GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire Strike - Vote Here"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 22:41
Regular
Fact: It's not difficult to recruit Firemen. If they were given a big pay rise then that would be a cue for everybody else too. Taxes would rise dramatically and the economy would melt down. We would all be worse off.

I have two suggestions:

1. Train the armed forces to use up to date fire-fighting equipment and make it illegal for anybody to prevent the use of such equipment.

2. As Firemen have nothing to do except play darts for half their time, why not give them some more work. They could be the town watchers, pouring over cctv monitors to watch for traffic jams, fires and rowdy elements of society, and simply reporting events to the Police as necessary. That could be worth 5% on their pay. Of course they might have to be banned from doing second jobs during the day if they have to stay awake all night watching monitors.

These are exceptionally good and logical ideas. Maybe I should be a Governement adviser.

*_*
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Expletive Deleted wrote:
> The Police save more lives and put themselves in the face of direct
> combat with other people.
>
> Regardless of how much they get now, do they deserve a 40% pay rise
> also?
---

No, the basic pay rate for a PC in the Metropolitan area is £26k, significantly more than the Fire department.
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
How can people compare window cleaners and Firemen is beyond me.

Was it the window cleaners, cleaning the mess up, rescuing people, finding dead people, breathing in the fumes and some dying from these on september the 11th?

We have to ask ourselves, where would we be without the fire service?
"I hate that!!!"
maddmun wrote:
> Doughnut Monster wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> Doughnut Monster wrote:
> Look at it this way, people who sit around in offices get paid
> sometimes 100'2 of thousands for doing nothing but pushing paper
> around.
>
> When our Firemen go out every day risking their lives, and what do
> they get paid? well it's laughable.
> They deserve the 40% pay rise.
>
> I say STRIKE!
>
>
> My crystal ball says this person will get a massive reality shock at
> some time in the future.
>
> Meaning?
>
> You don't get that much for working in an office (unless you're
> working in America)

Or you work for Bill Gates
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:33
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> Has anyone thought that perhaps they don't actually expect to get 40%
> payrise.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, they only want - say, 15-20. But they know that if
> they ask for 20, they'd only get 10.

They already got 10, but sid they want 40, they should become binmen, they get well paid
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Actually I've just realised that most of the arguments in here are from people that can't decide what console "rules".
What on earth was I thinking?

*strolls off for a fag and another forum*
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:37
"Darkness, always"
maddmun wrote:
> working in America)

really depends what you do. Some admins get as little as £4 an hour, and risk repetitive strain, premature loss of eyesight, depression and anxiety, back problems and office bullying. These people deserve a payrise.

On the other hand, there are skilled contractors who earn £1000 a day, and spend half that day on the internet (not like me though, I don't earn that much...). But these people get what they get because their skills are rare. The same cannot be said of firemen...
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:37
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I don't think they should get the raise cos loadsa other people will want it too. Like that footballer who died a lil while ago from heading too many footballs and it game him a brain tumor or something. This would make all the footballers say 'Ooooohh I want more money because I head footballs which could give me tumors, despite getting £40,000 a week anyway'
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:40
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Thats one thing I dont understand - Football clubs can give £50k plus a week to a footballer, whilst the government cannot afford to give fiermen anything like that a year?! wtf
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:41
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
> working in America)
>
> really depends what you do. Some admins get as little as £4 an
> hour, and risk repetitive strain, premature loss of eyesight,
> depression and anxiety, back problems and office bullying. These
> people deserve a payrise.

> On the other hand, there are skilled contractors who earn £1000
> a day, and spend half that day on the internet (not like me though, I
> don't earn that much...). But these people get what they get because
> their skills are rare.

Yes, very, very, very, very, very, very rare,
yet in the army, you get £15000 starting pay, and thats not exactly the safest job in the world...
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
That's the world we live in. Spoilt boys who play a game they love get thousands a week and yet life savers get less in a year.
It's the same with this stupid Paul Burrell bloke, The Mirror give some cretin £300,000 or something like that so they can fill their trashy paper for weeks when that money could save the lives of very poor or sick people.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.