GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo 64"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/02/00 at 09:34
Regular
Here a question.

How long do people think the N64 has left to live?

With games like Perfect Dark, Zelda: The Continuing Sage, Turok 3, A Resident Evil game, Top Gear Rally 2, and a bunch of other wicked games this year. How long will the N64 live for? Specially with the PS2 and Dolphin on the horizon how much longer can the N64 last?

Cooky
Page:
Sun 07/05/00 at 09:20
The world's sexiest, craftiest, most debonair spy is back not only on the movie screen but also on the video game screen. The World Is Not Enough follows the recent trend of making James Bond games that closely follow the plotlines of the movies they're named after. The N64 version of TWINE is the second Bond game to appear on the N64, as EA's first attempt with the Bond license appeared only on the PlayStation. Like GoldenEye, TWINE is a task-based first-person shooter where you assume the role of James Bond.

While The World is Not Enough is the second Bond game to be published by Electronic Arts, it's the first game to return to GoldenEye's first-person shooter formula. Michael Condrey, the game's producer, explains why EA chose to return to an FPS viewpoint. "No doubt, N64 gamers want Bond, and we most definitely want to provide them with the James Bond sequel. That said, they also asked us to maintain the first-person-shooter style of the previous Bond-licensed N64 title. Accordingly, you will be Bond, and you will experience the world through the eyes of James Bond." TWINE will definitely maintain the style of GoldenEye, with similar mission objectives and control layouts, yet it will also feature new gameplay elements. Still, TWINE has to face some tough competition, as GoldenEye's developer Rare is close to being done with its latest FPS creation, Perfect Dark. Condrey doesn't seem to be concerned: "[TWINE] is stunning, with spectacular graphics and incredible environmental effects. And most importantly, it achieves that level of graphic quality while maintaining an extremely fast frame rate. Plus, the player gets to be Bond - the girls, the gadgets, the exotic locations - in a role that has thrilled fans over the last four decades."

But while TWINE is a first-person shooter, the gameplay isn't all shooting. As in GoldenEye, you'll have mission objectives that you'll have to complete to pass the level. Not only will these objectives differ between skill levels, but objectives can also be updated as you're playing the level, giving you new tasks to accomplish depending on your actions. EA is also taking some creative license with the title. As Condrey explains, "TWINE was an incredible movie, and the storyline lends itself to a terrific game design. However, we also wanted to have creative license to develop the plot further than the movie could. Players anticipating all the action of James Bond will definitely get it, including the opportunity to further their experience through stealth, strategic planning, and utilization of a full arsenal of Q-Lab gadgets." So while the game will follow the plotline of the movie, it won't be restricted by it - allowing you to actually experience every aspect of Bond.

Experiencing every aspect of being Bond includes using all his amazing spy gadgets and high-powered weapons. The N64 version of TWINE will have more than 40 weapons and gadgets, which is significantly more than the PlayStation version has. Each of these weapons and gadgets will have its own unique feel and will affect enemies differently. "In the single player missions, nothing is more satisfying than using the Q-Lab watch tazer to temporarily stun an enemy, and then finishing him off with a classic Bond right cross to the jaw! You will also have night vision, X-ray glasses, satchel charges, and other Q-Lab gadgets throughout your missions. In single-player and multiplayer modes, you will have opportunity to use some of the big gun; the GL-40 grenade launcher, the MRL-22 shoulder-fired rocket launcher, the AT-420 antitank missile, and the hard hitting .44 caliber Windsor Viper, for example." All of this information is from screen shots off of the internet that i have worked out!!!
Sun 07/05/00 at 17:24
In other peoples views rare has messed up with perfect dark, not because of the delays, not because of the GB mapping system being taken out of it but because it has gone all futureistic, One thing that made goldeneye so popular was its realism. Rare should have set the game in WW2, that would of upped the gore level, weapons from the era should of been included, Who would you rather kill Aliens or nazis, well i think that medal of honour on the playstation was a copy of goldeneye, and if they bought out a WW2 game that would be a copy of medal of honour, so it was better they bought out the futueristic one first and then playstation will copy....again
Mon 08/05/00 at 18:41
In other peoples views rare has messed up with perfect dark, not because of the delays, not because of the GB mapping system being taken out of it but because it has gone all futureistic, One thing that made goldeneye so popular was its realism. Rare should have set the game in WW2, that would of upped the gore level, weapons from the era should of been included, Who would you rather kill Aliens or nazis, well i think that medal of honour on the playstation was a copy of goldeneye, and if they bought out a WW2 game that would be a copy of medal of honour, so it was better they bought out the futueristic one first and then playstation will copy....again
Mon 08/05/00 at 18:43
Ever since I have played the Resident Evil Series on the PlayStation, I have been enthralled with the entire series. I thought the game was really well done, with many effects and game play within the title. I desired to have the game for the longest time on the PlayStation, but I didn't have the PlayStation game console, only N64. I knew many people felt the same way as I did, and I waited and waited for it on N64. Wait no longer, because Resident Evil on N64 is here. With better gameplay controls and graphics to add to the already awesome game, it is a must buy in my book, and if you like any Resident Evil-type game, you should get this title, so go get it.
Mon 08/05/00 at 18:45
When Perfect Dark, Rare's follow-up to the first-person shooter GoldenEye 007, was pushed out of 1999 and back to April 2000, many people found themselves without a worthwhile N64 game to play. Others became skeptical, thinking that when the game finally does ship, it won't be worth playing anyway. While the game isn't finished yet, and there are still some changes to be implemented, after playing the most recent version of the game, we think it looks like the wait will definitely be worth it. The game engine is not an enhanced version of the GoldenEye engine, says Nintendo's Ken Lobb "Basically, Rare was like, 'Well, we know what we like about the GoldenEye engine, let's throw everything else away.' They didn't like very much."

Perfect Dark's options really make it stand out. Not only is there a complete single-player game, with three difficulty levels (which have been changed a bit over GoldenEye's difficulty, making the easy level a bit easier and the hardest harder), but there is also a two-player cooperative mode that packs more enemies into the levels. The second player plays as Joanna Dark's sister, a blonde girl who hasn't been given a name yet. To go along with the co-op mode is a counter-operative mode. In this mode, the first player goes through the single-player game as normal, while the second player jumps into the body of one of the level's enemies. While you may be a bit smarter than the AI enemies in this mode, you'll still die as easily as the AI enemies. When you die as the enemy player, you can hit start and take over the body of another bad guy. Your mission as the counteroperative is to block Joanna's path by any means necessary. You can push furniture around and block doors, as well as slap the other guards, which causes them to take off in search of Joanna. The game features a lot of cutscenes, and in an interesting twist, you can skip the cutscenes and start the level while the cutscene is still occurring. This gives you a bit of control over things like where enemies are when you start the level. The enemy AI will pull off some interesting tricks. For instance, shooting out the lights in a room caused a room full of bad guys to run from the dark room into a nearby office, where they took cover and waited for us to enter the room. The storyline, told through cutscenes and in-mission radio traffic, starts out as your typical spy thriller, but after a few run-of-the-mill missions you'll find yourself dealing with alien autopsies, presidential clones, and a full-scale invasion of your home base, the Carrington Institute. Your campaign against the evil corporation, dataDyne, will eventually explode into a huge conflict between two alien races, the Maians and the Skedar.
Tue 09/05/00 at 13:17
Hi

Can anyone advise an N64 beginner on the best steering wheels to use with the console.

Thanks
Tue 09/05/00 at 13:49
There comes a time in every console's life when it has to step back and let the new boys enter the fray. Now, at some point the N64 is going to have to bow out of top-flight competition. But with the Dolphin still more than a year away, I don't reckon it's time has come just yet.
However, it seems that a number of retailers have taken it upon themselves to send the N64 into early retirement. In the last month or so I have noticed the likes of Game and EB halving the amount of shelf space they devote to N64 games. As with any format, this will lead to an increasing reliance on mail order companies. But the same thing is already happening there too. Since Gameplay switched their website from easy-to-use platform/product based format, to questionable magazine style, I have received their catalogue in the post, in which I find a grand total of 15 N64 games, most of which being the old classics, Pokemon stadium excepted of course.
The Pokemania sweeping the country seems to be being used as a smoke screen by retailers in order to push the rest of the N64 games quietly out of the back door while nobody's looking. I may be imagining things, but isn't one of the biggest games of the year about to be released on this format? Thought so.
To be honest, I don't much care that I soon won't be able to get my games on the High Street. Buying online is more convenient and less expensive. Whichever major online retailer can maintain a wide range of N64 new releases and bargain buy old titles will secure my custom and that of many others for a good while to come. I'm staying put until the Dolphin arrives.
Bit all this is from the consumer's point of view. Perhaps it would be interesting to hear comments from a retailer, or someone at Special Reserve.
Tue 09/05/00 at 13:55
I haven't got one myself, but N64 magazine rated the Mad Catz steering wheel at 90%. They reckon it has got the right "feel". it's supposed to be 40 quid but i have seen it for 25-30 in a number of places.
Tue 09/05/00 at 18:37
HI THERE! UNLIKE OTHER GAMES COMPANIES, WE HOLD ALL CONSOLES IN HIGH REGARD, AND CONSIDER ALL OF THE PLATFORMS AVAILABLE (AND SOON TO BE AVAILABLE) AS EQUALS. COMPANIES SUCH AS GAMEPLAY MIGHT ONLY ADVERTISE 10-20 GAMES, WHEREAS IN THIS MONTH'S COMING CATALOGUE, WE ARE SELLING OVER 100 FOR THE N64 ALONE, SO THE CHOICE FOR THE GAMER IS MUCH WIDER. AS FOR YOUR COMMENTS ON POKEMON, YOU CANT DENY THAT IT IS A BIG GAME, AND HAS A MASSIVE USER BASE, BUT WE DONT MAKE UP THE CUSTOMERS MINDS FOR THEM BY SHOVING IT DOWN THEIR THROAT 24/7. NOT ADVERTISING THE OTHER N64 GAMES WOULD BE SUICIDE! HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS, SEEYA!

speaker wrote:
> There comes a time in every console's life when it has to step
> back and let the new boys enter the fray. Now, at some point the
> N64 is going to have to bow out of top-flight competition. But
> with the Dolphin still more than a year away, I don't reckon it's
> time has come just yet.
> However, it seems that a number of retailers have taken it upon
> themselves to send the N64 into early retirement. In the last
> month or so I have noticed the likes of Game and EB halving the
> amount of shelf space they devote to N64 games. As with any
> format, this will lead to an increasing reliance on mail order
> companies. But the same thing is already happening there too.
> Since Gameplay switched their website from easy-to-use
> platform/product based format, to questionable magazine style, I
> have received their catalogue in the post, in which I find a grand
> total of 15 N64 games, most of which being the old classics,
> Pokemon stadium excepted of course.
> The Pokemania sweeping the country seems to be being used as a
> smoke screen by retailers in order to push the rest of the N64
> games quietly out of the back door while nobody's looking. I may
> be imagining things, but isn't one of the biggest games of the
> year about to be released on this format? Thought so.
> To be honest, I don't much care that I soon won't be able to get
> my games on the High Street. Buying online is more convenient and
> less expensive. Whichever major online retailer can maintain a
> wide range of N64 new releases and bargain buy old titles will
> secure my custom and that of many others for a good while to
> come. I'm staying put until the Dolphin arrives.
> Bit all this is from the consumer's point of view. Perhaps it
> would be interesting to hear comments from a retailer, or someone
> at Special Reserve.
Wed 10/05/00 at 07:40
Diddy Kong Racing

Diddy Kong Racing is one of the most amusing games I have ever played, with good graphics, gameplay and sound, and also it is one of those games where you cannot rest until you have completed every single track and race and uncovered everything that you can. With precision handling you can beat the evil Wipzig with the help of all your friends and of corse the big blue genie.
I have put some of the codes that I have found and some tips of advanced controls for the plane ,car and of corse the hovercraft.
You have to get this game.

Magic Codes
Enter these codes in the magic code screen
See the credits.
Code: WHODIDTHIS
Start with 10 bananas
Code: FREEFRUIT
Two players can play as the same character.
Code: DOUBLEVISION
All balloons are green
Code: TOXICOFFENDER
All balloons are rainbows
Code: OPPOSITESATTRACT
All balloons are yellow
Code: BODYARMOR
All balloons are red
Code: BOMBSAWAY
All balloons are blue
Code: ROCKETFUEL
No bananas in multiplayer mode
Code: NOYELLOWSTUFF
Computer can't use weapons
Code: BYEBYEBALLOONS
Two-player Adventure Mode
Code: JOINTVENTURE
Computer is VERY good
Code: TIMETOLOSE
Change horn sounds
Code: BLABBERMOUTH
Bananas slow you down
Code: BOGUSBANANAS
Unlimited bananas
Code: VITAMINB
No Zippers
Code: ZAPTHEZIPPERS
Fully powered-up balloons (level 3)
Code: FREEFORALL
Big Characters
Code: ARNOLD
Small Characters
Code: TEENYWEENIES
4 wheel drive (go as fast off road as on)
Code: OFFROAD
Go to audio options after this code
Code: JUKEBOX
Diddy Kong Racing has got to be the most FUNNEST racing game I have ever played. It combines both racing and adventure to bring you ultimate gameplay!

There are 4 balloons you can collect on the island. Here
is their location:
1. On your way to Dino Domain before the door is a balloon.
2. In between Wizpig's Face and a waterfall in the main area. Need the Plane.
3. Go out to the beach and under the log bridge. Look between all trees in the passage
to find one.
4. Follow the cliff side
along the water on the right, the balloon is a
little above the water.
4 Balloons
After you beat certain courses, Taj will
challenge you to 3 races (kart, hover, & plane) each
time you beat him he'll give you one balloon.
7 balloons
In each world, Dino Domain, Sherbert Island, Snowflake mountain and Dragon Forest, and Future Fun Land, get first place on each race. Then get all 8 silver coins and get first place again.

Racers

Name: TipTup
Acceleration: High
Weight: Light
Handling: Excellent
Top Speed: Medium
Overall: Excellent
Name: Timber
Acceleration: Medium
Weight: Medium
Handling: Good
Overall: Average

Name: Pipsy
Acceleration: High
Weight: Light
Handling: Excellent
Overall: Excellent

Name: Banjo
Acceleration: Low
Weight: Heavy
Top Speed: High
Overall: Poor

Name: Diddy Kong

Name: Bumper

Name: Conker
Handling :Good
Top Speed:Medium

Car
Power Slide
Press and hold the R Button to power slide around corners. You won't get a speed boost for power sliding, but you also won't lose any momentum as you go through the turn.

Tilt Turn
Hold A, B and R as you turn to execute a super sharp turn. Mastering this move will be essential to winning some of the more twisting courses. If you're driving a heavyweight like Krunch you'll need to use this maneuver on practically every turn, since the heavyweight turning radius is so poor.

Hovercraft
Hop and Turn
Cornering in the hovercraft can severely drain your speed, and even cause you to wipe out if you're a lightweight. To make a turn quickly and smoothly, tap the R Button repeatedly as you turn. Heavy characters like Banjo are the best for piloting the hovercraft.

Water Wiggle
Hold the R Button and wiggle the Control Stick back and forth as you accelerate in the hovercraft. If your timing is right and you don't wiggle too much, your hovercraft will accelerate and maintain a higher top speed than normal.

Airplane
Hard Bank
If you press and hold the R Button while flying the plane, you'll bank and turn a lot sharper than normal. If you master flying in this power steering mode, you'll have a big advantage when you come up against the trickier courses late in your adventure.

Loop and Barrel Roll
Tap the R Button twice and your plane will execute a barrel roll. This can be useful to backtrack and power-up your weapons. If you hold the R Button as you loop, you'll do a longer loop and backtrack even farther. To perform a barbell roll, hold the Control Stick to the left or right as you tap the R Button.

Use All the Zippers
The plane can take advantage of road zippers if you fly low enough to touch them.

Any Vehicle
Press the accelerator button just as the words "Get Ready" fade out and you'll get a speed boost off the starting line. Time it just right and you'll get a super fast blue boost.

Just before you get a boost from a zipper or Blue Balloon, lay off of the accelerator and you'll get an extra boost of speed. When your vehicle starts smoking, press the gas again.

The Racers
Now I'm not one to rat on my friends, but I've compiled my own scouting reports on each of them. Being the well-rounded racer that I am, I fall right in the middle in all three categories: top speed, acceleration and handling.

KRUNCH
I don't really know why this Kremling is hanging out with us, but hey, we need all the help we can get to defeat Wizpig. He's the heaviest racer and has the highest top speed. On the downside, his handling in atrocious and he accelerates like he's glued to the track.

BANJO
Banjo is another heavyweight racer, but his acceleration and handling are acceptable. He's a great choice for piloting a hovercraft. In many instances, Banjo will have to use the sharp turn technique to take corners cleanly.

BUMPER
Bumper's a light-heavyweight who does well on courses where there isn't a lot of turning required. His handling is slightly better than Conker's, but his acceleration is not as good.

CONKER
Light-heavyweight Conker also does well on courses where there is room to maneuver. Combine Conker's good top speed with decent acceleration and you have the makings of a good choice for the power courses.

TIMBER
My good buddy Timber is almost my twin when it comes to racing styles. We both have great handling and acceleration, but sacrifice a little top speed.

TIPTUP
Light drivers like Tiptup have excellent handling but very poor top speed. Grabbing bananas to increase top speed is a priority with Tiptup.

PIPSY
On courses with lots of sharp turns, Pipsy can't be beat. She can turn on a dime in the car or the plane, but in a hovercraft she's almost unmanageable. Like Tiptup, collecting bananas and hitting every zipper is essential to winning with Pipsy.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.