GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars: Who Will Win?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/05/13 at 21:35
Regular
"not dead"
With today's announcement of the XBox One we now know all of the contenders in the next generation of the console wars!!!1 In the red corner we have the latest iteration of Sony's gaming powerhouse, the Playstation 4. Nothing original with the name, but why change a winning formula?

In the blue corner (or should that be green) we have the XBox One. Will people think that it is 360 times more inferior that the XBox 360? Will they compare it to the PSOne? Is their naming convention too confusing for anyone to truly follow?

And in the brown corner is the Wii U. At least they're sticking to what they know. Stick with the Wii name, because that works. And why not stick with the same policy of not backing it at launch with enough games either, amIright? Then, when the games do come, they're the same games we already played. When did Nintendo release an original game? I'm thinking GameCube era. No doubt when the games do come along they will be good, but the way Nintendo are likely to drip-feed them through there won't be enough to keep people interested. The tablet is neat, but so far no one is doing anything interesting with it.

I think the Wii U could put Nintendo in some serious trouble, but they'll always make money from their games - but could we one day see a day when Nintendo release games on another platform?

So it will be left to the big boys to duke it out. Punches will be thrown. Blows will be landed. At the end of the day many of the big games will be multi-platform, but there will be some exclusives. If you can't call it from the exclusives and you're looking at what else it can do, well frankly I'd go for the Sony kit. It looks better. It won't make you pay for Kinect you might not even want, and, at the end of the day, it looks better.

So! Who will you back in the next generation!?
Wed 12/06/13 at 13:06
Regular
Couldn't agree more with you Nin. The worst possible time when so many people are concerned about their privacy online.

Here is the video for that quote pb. Fortunately there is another offline device, called the PS4 (or PC *looks at DL and Dr Garin*). So all you people on a nuclear submarine can go pre-order that instead.
Wed 12/06/13 at 09:57
"possibly impossible"
Xbox boss Don Mattrick explains the option for those with limited or no Internet:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360," Mattrick said. "If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."
Tue 11/06/13 at 21:35
Regular
"I like turtles"
chasfh wrote:
I can't remember how many times people have said "Ooh, Microsoft have got it all wrong" over the past twenty years. Funny how they keep on ticking...

So the mighty Microsoft are so great & powerful that they could not possibly make a product that could fail to sell in the required numbers? I'm sure there must have been people who said similar things at Sega.

Again, I don't think my household is the only one in the universe perfectly suited to accept a new Xbox in it's loving embrace (my son can't wait to get his hands on it, talks about it nearly as much as he does his motorbikes). None of the "drawbacks" of the new system bother him in the slightest, in fact he raves about many of the things that you guys seem to find a "big issue".

He's not weird. He's not a freak. He sure as heck isn't stupid.

He IS a long term, hardcore gaming fanatic. And I'm sure he's not alone in his opinion.

Alone no, in a majority...? If he is really ''raving'' about the forced use of Kinect, TV thing, no games rentals, restrictions on used games etc. then that is his choice. I'll be honest I'm finding it quite difficult to see why anybody would think that any of those are a positive thing.

Agree with him about motorbikes though! :)
Tue 11/06/13 at 21:07
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Machie wrote:
All this talk of prism and 1984 (which I'm betting Nin has a lot to say on the subject) I'll give the Xbox One a miss for now.

Been stalking my public Twitter, have we? ;) Microsoft picked a bad time to talk about Kinnect watching you and reporting back for advertising purposes. Their whole PR campaign for this machine has been an unmitigated disaster.

Sony have announced today that they can't stop 3rd party companies enforcing DRM and licensing. It's not really news as nothing has actually changed, it just means EA are going to continue to b***h out their users. No wonder Sony gave them no attention last night.
Tue 11/06/13 at 20:00
"possibly impossible"
I still can't see how Xbox One insists on installing every game to the hard drive and then only provides a non-changeable 500GB drive. Hopefully there's some logic behind it.
Tue 11/06/13 at 19:06
Regular
How does he feel about the Xbox One being region locked and the Playstation 4 being region free?
Tue 11/06/13 at 18:01
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pete_21 wrote:
I also believe that the comments were totally unintentional, it's unfortunate timing as this would appear to be another PR disaster for Microsoft in a week they could have totally done without it. It is going to be very difficult for them to undo the damage they have done to their Xbox brand recently. Come winter time it's looking as though Sony are going to blow them out of the water.

Damage to what, now?

And blow them out of what water?

I can't remember how many times people have said "Ooh, Microsoft have got it all wrong" over the past twenty years. Funny how they keep on ticking...

Again, I don't think my household is the only one in the universe perfectly suited to accept a new Xbox in it's loving embrace (my son can't wait to get his hands on it, talks about it nearly as much as he does his motorbikes). None of the "drawbacks" of the new system bother him in the slightest, in fact he raves about many of the things that you guys seem to find a "big issue".

He's not weird. He's not a freak. He sure as heck isn't stupid.

He IS a long term, hardcore gaming fanatic. And I'm sure he's not alone in his opinion.
Tue 11/06/13 at 16:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
A typical 'American' reaction if you ask me ;¬)
Tue 11/06/13 at 15:51
Regular
"I like turtles"
I also believe that the comments were totally unintentional, it's unfortunate timing as this would appear to be another PR disaster for Microsoft in a week they could have totally done without it. It is going to be very difficult for them to undo the damage they have done to their Xbox brand recently. Come winter time it's looking as though Sony are going to blow them out of the water.
Tue 11/06/13 at 12:56
"possibly impossible"
I still can't believe some people could read that as anything other than what it was, a friendly jibe in a fighting game.

The people incinuating it was a joke about rape are the ones who obviously have this on their minds for whatever reason.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.