GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo 64"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/02/00 at 09:34
Regular
Here a question.

How long do people think the N64 has left to live?

With games like Perfect Dark, Zelda: The Continuing Sage, Turok 3, A Resident Evil game, Top Gear Rally 2, and a bunch of other wicked games this year. How long will the N64 live for? Specially with the PS2 and Dolphin on the horizon how much longer can the N64 last?

Cooky
Page:
Wed 10/05/00 at 18:41
Here is what perfect darks combat simulation will be like:
Almost three years after GodenEye was released, many of us are still playing the multiplayer mode. You'll be pleased to know that Perfect Dark will include a multiplayer mode...and some! Compared with Perfect Dark's combat simulation (Rare's way of saying multiplayer very flashy), GoldenEye's standard multiplayer crumbles and looks on in awe. Simulants (Bots to P.c users) are the main addition to the mode - computer-controlled opponents and friends. With three of the original GoldenEye levels available – Temple, Complex and Facility, in Futuristic form, the combat simulation mode also features around 30 levels or scenarios
Simulants a.k.a. 'Bots'
The Simulants are computer-controlled players who you can play with in the combat simulation mode. Up to eight simulants can play with four human players, bringing the total number of characters in one game to a maximum of 12 (only with the expansion pak - 2 players maximum without it). With the ability to play as friend or foe, the simulants enable an astounding array of team-play options. Imagine playing with four friends against eight super-intelligent bots, or with a team of eight simulants on your team, to take on three friends. Alternatively, it also opens the possibility to ironically play multi-player alone - at least with no other human players.
Simulant Types: There are around 20-30 different types of simulants to play with/against in the combat simulator, each type having different characteristics.

Not all the simulants are available when you first buy the game - with new variations being unlocked as you proceed through the game. I presume that the NormalSim is immediately available, but most other sims will have to be earned. You can also set one of five different skill levels for the sims, with Dark and Perfect sims being the hardest two.
When a simulant is on your team, you can control him/her, probably using the D-pad, or possibly by holding down a button and selecting in Turok-weapon-select style (also the same weapon select style adopted by Perfect Dark). Options include telling the simulant to attack, follow, protect, defend and hold. Although most likely helpful, it is not essential to give a simulant commands, and they will work well without them.
Combat Challenge
Another new addition to Perfect Dark is the Combat Challenge game consisting of a series of 30 scenarios, using the various multiplayer modes as shown below. These challenges will have to be completed with 1, 2, 3 and four people to unlock some of the goodies of the game. Simulants will probably be able to take the place of your team-mates, although it might be wise to select some of your skilled friends. Simulants will always make up the enemy.
Options
Whilst GoldenEye alowed you to select such options as weapon group, health etc., Perfect Dark presents you with all the old options, in addition to a wider range of newbies, enabling you to play the perfect battle. If there's a certain option set which you play with often, then this can even be saved and loaded back up next time you play.
Game modes: There will be a large number of different gaming modes available,

Weapon Selection: Here you can choose to play with either a certain group of weapons (with new groups including the Carrington and Custom sets), or custom select five items of your choice. The Shield (equivalent of GoldenEye's body-armour) is counted as one of the weapons, so it's possible to turn it off. Selecting no weapon in a slot means you can play with less than five weapons, and selecting no weaponry brings about a fist-fight. As you progress through the game you can even unlock the old GoldenEye weapons to use. It is rumoured that in the latest version of the game you can select as many or as few weapons as you'd like, although we are not sure how this would be possible.
Game Limits: You can choose exactly how long a match will last, either by time or by score (kills). Time can be increased in one minute intervals up to around 22 minutes, and kills from one to 45.
Teams: This option allows you to choose who goes on what team, how many simulants will be playing, and probably which breeds of simulants they are.
Character: You can customise your character In this game unfortunately not using your own face any more though (face-mapping has been cancelled). Still, it is possible to select which body goes with which head, whether or not you have a handicap, and what you want to call yourself.
All-important options: Other options, which can be toggled on/off, include one-shot-kills (equivalent of license to kill), radar, explodable walls, no doors and floodlights. Most levels are usually quite dark, where shooting actually lights them up, so the floodlight enables you to see further. No doors is a useful option to stop people shutting a door behind them, preventing anyone else entering a room. Not much is known about the explodable walls yet, although it is likely that only certain wall segments can be blown up, probalby only with mines or powerful weaponry.
Statistics
Battle Statistics: As in GoldenEye, on completion of each multiplayer battle you're presented with such informatin as yourposition, your skill level, your weapon of choice and awards won. Whilst there are the regular awarads which you could win in GoldenEye, with a few extras, there are also star-awards, which you can store on your permanent record...
Permanent Statistics: Using the memory pak, Perfect Dark enables you to save your personal combat simulation statisctics so that you can keep track of your name and customised details, the number of hours you've spent playing, the number of games you've played/won/lost, the amount of damage you've inflicted/dealt, your skill rating (one of 21 different levels, from Beginner to Perfect) and even the distance over which your character has travelled! Not only that, but there are four prestigious awards to be won as well. Each award shows up as a coloured star on your personal-bio: green for accuracy; yellow for head shots; red for killmaster; and blue for survivor. To be presented with one of these awards takes some skill, and getting all four in one match is the ultimate challenge. On your bio, the quantity of each award is recorded.
The Arenas
GoldenEye's multiplayer arenas consisted of both purpose-built levels and extracts from the solo-player game, whilst Perfect Dark's are all designed specifically for multiplayer action. You can also unlock classic GoldenEye levels, namely the Complex, Facility and Temple, all with subtle changes to them. With the multiplayer with 4 players and 8 bots the frame rate is very poor and is very annoying.
Wed 10/05/00 at 21:37
Whenever I have a games party with my mates, the N64 is what gets played the most (even though there are a DC and a PlayStation under the TV too, with tons of great games), because there are some really great 4-player games which will probably never lose their appeal until their sequels are released on the Dolphin. I wish Sony or Sega would sell more console units than Sony, because everyone who's been into gaming before the arrival of the PlayStation knows that Sega and Nintendo make better games. It's all down to advertising in the end, and that's what Sony's good at...

Fogmaster wrote:
> Some of the newer N64 owners might not realise this as much as to
> the people that bought it when encountered the shores of England,
> but my point is this although the playstation bring out loads and
> loads of new brand spanking new games every day! they only bring
> out one game that scratches past the gaming hall of fame every 6
> months or so. But when you paid your Ł100+ for your Nintendo you
> knew that their would be brilliant game after brilliant game
> passing through the doors of your favorite games shop doors, games
> like Mario 64, Goldeneye, Mariokart just to name a few of the
> games that will be loved and cherished by all N64 gamers from
> around the world, this is when you realise that the N64 won't go
> out of fashion for a long time to come even when the dolphin
> enters my front door, my N64 will still have it's own spot in
> front of my tv. Multiplayer games will still be played when your
> mates come over, even if their is a new game that is a hundred
> times better and faster..........it will never be forgotten.
Thu 11/05/00 at 16:58
Goldeneye has been one of the most widely anticipated titles for the Nintendo64. Many N64 users have been longing for the chance to show people what their machine can actually do. Well, it was worth the wait. Goldeneye is one of the best first person shooters ever.
Much like its N64 brethren, Turok, Goldeneye is totally polygonal. The graphics are tight and are sure to impress even the die hard N64 skeptic. All the characters have intricate faces layered on top of their polygonal heads. While up close this looks freaky, you still have to be impressed. Simply watching a guy from the distance is entertaining. He'll swat at flies, scratch himself, even carry on silent conversations with other guards (then you can shoot him in the head). But certainly the most impressive use of the graphical engine comes when you use the sniper rifle. You have the option to use the sight on the rifle and zoom in on enemies that are really far away. The zoom is smooth and fast, bringing all the objects into sharp detail. The levels with the rifle were always the most fun, it would have been great if you could have used it more often.
There are so many first person shooters out there that each one needs to find something to excel at. Goldeneye chose to try to be more realistic than any other first person game (not a hard task). If you can name one other game that allows you to shoot a guy in the back of the head while he is sitting on the toilet, I owe you a Coke. Realistic settings have been few and far between in the first person genre. Most aren't even on planet Earth. This sets Goldeneye apart from the pack. Driving a tank through downtown St. Petersburg, running over the occasional pedestrian, definitely has a certain appeal.
The weapons also add to the realism. Although many of the guns you get are complete fantasy, at least they aren't just lying around (or floating in midair). Unlike other games, in order to get a new gun, you have to kill an enemy and take his weapon. If the guy you kill has a gun you don't have, you simply take it from his dead corpse. There are only occasional points where you find weapons in a crate, but that's to be expected when you're raiding a paramilitary organization.

There are also a wide variety of weapons that you can use, some harder to find then others. Starting almost every level, Bond is equipped with his favorite PP7. Sometimes it has a silencer so you can kill people without letting the other guards know. Other weapons include the aforementioned Sniper Rifle, an Auto-Shotgun, a Grenade Launcher, and, one of my favorites, the throwing knife. Some of these weapons are remarkably hard to find because either one character on the entire level is equipped with it, or somebody dropped it down a grating (HINT!). The only problem with the weapon setup is the apparent arbitrary nature of whether or not you're able to simultaneously use two of a certain gun. While some levels allow you to double up some guns, some levels will only allow you to carry one. Strange. Overall if you have a N64 you must own this game it is brilliant.
Thu 11/05/00 at 16:59
rares game delays are now hiting them hard. When the first released screens of PD it said it will be released early 1999, We are STILL waiting for this one game for a year and a half. I myself was ecited about pd when i first herd but now i am not worried about it. it has made me wait so long that i dont care and will just buy it when it comes out. if rare continue delaying games (every game that has bewen made) everyone just wont make any hype about it and rare wont be able to make any good games. Also rare delay games to make them better, but look at goldeneye, before it was released the game would be 10 times bigger, look at the sites with the beta mode on them. so what do they reley do when they are delaying games??
Maybe just waiting for the right time to release the game when most people will buy it. What do you think???
Thu 11/05/00 at 17:00
Here are some tips for the best game I have ever bought: Pokemon Stadium
This game is amazing it includes every single pokemon in it in full 3D, Wicked

New Title Screen:
Beat both the Gym Leader Castle and Stadium modes to change the title screen (in addition to the map mode). The new title shows Pikachu, Blastoise, Charizard, Venusaur and Mewtwo.

Amnesia Psyduck:
Get all 151 Pokemon in the hall of fame.

Surfing Pikachu:
First, get to the Round 2 Prime Cup Masterball Challenge. Make a Pikachu one of the 6 pokemon on your team. This Pikachu must be from a Game Boy Pokemon game pak. It cannot be a rental pokemon. It also cannot be registered anywhere on your Pokemon Stadium game. So, do NOT register this team when you are done picking it. When you begin to fight, you must make Pikachu one of the three pokemon you select for all eight battles. You cannot use any continues. Also, you cannot save and quit anytime during the cup. If you are successful, you will be rewarded by being taken to a special screen where you can teach Pikachu surf.

Talking Pikachu:
Upload Pikachu from the yellow version of the game to Pokemon Stadium. When battling, Pikachu will say its name and have different moves. Note: You must go into battle for this to work. Do not register Pikachu.

Get Pokémon for Game Boy game:
Complete one of the Gym Leader Castles of the Elite Four or your rival to get one of the following random Pokémon that can be transferred back to your Game Boy Pokémon game:
Eevee
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Squirtle
Charmander
Bulbasaur
Omanyte
Kabuto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pokémon Stadium Cup requirements
Pika Cup:
Pokémon can only be between level 15-20.

Petit Cup:
Level ranges between 25-30. There is a height requirement though. Height 6'8" limit and weight 44 pounds.

Poké Cup:
Only can use 3 Pokémon, levels 50-55. The sum of the Pokémon's levels cannot exceed 155.

Prime Cup:
Everything is legal. You can have any level, height, weight, or number of Pokémon. However, your opponents' levels are always 100.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hints
Colored Pokemon:
To change the colors of your pokemon try changing the names. For example; use lower case letters (ie: poliwhirl) change the syllables (ie: Drillbee) or just plain leave a part out (ie: pika). This can really alter the Pokemon's looks...you can even get a Pink Mewtwo!

Rent Mew:
Beat the Gym Leader Castle, plus beat all the cups in Masterball and you will have unlocked a new gaming mode and a new rental pokemon. Mew is now a rental pokemon. He can only be used in prime cup, Gym Leader Castle, and Free Battle (prime cup rules only). You will also have a new title screen.
Thu 11/05/00 at 18:56
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
did you know that if you complete all 20 levels and get the all weapons cheat you can use the sniper rifle on any level you want!
I like putting the life level of my enemies up to 100%, going to facitity and getting the scientists to pull a grenade out on me, when they have I shoot them in the right leg (so they grab it with their right hand) leaving the left hand with the greade open for me to shoot!! try it it helps your targeting with the sniper. but mind out, if they throw the grenade then you don't get much time to run away!
True this game is good and everyone knows it. good review.
Thu 11/05/00 at 20:51
I totally agree, my SNES has also got its space in front of the TV and I still have a Gameboy. Most playstaions games are 2-D, etc (see my comment in playstation General comments for a real hate message for the PS). I've never got bored of Nintendo and can't wait for the Dolphin. Its a pity the Double D only got released in Japan (only 100,000 actually exist).

Fogmaster wrote:
> Some of the newer N64 owners might not realise this as much as to
> the people that bought it when encountered the shores of England,
> but my point is this although the playstation bring out loads and
> loads of new brand spanking new games every day! they only bring
> out one game that scratches past the gaming hall of fame every 6
> months or so. But when you paid your Ł100+ for your Nintendo you
> knew that their would be brilliant game after brilliant game
> passing through the doors of your favorite games shop doors, games
> like Mario 64, Goldeneye, Mariokart just to name a few of the
> games that will be loved and cherished by all N64 gamers from
> around the world, this is when you realise that the N64 won't go
> out of fashion for a long time to come even when the dolphin
> enters my front door, my N64 will still have it's own spot in
> front of my tv. Multiplayer games will still be played when your
> mates come over, even if their is a new game that is a hundred
> times better and faster..........it will never be forgotten.
Fri 12/05/00 at 06:39
Star wars Rouge Squadron.

After Goldeneye this is my favorite game on the N64, it has good graphics, brilliant gameplay and brilliant sound effects, but most importantly of all(In my opinion.)it has great atmosphere, with loads of different ships, levels and weapons it has turned out to be one of thee best games on the N64.
A credit to the Nintendo race.

In Rogue Squadron, your missions will take place during the time period between Star Wars: A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Your superior officer, General Rieekan, will brief you on your mission objectives and advise you on tactics that will help you defeat your Imperial opposition. Wedge Antilles and other Rogue Squadron members will be your wingmen on your missions, which will range from rescue and reconnaissance to search-and-destroy—and more. You’ll take on the Empire in air-to-air dogfights and air-to-ground combat over the far-flung planets of the Star Wars universe. As you improve your skills, you’ll be able to pilot more advanced craft, fire more powerful weapons, and fly more challenging missions. In this struggle between the forces of freedom and the forces of darkness, your skill and daring will make all the difference!

I have enclosed a list of cheats I found along the road to completing this game.
I have used all of these I assure you that they do work!!!

ACE - Weaker shields
BLAMEUS - See pictures of the game designers
CHICKEN - Bonus level where you play as an AT-ST
CREDITS - View credits
DEADDACK - All Levels
DIRECTOR - View intermission sequences (new option in Settings menu)
FARMBOY - Fly Millenium Falcon
HARDROCK - Changes Luke's face on title screen
IGIVEUP - Unlimited Lives
KOELSCH - Fly a car (Electra) instead of a V-Wing
MAESTRO - Music Test
RADAR - Enhances radar. Ships flying higher are brighter,
ships flying lower are darker
TIEDUP - Fly a Tie Interceptor (push up from Millenium Falcon)
TOUGHGUY - All powerups
Enable Naboo fighter from Episode 1:
Enter the password HALIFAX?. Then select 'enter code' and type in !YNGWIE!. Select 'enter code' again to enable the Naboo craft. To disable, enter HALIFAX? then any other word.
Bonus Levels:
Battle of Hoth - Finish all levels with a GOLD medal
Death Star Trench Run - Finish all levels with a SILVER medal
Beggar's Canyon - Finish all levels with a BRONZE medal
GameShark Codes
Infinite Lives 80130b100008

Infinite Secondary Weapons 8010ca320008

99 Kills 80130b850063

99 Saves 80130b860063

All Levels/Ships 80130b4d007e

Extra Shields 81137e7c4316

I have enclosed a list of cheats I found along the road to completing this game.

ACE - Weaker shields
CREDITS - View credits
DEADDACK - All Levels
MAESTRO - Music Test
TOUGHGUY - All powerups
Enter the password HALIFAX?. Then select 'enter code' and type in !YNGWIE!. Select 'enter code' again to enable the Naboo craft. To disable, enter HALIFAX? then any other word.
Bonus Levels:
GameShark Codes

99 Kills 80130b850063

99 Saves 80130b860063

Fri 12/05/00 at 06:43

After Goldeneye this is my favorite game on the N64, it has good graphics, brilliant gameplay and brilliant sound effects, but most importantly of all(In my opinion.)it has great atmosphere, with loads of different ships, levels and weapons it has turned out to be one of thee best games on the N64.

In Rogue Squadron, your missions will take place during the time period between Star Wars: A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Your superior officer, General Rieekan, will brief you on your mission objectives and advise you on tactics that will help you defeat your Imperial opposition. Wedge Antilles and other Rogue Squadron members will be your wingmen on your missions, which will range from rescue and reconnaissance to search-and-destroy—and more. You’ll take on the Empire in air-to-air dogfights and air-to-ground combat over the far-flung planets of the Star Wars universe. As you improve your skills, you’ll be able to pilot more advanced craft, fire more powerful weapons, and fly more challenging missions. In this struggle between the forces of freedom and the forces of darkness, your skill and daring will make all the difference!

ACE - Weaker shields
CREDITS - View credits
DEADDACK - All Levels
MAESTRO - Music Test
TOUGHGUY - All powerups
Bonus Levels:
GameShark Codes

99 Kills 80130b850063

99 Saves 80130b860063

ACE - Weaker shields
CREDITS - View credits
DEADDACK - All Levels
MAESTRO - Music Test
TOUGHGUY - All powerups
Bonus Levels:
GameShark Codes

99 Kills 80130b850063

99 Saves 80130b860063

Fri 12/05/00 at 06:43

ACE - Weaker shields
CREDITS - View credits
DEADDACK - All Levels
MAESTRO - Music Test
TOUGHGUY - All powerups
Bonus Levels:
GameShark Codes

99 Kills 80130b850063

99 Saves 80130b860063

ACE - Weaker shields
CREDITS - View credits
DEADDACK - All Levels
MAESTRO - Music Test
TOUGHGUY - All powerups
Bonus Levels:
GameShark Codes

99 Kills 80130b850063

99 Saves 80130b860063

Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.