GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare to go multiformat !!! (Ninty's brace yourselfs)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/02/02 at 19:20
Regular
Remember the Rare Christmas card on the upwire a while back? You know the one showing all 3 consoles that hinted they may be going multiformat? Well have a read of this article :-)

Taken from PSI-2 (Unofficial PS2 magazine)

--
The Rumors began around Christmas time, but PSI2 can exclusivly reveal that rare, developers of classics such as Goldeneye and Banjo Kazooie are to make the move to multiformat developers. It's known that rare are busy working on titles for gamecube including the highly anticipated Starfox Adventures and RPG monster training adventure Kameo:Elements of power. Although an official announcement is yet to be made, Sources very close to Rare have confirmed to PSI-2 that the well-respected developer will be making games for all formats including your beloved PS2, Which can only be a good thing. Rare is held in regards after such hit games as Perfect Dark and Conker's bad fur day. With the possible exception of Kameo we'd expect any other games to be new material and not ports of currently announced gamecube titles or sequels to other Rare hits, as an intended sequel to Conker's bad fur day was scrapped before it was officially announced. We'll bring you more details as soon as we get them.
--

Make of it what you will, but I won't be too surprised when they officially announce it :-)

Res
Wed 27/02/02 at 22:49
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Rare going multiformat?

A certain Mr Yakuza might be getting a
> call...

(See back of NGC. Look at the business card on Yamauchi's Laptop!
> ;-D)

That was so very very very funny..
Wed 27/02/02 at 22:48
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Dringo, they don't "own" Rare. They DO have a 45% stake in them so the
> have influence, but Rare can do whatever the hell they want.

No they own 100% of RARE I asked them they told me, Nintendo bought us out many many years ago now go bother somebody else.

That is exactly what they said.
Wed 27/02/02 at 22:44
Regular
Ali@specialreserve wrote:
> What's the big deal? If Rare go multi-format, why should it bother you? If
> you've already got a Nintendo console, and you own a great Rare game, why should
> it matter if other gamers get to play it too? That's just selfish.

If RARE go multiformat those great Nintendo licensed games won't be made anymore so it would be a classic shame.

And
> anyway, games companies soon won't be able to survive developing for just one
> format - as more and more companies go multi, the competition will become too
> strong. Sega and EA are on top of their game at the moment, and Rare won't
> fritter their money away on a solitary console.

Because Nintendo own Rare.

And anyway again, who cares.
> Just wanted to re-iterate that point.

Because Nintendo own Rare.
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:55
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Sibs wrote:
> listen to the eords of the wise one!

I've seen pics of Cooky and you wouldn't
> wanna meet him in a dark alley... :D

What you tryin' to say?

:(
Wed 27/02/02 at 18:44
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
listen to the eords of the wise one!

I've seen pics of Cooky and you wouldn't wanna meet him in a dark alley... :D

(No offense!!!) ;-)

Oh, and he has made a website... so listen to his wise words... that is all.
Wed 27/02/02 at 11:04
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Ali@specialreserve wrote:
> What's the big deal? If Rare go multi-format, why should it bother you? If
> you've already got a Nintendo console, and you own a great Rare game, why should
> it matter if other gamers get to play it too? That's just selfish.

And
> anyway, games companies soon won't be able to survive developing for just one
> format - as more and more companies go multi, the competition will become too
> strong. Sega and EA are on top of their game at the moment, and Rare won't
> fritter their money away on a solitary console.

And anyway again, who cares.
> Just wanted to re-iterate that point.

oooo let's have a go at the staff! ( sorry :) )

Right for starters if every developer was to develop multiformat then what would be the point in having multiple consoles?

About the only difference between consoles is a slight difference in specs, but the main difference is each's individual 1st and 2nd party developers. Take those away and your left with just 3 empty consoles, with everyone bringing out the same games on all the different consoles.

Generally that is what happens. But each console has its OWN titles. These are what make you buy a certain console! If you wanted to play Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and Gran Turismo then your gonna HAVE to get yourself a PS2! (i know MGSX is commin' to X-Box) If you want to play Halo, Amped, Project Gothem, then your gonna HAVE to get an X-Box! If you want to play Wave Race, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Starfox Adventures, Donkey Kong, Rogue Leader, Metroid, Kameo, and Perfect Dark then your gonna HAVE to get a GAMECUBE!

And so my point is each console developer wants to have as many game developers making games exclusively for them as they can. Because if they do then more people will HAVE to buy their console if they want to play the top games which are ONLY offered on their console.

Thus the idea of Rare going multi-format will annoy some people because if they start to develop say for the PS2, then there won't be as much of a reason to get a Gamecube as there would be if Rare only developed for Gamecube! That's why people don't want Rare to go multi! I personally want to see Nintendo to rise again to their RIGHTFUL position as the top console developer! I have mucho respect for them with what they try to do in the games industry! I reallly don't have any respect for Sony and Microsoft because they're only in it for the money. Their heart and soul aren't behind their console like Nintendo! This is why I don't want Nintendo to loose one of it's greatest developers, and a developer I hope to one day work for! And this is THE reason why this idea of Rare going multi-format WON'T happen!

I'm sorry if that seemed like a go at you, but I hope you see and understand my point!

Thanks for readin'!

Peace

:) Cooky :)
Wed 27/02/02 at 10:19
Regular
Rare going multiformat?

A certain Mr Yakuza might be getting a call...

(See back of NGC. Look at the business card on Yamauchi's Laptop! ;-D)
Tue 26/02/02 at 09:59
"slightlyshortertagl"
Why should a publisher make for only ONE format when money is practically definate across all formats
Tue 26/02/02 at 08:29
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Dringo, they don't "own" Rare. They DO have a 45% stake in them so the have influence, but Rare can do whatever the hell they want.

Same as the Sony/Square deal... Square can still publish for who they want.

As someone has mentioned already, if this is true, and Rare do move to multiformat, it'll be because of the money and nothing else. It makes more sense for a firm to publish across all formats to ensure a healthy revenue rather than to risk financial losses sticking to one format...
Tue 26/02/02 at 08:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo, they don't "own" Rare. They DO have a 45% stake in them so the have influence, but Rare can do whatever the hell they want.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.