GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I love my Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/03/02 at 02:09
Regular
Yup.
I got one.
Been hammering Halo with a mate since I got it on Tuesday.
Fantastic game, if only for one feature:

Co-Op Multiplayer.
2 people, split-screen playing the full game. Not deathmatch or any silly extra like that, but 2 of you going through the game together.
I haven't seen that for a loooong time and it makes the world of difference. A fantastic idea that more games should use.

Rallisport Challenge.
Best rally game I've played on any console.
Jet Set Radio Future (or something)
Odd but good. Like Tonty Hawks without the stupid falling off every 12 seconds or big-shorted rock monkeys on the soundtrack.

So why do I like my Xbox?
Because it's quieter than my PS2, loads faster, looks better and I prefer the controllers.
The analogue sticks are in the ideal position, left one slightly higher than the right, as it should be.
Buttons are placed exactly where you need them and it's a top design.

Microsoft have the money to stay the distance.
Sony has had exclusive market to the Gen X gamers, nothing to balance it off, except now there is the Xbox.
And I think that's only a good thing.
A lot of titles are going to be multi-format, which negates the "I must get PS2 for this game!" because you can get or will be able to get, the major Sony titles on the Xbox.
I like the idea that a game can be played on either system, creates a level playing field where the machines compete on equal footing.

I'm not knocking Sony,I'm a devout fan of the PS2 and PSX, but I prefer the Xbox for no real reason other than I love my PC and now I get similar games on a console I can play downstairs having a smoke and pizza with mates around me,instead of hunched over a monitor.
Sun 24/03/02 at 13:39
Regular
"Bah"
i completely disagree with you goaty i found the xbox experience average and in some cases even boring i much prefer my PS2 or if i wanted a game better than Halo id get Perfect Dark which was miles ahead of its time
Sun 24/03/02 at 12:00
I don't think I'll get an XBox until they get rid of the playable one they have over at Curry's. Yay, free XBox gaming! :D
Sun 24/03/02 at 11:40
Perfect Dark has a 2 player co-op and a counter-op and a supreme multiplayer which makes it much better than halo.
Sat 23/03/02 at 15:20
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I think it'll be XBox for me this time around. I've been a Ninty for a while... since the announcement of the 'Ultra 64' being in development. Six, seven years?

Times change though. For starters, I was thirteen when the N64 was released back in 1997. I'd decided on getting one when I was eleven or twelve, basing that on my gaming knowledge prior to then - when I was a kid, basically.

Back when it was Nintendo and Sega, they were both doing the same thing. Just games, games for anyone and everyone who wanted to play them. Now pretty much all games are targetted more or less towards a particular group - and I don't want the ones targetted towards kiddies. Not necessarily because they are cartoony or childish, but because they are deliberately made less challenging and short lived. Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion, for example.

It strikes me that Nintendo are making less and less effort to cater for the older market, and just making sure they have the younger gamers. I'm a fan of Nintendo, but I don't like the direction they're headed. I have a lot of respect for Rare, too. Not being able to play their games if I get an XBox is one thing which will hurt. As for Nintendo, I've been fast losing faith in them over the past year or two.

As of yet, Microsoft haven't put a foot wrong.
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:24
Regular
"Back in black"
Yet again Goaty ans fallen into the system. Into a huge market known as Microsoft.

Oh well.
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:21
Regular
"That's right!"
Happy memories
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:19
Regular
"You've upset me"
Meka Dragon wrote:
I thought Star Wars on the NES was excellent. Levels based on parts
> of the game, you could play as different characters for different scenes, you
> got to ride in the landspeeder, and shoot down Tie fighters. That was pretty
> cool.

Yeah, that kicked ass.
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
So does that mean Rare rip off Doom ? Afterall, many players were enjoying co-op on that game long before Perfect Dark ever came out.

Perfect Dark is nothing compared to Halo. Don't get me wrong, its a good game, but its no Halo. Maximum of 4 people on multiplayer, the intelligence of the enemy is much higher in Halo, vehicles to control, free roaming - no keys/cards for doors to pick up.

Then of course there is the team work with your fellow marines. Perfect Dark is good, but Halo simply stomps it. Gonna have to see what Rare have in store with Perfect Dark Zero. At the moment, Halo is firmly on the FPS throne.
Fri 22/03/02 at 11:55
Regular
"DS..."
Goatboy wrote:
> An informed opinion there.

I take it you'e a Ninty then?

probably a safe assumption methinks ;)
slik ~_~
Fri 22/03/02 at 11:54
Regular
"I confused?"
The tagline might just give it away. just a subtle hint.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.