GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire Strike - Vote Here"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 22:41
Regular
Fact: It's not difficult to recruit Firemen. If they were given a big pay rise then that would be a cue for everybody else too. Taxes would rise dramatically and the economy would melt down. We would all be worse off.

I have two suggestions:

1. Train the armed forces to use up to date fire-fighting equipment and make it illegal for anybody to prevent the use of such equipment.

2. As Firemen have nothing to do except play darts for half their time, why not give them some more work. They could be the town watchers, pouring over cctv monitors to watch for traffic jams, fires and rowdy elements of society, and simply reporting events to the Police as necessary. That could be worth 5% on their pay. Of course they might have to be banned from doing second jobs during the day if they have to stay awake all night watching monitors.

These are exceptionally good and logical ideas. Maybe I should be a Governement adviser.

*_*
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:58
Regular
I say that we train small children to put out fires instead of putting them through school. They'll be natural masters by the age of 8!
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:49
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Another thing, if the Firefighters were to go on strike, who says other services like the Police, Ambulance service and NHS nurses etc. won't go on strike and ask for a pay rise. OK, I know the Police aren't permitted to go on strike (no-one is really if you think about it) but still, they could just start slackin off until they got a rise, and then the country would really be in the.... you know
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:30
Regular
"everyone says it"
Good for the firefighters.

Its a crap government.
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:12
Regular
"¬_¬"
Being a firefigher is a vocational job. Every day, they risk their lives to save people. Nobody would do this on a £20,000 salary without actually wanting to do the job. Therefore, the fact that they want a pay rise is just because they're greedy - they'd do the job with or without pay.

But I know compared to may jobs £20,000 per annum doesn't sound much, but my mum's a teacher and she gets less, my friend's dad is a vicar and he gets much less, yet they still do their jobs because they like them. If firefighters get a 40% increase, so should almost every other vocational job which is paid very little.
Thu 14/11/02 at 17:03
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I would say its pretty obvious that firemen do eserve a pay rise, though, equally 40% is a wholly unrealistic demand...

But then again, this was just the first figure thrown onto the table ,sa I read somewere on thie forum earier, the final amount woul have been whitled down do a realistic figure that both the goverment and the Firemen would have both found acceptable, probably nowhere near the inital figure.

The only real problem here are the left wing extreamists on who are pushing the argument, not becaue they believe in the firemens cause, but because of their own political motives. and equally, the mass media, ever the bastion of correctness, seems to have set the pay rise of 40% in stone, whist at the same time, drawing the generaly publics eye away from the real cause, and onto the bright and shiney freak show its created as alternative entertainment?
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
4% now, with 7% in six months if they do the modernistation the Bain report recommends - which equates to cutting night cover down in all but the major urban areas. That's not a great thing is it.

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:44
Regular
It's a hard desicion.

I think it's totally wrong. Their fire fighters, and we need them to fight fires, their job is to put out fires and save people lives. By refusing to work they are putting peoples lives at risk!

How will you feel if today someone you know is in a fire/car crash etc and dies, because of a lack of a proper team? It's almost as ridiculous as Doctors going on strike (not that they will with the money they earn).

But then again, how else can they do it? They put their own lives at risk everyday, and yet a roadie, yes, someone who carries band's gear around for them, earns £30,000 a year!
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:42
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Well, first, i heard on the news that most of the time their not on a job, their doing community stuff, schools and all.

Second, why shouldn't they get the pay. They'd be equal with the other emergency services. The only differance is, that they got their pay rise's over a period of time, now the fire want to be equal, just in a lump sum.

Third, i think they do earn it, i mean, just how many lives do they save a year. Any how much property is saved, plus, how many Firefighters get killed or injured a year for you and your stuff. Wouldn't you want a little more for risking your-self as they do.

In short, i think they should get at least a rise. Probably one not far off the 40% they want.
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:42
"...Unicef pennies.."
AbsoluT Neó wrote:
> Thats one thing I dont understand - Football clubs can give £50k
> plus a week to a footballer, whilst the government cannot afford to
> give fiermen anything like that a year?! wtf

Problem solved. Let's get the government to seek sponsorship for the fire fighters.

Dave and Jim race to the scene of a fire in their White and Red "Marlboro" enblazened truck (Not casting a thought to the irony of a Fire service being sponsored by cigarrettes). They arrive at the scene, wait for Adidas to arrive and let them choose their boots for this blaze, and then they tackle that fire.

Fire out, a few post emergency interviews for the press, and they head home.

Or maybe not.
Thu 14/11/02 at 16:35
"Darkness, always"
exactly what angers me. They won't take a proper scheme. Somethint that allows the government to find the money to fund the increase. It's like a bank charging you for bouncing a check.

"Oh, look, Mr Rippingale, you have no money. We're going to charge you £25 for having no money. We hope our service has been helpful.

Utter stupidity.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.