GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Getaway goes gold!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Tue 19/11/02 at 15:00
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2234

Gentlemen, start your drooling!
Sun 01/12/02 at 00:08
"High polygon count"
Blank wrote:
> Same thing happened to me the first time! Also, I didn't realise that
> the section "mission" was in fact the bit after you've
> chased the red car to teh hideout, I thought they meant a second
> mission rather than a second part to the first mission.

Same here - I'm hoping that it's just the mag calling it "two missions". There are supposedly 24 missions in the game - 12 as the ex-con, 12 as the cop. If that demo is genuinely two missions, it could be a very short game. But then, if it was, I'd expect the mag to say so. Anyway, it still seems like it will be an excellent game.

> I found the machine gun as well - it's dropped by the man you blow off
> the balcony, right?

Yup! :-)

> But how come you can't change your weapon?

I noticed that. I got a shotgun, and accidentally pressed the wrong button - he dropped the shotgun and drew the pistols, and wouldn't pick up the shotgun again - it disappeared shortly afterwards. Which I thought sucked a bit, but then it could just be the demo.
Sat 30/11/02 at 23:57
"High polygon count"
Cool! Just seen a TV ad for the game on ITV1! :-)
Sat 30/11/02 at 23:53
"High polygon count"
Has anyone else noticed the glaring continuity error in the intro section?

When the wife and kid are walking down the street after leaving the house, the kid is on the woman's right (near the road) as she's talking to him about being 'captain of the squad'. As the goons approach, the kid is suddenly on her left, between her and the wall! :-)
Sat 30/11/02 at 20:33
Im really looking foward to this game, especially after enjoying Vice City so much.

I know the two games are very different, but of course they are similar too, hence its really got me in the mood to play the game. Counting the days down to the release.

Id like to have a go on the demo but sadly our newsagents here stock very little PS2 mags, and the OPSM2 mag is one that they dont have. So i have had to rely on what you people have said here. After reading, i have come to the conclusion that its going to be a very good game with some really good aspects to it. I have read some bad things about it here, but it was a demo, so maybe these little niggles will be fixed before the game actually went 'gold' as such. If not im sure its not going to be too much of a problem.

I hope the next few days go fastly. :-)
Sat 30/11/02 at 20:14
Regular
Vottanator wrote:
> I wasn't THAT impressed by the demo. I thought that when you were in a
> car it felt a bit too much like you were rotating the road rather than
> turnoing your car. And the control when your on foot is terrible.
> Especially when you've got a hostage. I once took a bad guy hostage
> and attempted moving past other bad guys and backing through a door.
> Unfortunately, I ended up turning round so that my back was to the
> shotgun man. I'm sure you can work out what happened from there.

I felt that way about the steering aswell, how do you take someone hostage? Hopefull it will be as good as it looks. The camera angles are very awkward at times, especially when your leaving small room, he kind of walks into it.

> And also, if it's the most cinematic game on PS2, then I didn't ever
> realise quite how un-cinematic gaming was. When you're holding your
> wife at the start and that ONE singular woman comes round the corner.
> No cars, no people, no nothing. Two minutes later, you're chasing the
> gangster dudes through PACKED streets. People and cars everywhere. And
> the way they made him just pick up the gun that shot his wife and then
> drop it again instantly was terrible. They could have been a bit more
> imaginative in having him framed. I doubt an ex-gangster guy would be
> that stupid.
Again, i agree, the cut-scene was less than half the standard i expected, it reminded me of Driver 2.
>
> But overall, it isn't bad but I'm extremely happy that the review says
> something about it definitely not representing the quality of the
> finished game.

I'm still gonna buy it however, i think Vice City is better. (slightly)
>
> Still, even though I don't think it's that great, I'm not that
> disappointed. After the last video I saw, I wasn't expecting much at
> all and I certainly wasn't expecting a GTA beater.
Sat 30/11/02 at 19:22
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Vottanator wrote:
> And also, if it's the most cinematic game on PS2, then I didn't ever
> realise quite how un-cinematic gaming was. When you're holding your
> wife at the start and that ONE singular woman comes round the corner.
> No cars, no people, no nothing. Two minutes later, you're chasing the
> gangster dudes through PACKED streets. People and cars everywhere. And
> the way they made him just pick up the gun that shot his wife and then
> drop it again instantly was terrible. They could have been a bit more
> imaginative in having him framed. I doubt an ex-gangster guy would be
> that stupid.

I never noticed that - I think that's the point. Few people will notice it and then later on it'll replay the cut scene when the mob boss is explaining it to him or something. But still, the gangsters couldn't have counted on him touching it....a possible plot flaw there.
Sat 30/11/02 at 19:14
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I wasn't THAT impressed by the demo. I thought that when you were in a car it felt a bit too much like you were rotating the road rather than turnoing your car. And the control when your on foot is terrible. Especially when you've got a hostage. I once took a bad guy hostage and attempted moving past other bad guys and backing through a door. Unfortunately, I ended up turning round so that my back was to the shotgun man. I'm sure you can work out what happened from there.

And also, if it's the most cinematic game on PS2, then I didn't ever realise quite how un-cinematic gaming was. When you're holding your wife at the start and that ONE singular woman comes round the corner. No cars, no people, no nothing. Two minutes later, you're chasing the gangster dudes through PACKED streets. People and cars everywhere. And the way they made him just pick up the gun that shot his wife and then drop it again instantly was terrible. They could have been a bit more imaginative in having him framed. I doubt an ex-gangster guy would be that stupid.

But overall, it isn't bad but I'm extremely happy that the review says something about it definitely not representing the quality of the finished game.

Still, even though I don't think it's that great, I'm not that disappointed. After the last video I saw, I wasn't expecting much at all and I certainly wasn't expecting a GTA beater.
Sat 30/11/02 at 19:03
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> You can apparently shoot 'blind' from behind objects by pressing the
> square button while in stealth mode - according to the review,
> anyway... I haven't tried it yet.

Well I tried it, and it works and it doesn't. It works when you are behind a small object that requires crouching, but it doesn't work from behind a wall. Which is strange because you need it more behind a wall - more of your body is exposed when you pop out as opposed to when you're crouching.
Sat 30/11/02 at 19:01
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Nå†ßu© wrote:
> As far as cars go it didn't seem fantastic but it's only a demo. I
> couldn't find a single Lexi but I saw plenty of those Bedford vans and
> SAAB Aero's.

The Lexi are hard to find during the chase section, but when you get to the warehouse just get out of your car and go onto one of the roads (easiest is the one turning right from the warehouse - it has a wider area that you can go in). There are absolutely loads of the blighters going past. They handle nicely as well. My sister got in one and said "I'm going to drive this like a Bentley", which was quite funny. Although if the authorities ask, I made that up because she isn't 18 yet. Naughty naughty boy. Aaaaaanyway, I didn't see any Saabs, so you're one up on me there, and I'm reluctant to go on it again because when I get the real game nothing will be new to me if I play the demo to death.

> All that I thought was missing was bikes and fisty cuffs. Oh well.

You can hit people over the head with your gun, but unfortunately so can they. And they ussually get there quicker.
Sat 30/11/02 at 18:26
Regular
"  "
Been playing the demo today. Very good indeed. Great graphics. The explosions and fire/smoke effects are amazing. I also like the glass shattering effects.

I don't know much of London, but it did seem quite London like. It must be weird for the Restaurant owner in front of the warehouse to see their business being the backdrop for a gun fight!

The sound is good. Engines sound throaty and the tire screech is excellent. The car crumples seem quite good too.

As far as cars go it didn't seem fantastic but it's only a demo. I couldn't find a single Lexi but I saw plenty of those Bedford vans and SAAB Aero's. There were alot of cars on the street though, much more packed than Vice City and no pop up or slow down seemed a great achievement.

Overall I thought the game was great. A different perspective on the GTA clone which in my mind is a good thing. The full game should rock, especially the free roam mode. All that I thought was missing was bikes and fisty cuffs. Oh well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.