GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet Dropping out"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/11/07 at 19:28
Regular
Its back! the dreaded internet dropping out again, is it just me? or are other affected?
Fri 23/11/07 at 19:01
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> Hi Hmmm
> I have updated my java and tried again, and got a result!

Pleased to have helped!
I wish my line was as good as yours...

Keep an eye on your new router to see how it behaves!
Have you found where to see your current SNR in the router stats?

www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adslmax
Fri 23/11/07 at 18:54
Regular
Hi Hmmm
I have updated my java and tried again, and got a result!

Sat 15.44
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3268 kbps

Sat 6am result IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5764 kbps

Fri Eve
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5114 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Stats from Router...

System up Time: 5:27:34
CPU Load: 8.60%

WAN Port Statistics:
Link Status: Up
Upstream Speed: 448 kbps
Downstream Speed: 7616 kbps
Node-Link Status TxPkts RxPkts Errors Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
1-PPPoA Up 369420 514418 0 13009 3594 5:17:09

LAN Port Statistics:
Interface: Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions
Ethernet Up 507584 392286 0
Wireless 54M 4451 2918 0

Kev
Fri 23/11/07 at 16:57
"Are you sure?"
BT speedtester
This can be temperamental for some people.
As you aren't getting to the second page it's possible your PC is having a problem with Java - can you try another PC and/or make sure your Java install is all up straight?

This is the only official speedtest that BT will recognise so it would be good for you to get it working. It will also show you your current IP Profile.

I would take the speed the 'BT availability checker' gives you with a massive pinch of salt! - that's not the speed of your line it's just an estimate based on what it's been seeing lately. So as you have been losing connection it's had a re-think.

IP Profile
Are you all clear now with the relationship between you connection speed (sync) and IP Profile?

If you look at your router stats - you will see the connection speed - are you still connected near to the maximum as before?

The most important thing is that your router doesn't keep losing connection as your IP Profile won't recover. You can switch it off overnight etc. but don't restart it a lot within a short space of time or you'll upset the exchange!

Pings
Your pings will be slower as you have interleaving on - as you are next to your exchange you'll be able to request that this is turned off once things are stable for you. If you aren't into gaming then it's not a problem having interleaving on but I think in the past you've said your son is, so you might like to look at that.

Personally I would have gone for a Speedtouch and avoided the AR7 chipset myself for the sake of £20...

Let us know how you get on.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 23/11/07 at 14:26
Regular
Hi Hmmm
It fails after you put your telephone number in and click go! it either just waits for ages (one day I waited an hour) and does nothing like its trying to conect to the next page but it never happens or if I try in the evenings I get the server busy message.

I went with Eccles suggestion with the ZyXel Aaron had set it up to go.....but it didnt go so a quick call to CS and a reset and now we are online again. so far so good! wireless is working and speeds are up! my 4.5 MB line (BTs fastest speed now on my line) just got a 5.9 and wait for it a 6.3 download! not bad for a 4.5 line still getting the odd slow one but thats the internet for you.

Last night I was pinging sites from the run command and this is what BT do to see what is what with speeds etc

start run ping t- www.bbc.co.uk as an example you need to look at the time and double figures is good treble figures is not good and the lower the figure the better your line my line to BBC last night was 28!

Kev
Fri 23/11/07 at 14:00
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> New router now in place about to go and try btspeedtester.com it
> invariably fails! after that I go to entanets speed test page I
> will report back the results

I think you mean: www.speedtester.bt.com/ ;¬)
How far do you get before it fails and what error are you getting?

What router did you go for in the end?
Fri 23/11/07 at 13:57
Regular
I have family that works for them ! friends in high places.
but yes BTW would not speak to me as a customer, I need you guys to do that for me.

New router now in place about to go and try btspeedtester.com it invariably fails! after that I go to entanets speed test page I will report back the results

Kev
Fri 23/11/07 at 12:58
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You go that info from BT Wholesale!? Well done! They don't usually talk to end users directly, only via ISPs as they have no contract with you. Why couldn't they pass that same information on to us?
A line card is the electronic device that your telephone line terminates to at the exchange. Each line card can support a fair few lines, which would explain your neighbours being effected. I think different brands of line card support a different number of lines.

So, give in 2 weeks and if speeds haven't improved then lets us know and we can try chasing BT for stuck profile issues.
Thu 22/11/07 at 22:09
Regular
Right I have been in touch with a contact within BT wholesale, he never told me this!

The linecard more than 1 have been changed? at that exchange recently(means nowt to me)

DSLAM he will look into as nothing showing on the computer about probs with that

He said that if cards have been changed then profile will change, and he has seen it happen that BRAS profiles can stick? at the lower end after a fault. Some times they need to give things up to 15 days to settle.

Kev
Thu 22/11/07 at 19:29
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Very unlikely!
It seems that you may be the victim of BT's 'acceptable limits', i.e. your connection is within fault tolerance limits set by BT and therefore BT will not be obliged to do anything as the tolerance levels dictate that there is no fault.
I would leave interleaving enabled for now. If it wasn't on prior to this fault arising then it means that BT's exchange equipment has picked up on something being not quite right with your connection (noise probably) and interleaving has been enable to try and stabilise your connection (at the expense of reducing you IP Profile). 9 times out of 10 asking BT to turn it off again results in a more unstable connection.
Unfortunately the only thing I can suggest is that you try the new router idea, get as many people in your village who are having similar problems to raise a fault with their ISPs and see if you can work out any common factor that could be causing this, such as street lighting on the telephone poles. Also ask people what router they are using, then we can see if the people effect are using AR7 based routers, causing the problem Hmmm suggested (perhaps BT have swapped a DSLAM recently).
Thu 22/11/07 at 16:09
Regular
No joy! Aaron emailed to say BT ay no faults on line, so if I want an engineer its going to be £188 - so am no happy with that thought at this time of year so I have ordered that router that Eccles suggested,

What I need to know is should we switch of interleaving and get the data rate back up to 8??? bytes and see if we can get some sense of stability back into the system,

Am in a foul temper poor Glen got it in the neck, Sorry Glen. But it just seems so wrong that amny houses are complaining of simmilar issues in the village, yet BT say there is nothing wrong, so every one in Denholm has faulty routers? I suppose its a posibility - but highly unlikely.

Kev

Once again Glen am sorry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.