GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Who Will Win?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/13 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
With today's announcement of the XBox One we now know all of the contenders in the next generation of the console wars!!!1 In the red corner we have the latest iteration of Sony's gaming powerhouse, the Playstation 4. Nothing original with the name, but why change a winning formula?

In the blue corner (or should that be green) we have the XBox One. Will people think that it is 360 times more inferior that the XBox 360? Will they compare it to the PSOne? Is their naming convention too confusing for anyone to truly follow?

And in the brown corner is the Wii U. At least they're sticking to what they know. Stick with the Wii name, because that works. And why not stick with the same policy of not backing it at launch with enough games either, amIright? Then, when the games do come, they're the same games we already played. When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era. No doubt when the games do come along they will be good, but the way Nintendo are likely to drip-feed them through there won't be enough to keep people interested. The tablet is neat, but so far no one is doing anything interesting with it.

I think the Wii U could put Nintendo in some serious trouble, but they'll always make money from their games - but could we one day see a day when Nintendo release games on another platform?

So it will be left to the big boys to duke it out. Punches will be thrown. Blows will be landed. At the end of the day many of the big games will be multi-platform, but there will be some exclusives. If you can't call it from the exclusives and you're looking at what else it can do, well frankly I'd go for the Sony kit. It looks better. It won't make you pay for Kinect you might not even want, and, at the end of the day, it looks better.

So! Who will you back in the next generation!?
Tue 11/06/13 at 12:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Loved that clip Machie! :)

Are you guys sure that Gerald Ratner isn't the new head of PR at Microsoft?
Tue 11/06/13 at 11:17
"possibly impossible"
I've pre-ordered PS4, I'm not getting Xbox One unless I win the lottery or the price goes right down.

I didn't get PS3 or 360 until at least 6 months after launch. I bought the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U on day one.
Tue 11/06/13 at 11:01
Regular
As someone who trades in games, resells games and lend them to friends. I imagine you're a bit disappointed with the Xbox One pb.

Sony are having a good laugh about it.

So has everyone decided which one they're pre-ordering? I think I will go with the PS4. All this talk of prism and 1984 (which I'm betting Nin has a lot to say on the subject) I'll give the Xbox One a miss for now.
Tue 11/06/13 at 10:02
"possibly impossible"
Online Play is free on PS3 and Vita. Playstation Plus is an (amazing) add on that you pay £40 a year for and get loads of top games in return, bigger cloud saves, automatic downloading (updates etc) and more.

eg: this month you get Uncharted 3, Ico and SOTC HD, LBP Karting, Demons Souls, Velocity Ultra, Xcom: Enemy Unknown and more. Next month three of the games for PS3 and three for Vita change change and this continues each month. This will work alongside a PS4 which will also have 'free' games, starting with Driveclub, as well as giving you online play on PS4.
Tue 11/06/13 at 09:35
Regular
"I like turtles"
I honestly don't mind paying a subscription for online play, prefer to pay a bit and have something that works TBH. I was under the impression that online play was free on the Playstation or was that a while back?
Tue 11/06/13 at 08:37
"possibly impossible"
Online play will be through the Playstation Plus subscription (they have to pay for the far improved servers somehow).

But then you'd be a fool to own a PS3 or PS4 and not have Playstation Plus these days. The Instant Game Collection will continue with PS4 giving you Drive Club, a brand new PS4 game, as the first title in the subscription on that console and will continue for PS3 and Vita for the same price.

You also get to stream PS4 games to Vita and PS3 games through Gaikai to Vita and PS4.

Looks like I'm forgoing the purchase of an Xbox One until the price goes down and just getting PS4 at launch to compliment my Wii U and PC.
Tue 11/06/13 at 08:17
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nin wrote:
The PS4 then? It's square, it's black, it's shiny, it looks like the PS2. I'm not a fan.

Hahaha

"We believe in the current gaming model and won't be blocking sales. The PS4 also won't require logging in"

* Massive cheer goes up from the audience *

£350 launch price

Sony just destroyed Microsoft

How have the mighty Microsoft apparently got it so very wrong? The PS4 looks like it's just a more powerful version of what's already available, which I suspect is all that most customers want. No forced use of motion controller, no restriction on used games (so I assume rentals will still be allowed?) and no forced daily internet connection. Don't know if online play will still be free on it? The £80 price difference is neither here nor there IMO but the combination of factors mentioned above are surely going to tempt many long standing Xbox users to jump ship.
Tue 11/06/13 at 03:15
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The PS4 then? It's square, it's black, it's shiny, it looks like the PS2. I'm not a fan.

Hahaha

"We believe in the current gaming model and won't be blocking sales. The PS4 also won't require logging in"

* Massive cheer goes up from the audience *

£350 launch price

Sony just destroyed Microsoft
Mon 10/06/13 at 19:36
Regular
"Monochromatic"
XBox One to launch at £430. Your move, Sony
Mon 10/06/13 at 08:51
Regular
"I like turtles"
I remember you saying the PC version of Medal Of Honor was very good DL, can't comment on other versions but the 360 version was the pits. It was the multiplayer that was particularly bad, bordering on unplayable IMO. Perhaps some of the issues I mentioned were addressed with post release updates? (I played the game day of release).

Allowing people to rent games, buy used, try demos is giving them the opportunity to consider a title that they may not normally have gone for. I bought some of the most fun games made for the current gen machines (Left 4 Dead, Blur & Bulletstorm) but only after trying them out first, would I have bought any of them blind for £40?....not a chance I'm afraid.

What about DLC?, surely developers need as many people as possible to play their product if they are to have any chance of selling them that? I have bought DLC for many games I have picked up second hand as well as titles that I definitely would not have bought had I not tried them first.

I'm not screaming that Microsoft's new trading platform is unjust or unfair but I do believe that are about to make a fatal mistake and that is to alienate a considerable percentage of their market (by creating a machine that seems to focus on crap most current Xbox users couldn't care less about and introducing a trading platform which I suspect is going to make many current users look elsewhere in the future), please remember these current Xbox users are the very same Xbox users who have made that platform so successful, if a significant percentage of those are currently not planning to buy the new machine then who is?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.