GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Who Will Win?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/13 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
With today's announcement of the XBox One we now know all of the contenders in the next generation of the console wars!!!1 In the red corner we have the latest iteration of Sony's gaming powerhouse, the Playstation 4. Nothing original with the name, but why change a winning formula?

In the blue corner (or should that be green) we have the XBox One. Will people think that it is 360 times more inferior that the XBox 360? Will they compare it to the PSOne? Is their naming convention too confusing for anyone to truly follow?

And in the brown corner is the Wii U. At least they're sticking to what they know. Stick with the Wii name, because that works. And why not stick with the same policy of not backing it at launch with enough games either, amIright? Then, when the games do come, they're the same games we already played. When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era. No doubt when the games do come along they will be good, but the way Nintendo are likely to drip-feed them through there won't be enough to keep people interested. The tablet is neat, but so far no one is doing anything interesting with it.

I think the Wii U could put Nintendo in some serious trouble, but they'll always make money from their games - but could we one day see a day when Nintendo release games on another platform?

So it will be left to the big boys to duke it out. Punches will be thrown. Blows will be landed. At the end of the day many of the big games will be multi-platform, but there will be some exclusives. If you can't call it from the exclusives and you're looking at what else it can do, well frankly I'd go for the Sony kit. It looks better. It won't make you pay for Kinect you might not even want, and, at the end of the day, it looks better.

So! Who will you back in the next generation!?
Wed 22/05/13 at 08:58
Regular
"not dead"
It's been so long since I saw a 'Console Wars' thread on a forum, and what with the PS4 and XBox1 being announced I thought it was a good opportunity to go retro with some ill considered opinions on the consoles.

I didn't quite understand why they had to announce before E3 though - I assume that will let them focus more on the actual games at the event?

As for Nintendo, I own a Wii U, and it's fun, but nothing has really grabbed me so far. I expected more from Nintendo, and so far, for me, they haven't delivered. Again, any games that are announced at E3 could change this - and you're right, the next iteration of Mario Kart, and Smash Bros is no different from EA constantly re-hashing the same franchise year after year - and at least Nintendo only do it once in a generation - but it used to be that they did it as well as innovating with new IPs - and that's what I'm not seeing at the moment.

And pb, where have I been? About. Chucked in my job of 12 years at BT a couple of months back, so plenty of free time at the moment. Start teacher training in September. How are things with you?
Tue 21/05/13 at 23:04
"possibly impossible"
Nintendo go their own way, they have enough in the bank and decent sales of the 3DS not to worry. They play their own game. And if they're releasing the 'same games' what does that say about the annual COD, FIFA etc? People want updated games with new features as much as new IPs. I don't think Nintendo are going anywhere soon in terms of hardware.

Xbox One's reveal today was about entertainment but lacked much in the way of games. Was there even a non-pre rendered game footage in the whole of that conference? But don't judge a console by its launch, E3 may be where they show off their games. As it stands they spent too long focusing on the TV service that isn't even going to be available outside the US at launch and requires a seperate piece of hardware. Still, it has a new Forza at launch, which I'm excited about.

PS4 had a strong reveal but then they had the element of surprise and they focused on games. Again, it will come down to both E3 and how good the launch line ups will be.

So, too early to tell just from a first look.

And...Meka? Where have you been hiding then?
Tue 21/05/13 at 22:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
As strange as it may seem, I really enjoyed reading this 'matter of fact review'. It seemed off the cuff and light-hearted and I will agree, XBox One is a .... well, it's a family show :¬)

Nice one
Tue 21/05/13 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
With today's announcement of the XBox One we now know all of the contenders in the next generation of the console wars!!!1 In the red corner we have the latest iteration of Sony's gaming powerhouse, the Playstation 4. Nothing original with the name, but why change a winning formula?

In the blue corner (or should that be green) we have the XBox One. Will people think that it is 360 times more inferior that the XBox 360? Will they compare it to the PSOne? Is their naming convention too confusing for anyone to truly follow?

And in the brown corner is the Wii U. At least they're sticking to what they know. Stick with the Wii name, because that works. And why not stick with the same policy of not backing it at launch with enough games either, amIright? Then, when the games do come, they're the same games we already played. When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era. No doubt when the games do come along they will be good, but the way Nintendo are likely to drip-feed them through there won't be enough to keep people interested. The tablet is neat, but so far no one is doing anything interesting with it.

I think the Wii U could put Nintendo in some serious trouble, but they'll always make money from their games - but could we one day see a day when Nintendo release games on another platform?

So it will be left to the big boys to duke it out. Punches will be thrown. Blows will be landed. At the end of the day many of the big games will be multi-platform, but there will be some exclusives. If you can't call it from the exclusives and you're looking at what else it can do, well frankly I'd go for the Sony kit. It looks better. It won't make you pay for Kinect you might not even want, and, at the end of the day, it looks better.

So! Who will you back in the next generation!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.