GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Who Will Win?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/13 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
With today's announcement of the XBox One we now know all of the contenders in the next generation of the console wars!!!1 In the red corner we have the latest iteration of Sony's gaming powerhouse, the Playstation 4. Nothing original with the name, but why change a winning formula?

In the blue corner (or should that be green) we have the XBox One. Will people think that it is 360 times more inferior that the XBox 360? Will they compare it to the PSOne? Is their naming convention too confusing for anyone to truly follow?

And in the brown corner is the Wii U. At least they're sticking to what they know. Stick with the Wii name, because that works. And why not stick with the same policy of not backing it at launch with enough games either, amIright? Then, when the games do come, they're the same games we already played. When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era. No doubt when the games do come along they will be good, but the way Nintendo are likely to drip-feed them through there won't be enough to keep people interested. The tablet is neat, but so far no one is doing anything interesting with it.

I think the Wii U could put Nintendo in some serious trouble, but they'll always make money from their games - but could we one day see a day when Nintendo release games on another platform?

So it will be left to the big boys to duke it out. Punches will be thrown. Blows will be landed. At the end of the day many of the big games will be multi-platform, but there will be some exclusives. If you can't call it from the exclusives and you're looking at what else it can do, well frankly I'd go for the Sony kit. It looks better. It won't make you pay for Kinect you might not even want, and, at the end of the day, it looks better.

So! Who will you back in the next generation!?
Fri 14/06/13 at 07:30
Regular
PCs are definitely great for gaming, but this iMac (or most PCs) would be terrible as a DVR, Blu-ray player, Netflix streaming device for my 50inch Sharp tv in the living room.

I think if I didn't have PS Plus, I would feel the PS3 was a bit of a waste of money for me. £40 for a ton of "free" games, so many in fact I had to buy a separate 2 TB HDD just to keep them all.

I got DOA5 awhile ago on PS Plus. If I bought it on Amazon today it would cost me £34.
Thu 13/06/13 at 22:55
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
Just read this snippet from a recent email:

"E3 2013 is winding down, the dust is clearing, and we can see one colossus rising high above the ruins. It's the PC. As the consoles snapped and clawed at each other, we PC gamers got to sit back and take it all in. We've been 'next-generation' for most of this generation, we're not beholden to draconian DRM schemes, and we'll be getting all the best games coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One anyway. Our future has the best of every world ... "

Says it all really ;¬)

Seen on a PC based site, no doubt?

I noticed Xbox based sites were promoting the positive aspects of E3 for the Xbox too,

Every fanboy has blinkers when it comes to their format, especially when phrases like 'best of' are wheeled out. The point is there is no right answer, every format has its pros and cons and there will always be fans of each one. If there wasn't a need for gaming PCs, Xboxs or Playstations then they just wouldn't sell and the companies behind them would stop making them.

Unless you're Nintendo, then you carry on regardless and the fans, even in lower numbers, just keep lapping it up.
Thu 13/06/13 at 19:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just read this snippet from a recent email:

"E3 2013 is winding down, the dust is clearing, and we can see one colossus rising high above the ruins. It's the PC. As the consoles snapped and clawed at each other, we PC gamers got to sit back and take it all in. We've been 'next-generation' for most of this generation, we're not beholden to draconian DRM schemes, and we'll be getting all the best games coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One anyway. Our future has the best of every world ... "

Says it all really ;¬)
Thu 13/06/13 at 13:54
Regular
Well i'm sure it will be posted eventually so ill leave this Here

All this talk about anti consumer policies and no mention of The Witcher 3. I find it funny that they are anti DRM and decide to reveal their product at Microsoft's E3 conference. I'm getting it on the PC and I'm going to play it without Steam like I did with the second one. Not that I have any problems with Steam. I have a friend who can't play anything on Steam because his internet speed is worse than mine. Don't think he is interested in the game though.
Thu 13/06/13 at 13:02
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Alone no, in a majority...? If he is really ''raving'' about the forced use of Kinect, TV thing, no games rentals, restrictions on used games etc. then that is his choice. I'll be honest I'm finding it quite difficult to see why anybody would think that any of those are a positive thing.

Forced use? No. Fully integrated? Yes.

He likes the idea of Kinect, and sees no issue with it being fully part of the system.

Restrictions on used games? Please, I have already pointed out countless times how Pc gamers have never had that luxury, and how it really doesn't matter. You won't change my opinion on that one, ever. He sees it the same way.

Game rentals? He never has, probably never will.

Hence, no issues. don't really see that as particularly unusual.

...And he drives me nuts with bike talk! :-)
Thu 13/06/13 at 11:29
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
Looks like I couldn't get an Xbox One even if I wanted to. No release date yet. Maybe late 2014 like the rest of the world?

I'm not completely sure on this, pb or someone can correct me. You can only use the Xbox One in the 21 countries it's being released in. So if I buy one in the UK and try to play it here, it wouldn't work? Fortunately this isn't the case for the PS4 and anyone in the world can buy one and use it in their country.

Xbox One is region locked, but whether that means the online aspect is also locked to a region, I don't know. If it's like the 360 then it will only restrict you from buying stuff on the store from a different country. (It currently works if you use MS Points, but MS are getting rid of that system)
Thu 13/06/13 at 10:08
Regular
Looks like I couldn't get an Xbox One even if I wanted to. No release date yet. Maybe late 2014 like the rest of the world?

I'm not completely sure on this, pb or someone can correct me. You can only use the Xbox One in the 21 countries it's being released in. So if I buy one in the UK and try to play it here, it wouldn't work? Fortunately this isn't the case for the PS4 and anyone in the world can buy one and use it in their country.
Wed 12/06/13 at 15:49
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360," Mattrick said. "If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."

Haha did he really say that? Thats almost passive-aggressively saying "No internet? Screw you then"
Wed 12/06/13 at 15:25
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nin wrote:
Microsoft picked a bad time to talk about Kinnect watching you and reporting back for advertising purposes. Their whole PR campaign for this machine has been an unmitigated disaster.

If a large percentage of these machines are going in 15 year old lads bedrooms then what exactly are Microsoft hoping to learn other than 'Fit Birds From Hollyoaks' calendars are a big seller!
Wed 12/06/13 at 15:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Machie wrote:
Fortunately there is another offline device, called the PS4 (or PC *looks at DL and Dr Garin*). So all you people on a nuclear submarine can go pre-order that instead.

Now this wouldn't be a new episode of "Machie's Extreme Fishing"! Or would it :¬D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.