GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare to go multiformat !!! (Ninty's brace yourselfs)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/02/02 at 19:20
Regular
Remember the Rare Christmas card on the upwire a while back? You know the one showing all 3 consoles that hinted they may be going multiformat? Well have a read of this article :-)

Taken from PSI-2 (Unofficial PS2 magazine)

--
The Rumors began around Christmas time, but PSI2 can exclusivly reveal that rare, developers of classics such as Goldeneye and Banjo Kazooie are to make the move to multiformat developers. It's known that rare are busy working on titles for gamecube including the highly anticipated Starfox Adventures and RPG monster training adventure Kameo:Elements of power. Although an official announcement is yet to be made, Sources very close to Rare have confirmed to PSI-2 that the well-respected developer will be making games for all formats including your beloved PS2, Which can only be a good thing. Rare is held in regards after such hit games as Perfect Dark and Conker's bad fur day. With the possible exception of Kameo we'd expect any other games to be new material and not ports of currently announced gamecube titles or sequels to other Rare hits, as an intended sequel to Conker's bad fur day was scrapped before it was officially announced. We'll bring you more details as soon as we get them.
--

Make of it what you will, but I won't be too surprised when they officially announce it :-)

Res
Mon 25/02/02 at 23:21
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
because then you get to the stage where no one has more than one console- so why have more than one console on the market? And then one company has a monopoly on the console industry. So we, the consumers, end up paying more for our consoles (no competition you see?) and the company making the console hardware has no reason to innovate, or try to improve any aspect of the console.

Okay, maybe that's a worst case scenario, but hey.

Anyway, I wouldn't really mind Rare going multi-format as long as they still brought all their games to GC, and brought them to GC first, then a PS2/ Xbox port- not the other way round!
Mon 25/02/02 at 23:03
Regular
"699 days!"
Thought:

Using Ali's logic, what is the point of gaes on a single console at all? Which leads to the point: if all developers took that view why would anyone need more than one console?
Mon 25/02/02 at 23:01
What's the big deal? If Rare go multi-format, why should it bother you? If you've already got a Nintendo console, and you own a great Rare game, why should it matter if other gamers get to play it too? That's just selfish.

And anyway, games companies soon won't be able to survive developing for just one format - as more and more companies go multi, the competition will become too strong. Sega and EA are on top of their game at the moment, and Rare won't fritter their money away on a solitary console.

And anyway again, who cares. Just wanted to re-iterate that point.
Mon 25/02/02 at 22:44
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I still doubt it... Rare go multiformat and Ninty aren't too pleased. Despite what Turbo says about Nintendo not owning Rare, Rare go multiplatform and Ninty aren't likely to give Rare out many more liscences to them. And they won't be happy bunnies...

And anyway, Rare are multiformat already:

They're making GC AND GBA games...

:D
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:41
Regular
Heh, Even Goatboy got confused between Rage and Rare once. Went and done a whole topic on how Rare are going multi-format. Think it was a Mike tyson game or somthin.

The punk.
Mon 25/02/02 at 21:13
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> Me thinks you've got Rare and Rage mixed up again.
> :0)

I doubt it, because Rage are already multi-format and they wouldn't
> print anything about it because it's not a story.

Dringo, Rare don't have to
> buy anything from Ninendo. They don't own a controlling stake, and so don't have
> much say. The worse they can do is sell all their shares.

Nintendo own Rare.

And no he said RARE make PC games they dont RAGE do.
Mon 25/02/02 at 20:41
Regular
Refering to Shanksy, Turbo. Hostile Waters was made by Rage.
Mon 25/02/02 at 20:27
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I tried this one... only for a joke, but I got so much abuse... I still get hate mail and i've still got a lump on my head where a guy dressed as StarFox came round to my house and hit me with a BAFTA...!

I tried to sue Chris Stamper, but he said that if I did, he'd run me over in his TVR... git.
Mon 25/02/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Me thinks you've got Rare and Rage mixed up again. :0)

I doubt it, because Rage are already multi-format and they wouldn't print anything about it because it's not a story.

Dringo, Rare don't have to buy anything from Ninendo. They don't own a controlling stake, and so don't have much say. The worse they can do is sell all their shares.
Mon 25/02/02 at 19:09
"possibly impossible"
RARE going multiformat may have been good for them if they were a seperate company, rather than having important ties with Nintendo.

Perhaps they could do an Ultimate compilation of classics one day. Till then, there is always my lovely N64...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.