GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire Strike - Vote Here"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 22:41
Regular
Fact: It's not difficult to recruit Firemen. If they were given a big pay rise then that would be a cue for everybody else too. Taxes would rise dramatically and the economy would melt down. We would all be worse off.

I have two suggestions:

1. Train the armed forces to use up to date fire-fighting equipment and make it illegal for anybody to prevent the use of such equipment.

2. As Firemen have nothing to do except play darts for half their time, why not give them some more work. They could be the town watchers, pouring over cctv monitors to watch for traffic jams, fires and rowdy elements of society, and simply reporting events to the Police as necessary. That could be worth 5% on their pay. Of course they might have to be banned from doing second jobs during the day if they have to stay awake all night watching monitors.

These are exceptionally good and logical ideas. Maybe I should be a Governement adviser.

*_*
Thu 14/11/02 at 11:26
"Darkness, always"
Batman never sleeps.
Thu 14/11/02 at 11:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You don't get up from your monitor screen and risk your life by going up against fire or pulling people from crashes?
Unless your Batman, but he's loaded
Thu 14/11/02 at 11:08
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Belldandy wrote:
> You're saying you'd make it possible for any strike to be broken up by the government and it's employees

That's not what I said. I'm talking about the use of essential emergency equipment such as fire engines. Plainly it should be illegal to hijack them.

> They spend their time at work on constant readiness

So they don't go to sleep on their night shifts then? What's the difference between getting up from a monitor screen and putting down your pool cue?
Thu 14/11/02 at 11:03
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Doughnut Monster wrote:
> Look at it this way, people who sit around in offices get paid
> sometimes 100'2 of thousands for doing nothing but pushing paper
> around.
>
> When our Firemen go out every day risking their lives, and what do
> they get paid? well it's laughable.
> They deserve the 40% pay rise.
>
> I say STRIKE!

My crystal ball says this person will get a massive reality shock at some time in the future.
Thu 14/11/02 at 11:01
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
RM18 wrote:
> Yeah but Tony, they might spend half their time playing darts but they
> spend the other half saving lifes, and that alone is worth a pay rise.

People don't seem to understand the free market economy. Show me a company who pays their staff more than they need to (i.e. more than it takes to recruit decent staff). They would not be able to compete in their market and they would go bankrupt.

Wait until you can't afford your rent because of the extra tax you would be paying!
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:53
Regular
For (firemen)
The work 3-14 hour shifts a week, equivelent to 42 hours a week.
They risk their lives to save other people.
They get paid crappy amounts

Against
Most of the time they aren't even working, only about 20% normally.
Most of their jobs don't actually involve fire, mainly road accidents
The salaries displayed show the amount paid to some of the newer workers, the experienced firemen get in the region of £50,000 - £70,000 a year. Normally.

From these results I am against the firemen
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:34
"Darkness, always"
No, the list of affordable things I want for christmas is thin, and so I've dumped epII and LOTR SE on it.

That way, I get them free.
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Agreed.
Sorry if it got a tad "You smell and you dress funny", it's early and I need some nicotine.

You bought Episode 2 yet?
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:21
"Darkness, always"
Anyway, it's clear that you and I will never agree on this. You have some personal reason for sticking up for the firefighters, I don't.

end.
Thu 14/11/02 at 10:14
"Darkness, always"
I'm not misguided at all. At the end of the day, I know how this crap with the firefighters is going to effect me.

In my pocket. I don't mind paying more for a service as the service improves, but suddenly paying 40% more for the same service is daylight robbery, it's almost comparable to a Sky subscription.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.