GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire Strike - Vote Here"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 22:41
Regular
Fact: It's not difficult to recruit Firemen. If they were given a big pay rise then that would be a cue for everybody else too. Taxes would rise dramatically and the economy would melt down. We would all be worse off.

I have two suggestions:

1. Train the armed forces to use up to date fire-fighting equipment and make it illegal for anybody to prevent the use of such equipment.

2. As Firemen have nothing to do except play darts for half their time, why not give them some more work. They could be the town watchers, pouring over cctv monitors to watch for traffic jams, fires and rowdy elements of society, and simply reporting events to the Police as necessary. That could be worth 5% on their pay. Of course they might have to be banned from doing second jobs during the day if they have to stay awake all night watching monitors.

These are exceptionally good and logical ideas. Maybe I should be a Governement adviser.

*_*
Thu 14/11/02 at 13:58
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Personally I would reduce footballers wages or take all their money off them. And people who own more than say a million get taxed 90%, so there.

If you earn more than 50 grand you get charged 40% tax, this stays the same if you have a billion.

No way, spread the wealth maaaaan.
Thu 14/11/02 at 13:56
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Well here's my view, everyone says I'm wrong so join the club.

I personally think the firemen are underpaid. However, I think that instant increase to 30 grand is a bit too much, I'd say 25-26 grand is suitable enough. As many firemen also have other jobs, apparently.

Emmm well I agree with strikes and unions in general but when it comes to this kind of work I feel they shouldn't, or at least give a lot more notice. There's a difference from firemen and say cleaners going on strike.

Emmm the media coverage is annoying me, they keep talking too much about anti-strike and such. And how not to set fire to your house.

I'll tell you something though, the people who phone hoax calls should be set alight.
Thu 14/11/02 at 13:09
"Darkness, always"
what do you mean use money form football?

if you mean they should tax football, i think it gets taxed enough.

Windfall taxes, VAT on EVERYTHING, income tax (and on those wages, that's a lot of PAYE.) etc.

It all goes into the big fat pot that is the budget, which then has to pay out on ludicrous things like subsidising farmers for growing grass instead of useful things like food.
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:49
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> err, the government has a few more people on its payrole...

Yeh but can they not use some money from football?

£50k a week - noone is worth that amount let alone £100k

The gov have a few more people on payroll but a footballer probabaly gets the same amount as 3 people put together.
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:44
"You love us!"
This is quite possibly one of the most stupid and ill-advised threads I have ever had the misfortune to stumble across.

Yes, fire fighters should get a pay rise. No they shouldn’t get 40%. However, it’s a simple bargaining tactic, start much higher than you think you can get, then when you get beaten down in pay talks, you’ll still end up with more than your bottom line.

The simple fact is this; no one gives a flying crap about the fire brigade until *they* actually need it.

Tut tut Mr. Rainbird, I would have expected more from you than to post a thread such as this. This is as blatant a ‘say something controversial and stand back’ topic as I’ve ever seen. May I suggest that selecting a range of more targeted and refined keywords would have been a much more appropriate use of time. lol ;-)

Peace.
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:44
"Darkness, always"
AbsoluT Neó wrote:
> Thats one thing I dont understand - Football clubs can give £50k
> plus a week to a footballer, whilst the government cannot afford to
> give fiermen anything like that a year?! wtf

err, the government has a few more people on its payrole...
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
That's the world we live in. Spoilt boys who play a game they love get thousands a week and yet life savers get less in a year.
It's the same with this stupid Paul Burrell bloke, The Mirror give some cretin £300,000 or something like that so they can fill their trashy paper for weeks when that money could save the lives of very poor or sick people.
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:41
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
> You don't get that much for working in an office (unless you're
> working in America)
>
> really depends what you do. Some admins get as little as £4 an
> hour, and risk repetitive strain, premature loss of eyesight,
> depression and anxiety, back problems and office bullying. These
> people deserve a payrise.

> On the other hand, there are skilled contractors who earn £1000
> a day, and spend half that day on the internet (not like me though, I
> don't earn that much...). But these people get what they get because
> their skills are rare.

Yes, very, very, very, very, very, very rare,
yet in the army, you get £15000 starting pay, and thats not exactly the safest job in the world...
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:40
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Thats one thing I dont understand - Football clubs can give £50k plus a week to a footballer, whilst the government cannot afford to give fiermen anything like that a year?! wtf
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:37
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I don't think they should get the raise cos loadsa other people will want it too. Like that footballer who died a lil while ago from heading too many footballs and it game him a brain tumor or something. This would make all the footballers say 'Ooooohh I want more money because I head footballs which could give me tumors, despite getting £40,000 a week anyway'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.