GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire Strike - Vote Here"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 22:41
Regular
Fact: It's not difficult to recruit Firemen. If they were given a big pay rise then that would be a cue for everybody else too. Taxes would rise dramatically and the economy would melt down. We would all be worse off.

I have two suggestions:

1. Train the armed forces to use up to date fire-fighting equipment and make it illegal for anybody to prevent the use of such equipment.

2. As Firemen have nothing to do except play darts for half their time, why not give them some more work. They could be the town watchers, pouring over cctv monitors to watch for traffic jams, fires and rowdy elements of society, and simply reporting events to the Police as necessary. That could be worth 5% on their pay. Of course they might have to be banned from doing second jobs during the day if they have to stay awake all night watching monitors.

These are exceptionally good and logical ideas. Maybe I should be a Governement adviser.

*_*
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Sorry IB, but your views are at best misguided, at worst simplistic and guided by simple 28-point bold helvetica statements that might apply if we were all good little Winstons.

Just my opinion though - I didnt realise you had such an awesome grasp of the entire world and all it's problems.
Seems a shame to waste your talents, you should move into politics.
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:00
"Darkness, always"
No, the military's main purpose is to protect the country. And they're doing it now, snce the firemen have decided they can't be bothered.
Thu 14/11/02 at 09:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> I say, sack all the filthy ransoming terrorists we call firemen, and
> get the military in to do the job at a PAY RISE, which would put them
> on what the firemen get now.
>
--

But the military's job is to kill people, rape squaddies, harass female soldiers and generally find themselves ill-equipped for civilian life upon leaving the services.
Thu 14/11/02 at 09:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So many Political Analysts, so little clue
Thu 14/11/02 at 09:51
"Darkness, always"
This strike reeks of protection racketeering.

Firemen: Give us loadsa money!!
Gov: Err, that's quite steep, you can have this though...
Firemen: You mock me with your feeble offerings, and now I shall watch you burn.
Thu 14/11/02 at 08:53
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Tony wrote:
> Fact: It's not difficult to recruit Firemen. If they were given a
> big pay rise then that would be a cue for everybody else too. Taxes
> would rise dramatically and the economy would melt down. We would all
> be worse off.

How about we cut the pay of the endless pile of politicians in London instead ? And whilst it could trigger pay rises for others in the emergency services I think that medical staff and the police also deserve wage increases as well. Taxes wouldn't rise, we'd just not have to spend so much money elsewhere - and seeing as Mr Brown is always telling us how the economy is doing so wonderfully this shouldn't be a problem. He keeps building these budget surplus's so its about time he used them.

> 1. Train the armed forces to use up to date fire-fighting equipment
> and make it illegal for anybody to prevent the use of such
> equipment.

Change the UK law which does not allow official union picket lines to be broken by government ? You're saying you'd make it possible for any strike to be broken up by the government and it's employees and agencies. If this was done then the Unions would massacre labour, civil rights groups would be up in arms, along with the entire public service sector and it would more that likely lead to a mass strike in all but the medical and police profession. As for training the army.....the army's job is to fight and defend, not put out fires. They are for use in an emergency in that role - like now - but not as a solution long term. The army is overstretched already and our forces can be put to better use than, as you see it, "sitting around for half the time".

> 2. As Firemen have nothing to do except play darts for half their
> time, why not give them some more work. They could be the town
> watchers, pouring over cctv monitors to watch for traffic jams, fires
> and rowdy elements of society, and simply reporting events to the
> Police as necessary. That could be worth 5% on their pay. Of course
> they might have to be banned from doing second jobs during the day if
> they have to stay awake all night watching monitors.

They spend their time at work on constant readiness, waiting for the call to come. I'm staggered to read such utter rubbish that you've put here, especially as you're SR staff as well.... it's easily the stupidest thing I've heard regarding this whole thing and, as Goatboy has noted, suggests your idea of the fire service is derived from mainly watching London's Burning.

> These are exceptionally good and logical ideas. Maybe I should be a
> Governement adviser.

Yep folks, vote for Tony here and watch the Government be overthrown in the first coup in centuries....'cause with ideas like this that'd be the result of him having any kind of authority in government.

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 14/11/02 at 08:47
"I hate that!!!"
11% that's chicken feed!

They were right to turn it down!
We should value our firefighters, especially after sept 11th, they saved hundreds even thousands of lives.
Thu 14/11/02 at 08:45
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Well they were offered 11% increase but they declined. They are not going to get better than that and they will lose public support very quickly. They should have accepted 11% as you can't just sudden;y get a 40% pay rise. 11% is GOOD fs. Stupid unions :p
Thu 14/11/02 at 08:43
"I hate that!!!"
Look at it this way, people who sit around in offices get paid sometimes 100'2 of thousands for doing nothing but pushing paper around.

When our Firemen go out every day risking their lives, and what do they get paid? well it's laughable.
They deserve the 40% pay rise.

I say STRIKE!
Thu 14/11/02 at 07:46
I'm neither for or against on this issue. Both sides seem to produce convincing arguments. However, I don't agree with a strike. It's putting lives in danger. Sure, the army are covering for them but the extra minutes it will take them could be too long. Strikes are pety. They're just a form of attention and even bullying. And because they're an emergency service, people are gonna listen to them even more. They're bound to get a pay-rise now. Like I said, I'm not in favour either way but striking is an inconsiderate and foolish idea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.