GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Getaway goes gold!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Tue 19/11/02 at 15:00
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2234

Gentlemen, start your drooling!
Sat 30/11/02 at 18:06
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
It's looking good indeed.
The best bit for me is taking a hostage as a human shield and watching the bad guys plug him full of lead.
Also great when you have a hostage is putting your gun away and snapping the dudes neck (lovely crunch) or using the pistol to open his temple and let the claret flow - very satisfying. Having a hostage is cool cos you can still aim and shoot the other guys while dragging the poor soul around.
For anyone familiar with that part of London, its pretty damn accurate on the layout front(some shops are in odd places but mustn't grumble - notably turnkey is just off endell street where it should be on charing cross road for all you cartologists!)
V thrilling to bomb it over charing cross bridge to see festival hall on your right and seeing Imax cinema looming in the distance.
Dialogue is great if a little over egged but isn't it refreshing to have a real english feel to a game plus one that is more plausibly adult?
Quick note that you can use the forklift to knock the geezer of the stairs - some loss of health.
I love the use of indicators and the absence of maps, icons, health packs and suchlike.
Try going to the edges of the playable zone and shooting out the windscreens of passing cars - just watch those muppets run.
Full speed crashes are the most visceral I've seen in a game - a real crunch.
On the downside the camera is a bit dodgy especially in tight situations where some goon pistol whips you before you can get your bearings....
Apparently the camera issue hasn't been ironed out fully so might be annoying. Plus there are some AI issues in later levels that make some stealth missions a tad frustrating.
Hope people don't start posting should I get The getaway or Vice City threads - get them both!
Sat 30/11/02 at 15:28
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Flying Pig wrote:
> aim the gun and fire seems to slow (no auto-aim?)

Try pressing R1. You'll then lock onto the nearest enemy, so you can shoot them without having to manually aim.
Sat 30/11/02 at 14:52
Regular
"360: swfcman"
captainstringer wrote:
> is the getaway worth getting on demo or should i just buy it

Erm, both?

Get the demo and see if you like it, if you then like it then buy the full game. If you dont like the demo, then dont buy the game. That way you know your opinion on the game and know whether to spend the money on it or not.

Simple.
Sat 30/11/02 at 14:45
Regular
is the getaway worth getting on demo or should i just buy it
Sat 30/11/02 at 14:21
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Sorry about the spelling!!!
Sat 30/11/02 at 14:20
Regular
"Complete Banker"
OK, reading you all rave about this game, I thought I'd let you know my first impressions -although I only played it for a short time last night, and haven't replayed it. Yet.

First off - I thought the intro was excellent - much like I expected; adult language and a good bit on humour!

The driving section was pretty good, although the car seemed a little oversensitive. Tons of traffic, although not much else and the indicator thing was a but confusing and annoying as it seemed to tell me where to go after I'd passed the turn!!

Probably take a but of getting used to....

Once out of the car, some parts were excellent and some very poor. The way you have to pop out, aim the gun and fire seems to slow (no auto-aim?) and means that I got shot up a bit. Moving around was a but of a problem, espectally when you have someone come up behind you. You know he's there and you try to turn, but end up running in circles.

The camera doesn't help here either, so you're facing the bloke shooting you, but also the camera too. VERY annoying!!

Of particular note were the explosions; they look amazing, should fantastic and the pad jolts big time!!!

This may seem really negative, but don't get me wrong, I think this is a good game. But knowing that this is an earlier build makes me hope that the camera problems and difficult aiming have been sorted for the final game.

With the amount of time (and money) that's been spent on this game, I just expected some of the fundamental aspects of this title to be as near to perfect as possible.

I'll have another go later - see if I'm wrong....
Sat 30/11/02 at 12:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
My brother was playing the demo last night, and he managed to take someone hostage on the action section. He just walked up behind him and pressed X, and then he could walk around holding the guy at gunpoint. My brother managed to use the guy as a bullet shield, which he assures was pretty fun. I must try it myself.

I've also noticed a lack of some vehicles, but then I suppose it is just demo, Still I would have loved to have stolen a double Decker bus and tear down the streets of London. It'd probably handle like a brick though just like the taxi's.
Sat 30/11/02 at 11:07
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Also, if you don't press a button during the intro sequence to access
> the menus, it goes straight back to the disc menu! Bloody annoying -
> thought I had a dogy disc at first!

Same thing happened to me the first time! Also, I didn't realise that the section "mission" was in fact the bit after you've chased the red car to teh hideout, I thought they meant a second mission rather than a second part to the first mission.

I found the machine gun as well - it's dropped by the man you blow off the balcony, right? But how come you can't change your weapon? I wanted to conserve my machine gun (even though there isn't that much need), but I don't think it's possible.

Also, has anyone been in the forklift? It's pretty useless as you can't leave the area that your in, but fun anyway.

Another thing I found is that while you're doing the driving section at the start there are hardly any good cars (I went on this part for hours last night doing stupid stuff and saw only two Lexii, but there seem to be millions of Alfa Romeos), but during the hideout bit if you go back to the roads you came in on there's loads of Lexii! Only three colours to choose from - green, white, cream - but they have a really meaty feel and you can do more powerful and cooler looking handbrake turns in them. And the amount of them that go past is completely out of proportion with real life. And I still haven't seen any Mercedes'.

Also you can provoke the men to come out of the little wooden door, then get in their own car and run them over. But if you allow them to shoot you a lot or you damamged it a lot beforehand it can catch fire and you'll die. It's even fun just to exact revenge on the kidnappers by shooting the tyres on their shiny red car and putting the windows through.
Fri 29/11/02 at 23:24
"High polygon count"
The sounds are fantastic when you're in the cars - the tyre screech is totally authentic. GTA's is good, but sounds somehow 'fake' - this is a real meaty 'screeeeeeeeeech'!
Fri 29/11/02 at 23:09
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I like the action sections of the game; I think they’re really fun as apposed to games like GTA and Mafia, which was really unforgiving. I got the shotgun before, and came too close to someone to use it, so when I fired, instead of shooting him I whacked him across the head with the butt of the gun.

The driving sections are the best though, seeing all those familiar cars makes a nice change from some anonymous American hulk which I've only ever seen in movies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.