dreamcast. Sony is a very big electronics company. It influence people's decisions to almost the point of being brain-washed, with advertising, which a relatively small company like Sega, can't match up to. Everyone in the "casual gamer" stable passed the Dreamcast over, even though it offers more. So in the end it was the hardcore Sega fans who lost out. I'd also like to point out that people were made redundant too. This all happen for the Playstation owners to play on second-rate games on a console made by a heartless, corporate giant. This I think is just very, very unfair, it would take the most synicle (I think that's how it's spelt) person not to agree. I also think the fact that Sonic appeared on the GameCube first speaks louder than words.

I myself am quite lucky when picking a games console. As Nintendo games are the ones that I just can't get enough of, like Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine. So my mind is made up, my order is placed, and as long as Nintendo make consoles, it's going to be a Nintendo console for me. It £500 for the other consoles on the also means I don't have to fork another market.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.