GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Steam Sale: Your picks"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/13 at 09:01
"possibly impossible"
It's that time of year when thrifty PC owners rub their hands with joy, the Steam Sale has begun!

This thread is here to share your daily top picks to help others trawl through the thousands of games on offer.

Yesterday's deals are still going, so I'll start there:

Call of Juarez Gunslinger (£8.03) - All of the previous games in the series are on offer, too, but they're mostly crap. Gunslinger is different. It's a great self contained story with some real cowboy action and an interesting plot.

Hotline Miami (£1.74) - weird, wonderful and more than a little messed up in the head. Own it now!

Defiance (£6.89) - at full price this was a little hit or miss. I enjoyed it, but the main missions are a bit repetitive. However, the MMO aspects mixed with loads of players online taking down huge enemies is well worth the asking price at the current rate.

Today's deals:
Just Cause 2 (£1.99) - if you haven't played this 3 year old game yet then grab it now. The open map idea was still fairly new back then but this game pulled off mountains, skydiving, zip lines on to planes and loads more OTT stuff.
Sun 14/07/13 at 13:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I do have to agree with you chas. My gripe isn't with Steam and yes, I know that it works well. The moan is why do Valve allow these secondary hangers-on. Origin is a pain and so is Uplay ... they just aren't necessary!

Just managed to get Far Cry 3 running and I don't have any mouse response within the main menu scene!!! Oh, the joy of it ;¬)
Sun 14/07/13 at 09:20
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
Have now downloaded FC3 again!

Steam account now states that I've played the game for 33 minutes today! Not a chance!

Have had to contact Uplay to reset a non-existant password!

And this why I paid £15 and this is progress!

Either give me a physical copy of the game or else cut the horse manure with Steam!

It did work Valve...what have you done ... why additional accounts?

Uplay is Ubisoft's Steam equivalent, it allows you to register your games, store virtual content, access your games without a disc and all the things that Steam does. And it works quite well.

Personally, I think Steam works well, don't really have any issues with it, however when games like Farcry 3 are set up by the manufacturer to rely on a secondary account, this is what causes the problems.

It's the same fiddly farce when you buy a GFWL game from Steam (like Arkham City) or an EA game that relies on Origin. Bottom line is, don't moan about Steam, complain about these other companies that are too reliant on their own systems rather than accepting that Steam works.

But then I guess it's a profit thing...

Good news is Farcry 3 is awesome:-)
Sat 13/07/13 at 23:54
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Have now downloaded FC3 again!

Steam account now states that I've played the game for 33 minutes today! Not a chance!

Have had to contact Uplay to reset a non-existant password!

And this why I paid £15 and this is progress!

Either give me a physical copy of the game or else cut the horse manure with Steam!

It did work Valve...what have you done ... why additional accounts?
Sat 13/07/13 at 22:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Now I know why I don't like downloadable games!

Downloaded FC3 from Steam and then try to play it ... what is Uplay? Why do I have to register? When I register ... why does Uplay do nothing?

Now I have to re-download the game!

Note to self....don't dabble with Steam ever again
Sat 13/07/13 at 21:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
You all have 'unlimited cash vouchers' but mine to spend are extremely limited or even rare items and I have to choose carefully. Even within a sale, I can't be frivolous or flippant!

But at the end of the day...I want something I can play and be happy with ... it's the 'comfort blanket' ;¬)
Sat 13/07/13 at 18:59
"possibly impossible"
£6.79 for Borderlands 2 and £6.79 for the season pass. So now £13.58 for the lot.

Also, Tomb Raider for £7.49.

And £11.24 for Tomb Raider collection, which includes this and all the other games.
Sat 13/07/13 at 14:20
Regular
Picked up Surgeon Simulator and The Walking Dead. About seven for both. not bad at all
Sat 13/07/13 at 13:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Picked up Far Cry 3 for £14.99 ... just waiting for the download to complete.
Sat 13/07/13 at 09:01
"possibly impossible"
It's that time of year when thrifty PC owners rub their hands with joy, the Steam Sale has begun!

This thread is here to share your daily top picks to help others trawl through the thousands of games on offer.

Yesterday's deals are still going, so I'll start there:

Call of Juarez Gunslinger (£8.03) - All of the previous games in the series are on offer, too, but they're mostly crap. Gunslinger is different. It's a great self contained story with some real cowboy action and an interesting plot.

Hotline Miami (£1.74) - weird, wonderful and more than a little messed up in the head. Own it now!

Defiance (£6.89) - at full price this was a little hit or miss. I enjoyed it, but the main missions are a bit repetitive. However, the MMO aspects mixed with loads of players online taking down huge enemies is well worth the asking price at the current rate.

Today's deals:
Just Cause 2 (£1.99) - if you haven't played this 3 year old game yet then grab it now. The open map idea was still fairly new back then but this game pulled off mountains, skydiving, zip lines on to planes and loads more OTT stuff.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.