GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell: I'm stuck.."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/12/02 at 22:15
Regular
I've had it a whole 25 hours and I'm stuck already.

Ok, so in the Defence Ministry (I know, how crap am i..) after doing the glass lift microphone bit, i've entered a building through the window, and gone upstairs in a lift. Upstairs there are 2 glass doors with keypads, 1 covered by a camera, and a normal locked door leading into an office (been in, nothing interesting). So, where now? I can't find the codes for the doors, and there doesnt appear to be anywhere else to go...

Anyone?
Sun 05/01/03 at 12:38
Regular
On a less arguementative note, How the hell do I get past that 2nd turret?
Sat 04/01/03 at 23:47
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Hypocrit who critised the GameCube? Critised or just didn't want one
> because I thought the Xbox had better games? Did I touch a nerve
> their
> Wookie?
>
> I don't understand the question. What nerve could you touch regarding
> the Gamecube? I have one, and I enjoy it.

I meant by offending the PS2 and calling you a Fanboy...

> When ever anyone says anything about the PS2 you always reply with
> big
> posts or arguments that you won't ever let go!
>
> No, I don't let go because I believe in what I'm saying.

So do I but I am called a Fanboy by you because of it.
> As a console I think the PS2 is very poor and no matter how many
> times
> you try to convince me otherwise you will never succeed!
>
> And you will never have me believe that it IS poor. I don't need to
> convince you or anyone else, because millions already know. It's an
> age-old argument, but sales prove it. Initial sales can possibly be
> passed of as suckers falling for hype, but CONTINUED success is only
> ensured by a good product with good games. I don't need to tell you
> you're wrong, because the facts are there for all to see.

I am not trying to convince you that it is poor but everytime someone says something about it you jump in defending it. Don't get my on PS2 sales and GTA3...

> So what else would I want a PS2 for?
>
> GT3, Dropship, Ico, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Primal,
> Devil May Cry, The Getaway, AC4, Extermination, SOCOM: Navy Seals,
> Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness, GTA3, GTA Vice City, Resident Evil
> Network - and a host of other quality exclusive titles, spreading back
> to the launch of the machine, and into the next few years.

Completed GT3 when I had it and I prefer PGR. I also completed Devil May Cry when I got it last Christmas. Tomb Raider: AOD is on PC, GTA3 is on PC, GTA Vice City is coming to PC and Resident Evil Network is on the Cube and Xbox I believe. The rest I have played and didn't like (bar SOCOM which I have never played).

> of the 3 consoles and its sound qualitys can't even touch the Xbox
> and
> the Gamecube edges better with Pro Logic and Pro Logic 2 support.
>
> Since when was Pro Logic better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS? Not many
> games support it, that's true - but SSX Tricky demonstrates that the
> machine can do it - its exclusion is simply down to lazy developers.
> Just like the amount of sub-standard games released.

PS2 doesn't support 5.1 apart from the cut-scenes in MGS2 and as you say SSX Tricky. Thats my point though and you have summed it up in those two lines.

"machine can do it - its exclusion is simply down to lazy developers. Just like the amount of sub-standard games released"

This is my point, there is too much of this on the PS2 and after a while it became a real pain to get a game that I am hoping to be great and it eneding up yet another Lazy effort.

> You're so intent on hammering home the 'better' aspects of Xbox. For
> the millionth time - I KNOW that Xbox is technically a better machine.
> With a two-year advantage in technology, you'd bloody well expect it
> to be.

Yes and the games show it. Better graphics, smooth frame rates (although once again this is down to lazy developing and no the power on the console), better sounds (if you have a home cinema system).

> My entire point is that, despite its age, the PS2 stands up INCREDIBLY
> WELL in the face of the tech advantages that the competition has.
> You've already admitted that games can look every bit as attractive,
> and I - and many others - know that the games are every bit as much
> fun.

I would still say the Dreamcast was/is a better console ;) Just look at the Shenmue graphics to see what the Dreamcast can do. Thats not to mention the gameplay, Sega are pure genius! I do think the PS2 has some great looking games but there aren't enough...

> The reason that PS2 still does so well is that - apparently - it has
> the best and largest rane of games that appeal to the widest number of
> people. You never seem to understand that technical superiority
> generally DOES NOT MATTER, either to developers or the buying
> public.

Oh I agree 100% that technical superiority doesn't always sell consoles especailly with the younger generation of gamers. To me however it does, can you understand this as well though?

> Most developers don't care as long as they get their money; if they
> did, there wouldn't be as many poor games around - on all platforms.
> And the punters don't care either, as long as they enjoy their games.
> If system specs made an ounce of difference, the PSone wouldn't have
> been outselling GC and Xbox until recent months.

This is my point though, the PS2 has so many poor games that developers just seem to follow the rest and patch out yet another game full of non-sense. You have even admitted about all the rubbish on the PS2 but it is dragging down the gaming industry! Donold Duck games are the worst I have ever seen yet they are so popular on the PS2 in America and this is where the sales come from. If I was 6-7 I would probably them as well.

> What matters is the over-all package. You can rattle off
> multi-platform games as much as you like, but in my view - and the
> view of many others - PS2 is the only place you can experience those
> titles, and a host of other exclusives. Yes, the other platforms have
> exclusive titles - but again, it would seem that those titles don't
> have the general appeal of those on PS2. As for PC versions of GTA
> etc. - not everyone has the money to spend on a PC beefy enough to run
> them. Even if they have the money, not everyone needs or wants a
> PC.

PS2 exclusives are now beginning to appear else where and I aren't complaining but compared to the GameCube and Xbox I don't think it has the strength in depth to compete. I could say the same about Splinter Cell and Halo on the PC but the fact is it is there if you want it and this takes away the exclusive title from the PS2.

> And again, this is NOT fanboy talk - it's a statement of fact, borne
> out by global sales, not only in the run up to Christmas, but going
> back to early last year and the launch of Xbox and Gamecube. Despite
> massive advertising campaigns from Microsoft and Nintendo and
> practically NONE from Sony (bar The Getaway adverts), someone
> (SonicRav I think?) has already posted the information that PS2 'won'
> the Christmas sales by a country mile, again outstripping the combined
> sales of its rivals.

Once again GTA Vic City will have sold the majority of them along with kids going for the Disney games. Sales don't make a console good and the Dreamcast is a perfect example of how a great console was affected by poor sales. The GameCube and Xbox combined don't equal the PS2 sales but their games (in my opinion) are a lot better and they appeal to me more :)

> I am not anti-Xbox or anti-Gamecube. The games I have for them, I
> love. I was playing nothing but TimeSplitters 2 on Xbox and Eternal
> Darkness on Gamecube until Vice City and Ratchet & Clank arrived;
> then I played them until The Getaway arrived; and since Christmas Day,
> I've been playing nothing but Splinter Cell. Every one of them in my
> view is an outstanding game. At least I can say I've played them all
> and enjoyed them, whereas you are missing out on some cracking
> games.

TS2 is one of the worst FPS games I have ever played but that is a different story... I am getting Eternal Darkness on the Cube in the coming few weeks. Vice City I am going to get on the PC and the other 2 I aren't too bothered about. Splinter Cell is amazing though and the time I have spent playing it is credit to how good the game actually is.

> Of course, that may not be your opinion - but until you've sat down
> and played them all in depth, you'll never know - so you're in no
> position to criticise.

Agreed, but I have seen some running and I read reviews. The majority of good games I do eventually get to play. But as you say you can't comment until you have played them. Maybe you should remember that next time I give you some good Xbox games to try Instead of saying NO ;)

> But it's a simple fact that PS2 offers me more as a gamer. That's why
> I prefer it, and why I will of always defend it when I believe it is
> unfairly criticised - just as you do with Xbox.

But I am criticised for this and called a fanboy by you :) Can you see where I am coming from? I am doing the same thing that you do but you call me for it.
Sat 04/01/03 at 22:46
"High polygon count"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Hypocrit who critised the GameCube? Critised or just didn't want one
> because I thought the Xbox had better games? Did I touch a nerve their
> Wookie?

I don't understand the question. What nerve could you touch regarding the Gamecube? I have one, and I enjoy it.

> When ever anyone says anything about the PS2 you always reply with big
> posts or arguments that you won't ever let go!

No, I don't let go because I believe in what I'm saying.

> As a console I think the PS2 is very poor and no matter how many times
> you try to convince me otherwise you will never succeed!

And you will never have me believe that it IS poor. I don't need to convince you or anyone else, because millions already know. It's an age-old argument, but sales prove it. Initial sales can possibly be passed of as suckers falling for hype, but CONTINUED success is only ensured by a good product with good games. I don't need to tell you you're wrong, because the facts are there for all to see.

> So what else would I want a PS2 for?

GT3, Dropship, Ico, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Primal, Devil May Cry, The Getaway, AC4, Extermination, SOCOM: Navy Seals, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness, GTA3, GTA Vice City, Resident Evil Network - and a host of other quality exclusive titles, spreading back to the launch of the machine, and into the next few years.

> of the 3 consoles and its sound qualitys can't even touch the Xbox and
> the Gamecube edges better with Pro Logic and Pro Logic 2 support.

Since when was Pro Logic better than Dolby 5.1 and DTS? Not many games support it, that's true - but SSX Tricky demonstrates that the machine can do it - its exclusion is simply down to lazy developers. Just like the amount of sub-standard games released.

You're so intent on hammering home the 'better' aspects of Xbox. For the millionth time - I KNOW that Xbox is technically a better machine. With a two-year advantage in technology, you'd bloody well expect it to be.

My entire point is that, despite its age, the PS2 stands up INCREDIBLY WELL in the face of the tech advantages that the competition has. You've already admitted that games can look every bit as attractive, and I - and many others - know that the games are every bit as much fun.

The reason that PS2 still does so well is that - apparently - it has the best and largest rane of games that appeal to the widest number of people. You never seem to understand that technical superiority generally DOES NOT MATTER, either to developers or the buying public.

Most developers don't care as long as they get their money; if they did, there wouldn't be as many poor games around - on all platforms. And the punters don't care either, as long as they enjoy their games. If system specs made an ounce of difference, the PSone wouldn't have been outselling GC and Xbox until recent months.

What matters is the over-all package. You can rattle off multi-platform games as much as you like, but in my view - and the view of many others - PS2 is the only place you can experience those titles, and a host of other exclusives. Yes, the other platforms have exclusive titles - but again, it would seem that those titles don't have the general appeal of those on PS2. As for PC versions of GTA etc. - not everyone has the money to spend on a PC beefy enough to run them. Even if they have the money, not everyone needs or wants a PC.

And again, this is NOT fanboy talk - it's a statement of fact, borne out by global sales, not only in the run up to Christmas, but going back to early last year and the launch of Xbox and Gamecube. Despite massive advertising campaigns from Microsoft and Nintendo and practically NONE from Sony (bar The Getaway adverts), someone (SonicRav I think?) has already posted the information that PS2 'won' the Christmas sales by a country mile, again outstripping the combined sales of its rivals.

I am not anti-Xbox or anti-Gamecube. The games I have for them, I love. I was playing nothing but TimeSplitters 2 on Xbox and Eternal Darkness on Gamecube until Vice City and Ratchet & Clank arrived; then I played them until The Getaway arrived; and since Christmas Day, I've been playing nothing but Splinter Cell. Every one of them in my view is an outstanding game. At least I can say I've played them all and enjoyed them, whereas you are missing out on some cracking games.

Of course, that may not be your opinion - but until you've sat down and played them all in depth, you'll never know - so you're in no position to criticise.

But it's a simple fact that PS2 offers me more as a gamer. That's why I prefer it, and why I will of always defend it when I believe it is unfairly criticised - just as you do with Xbox.
Sat 04/01/03 at 22:40
Regular
"accidental superher"
i had the getaway...completed it pretty quickly and didn't think it was that great...i'd give it a 7/10 too like mav

things i don't like:

-indicator system to tell you where to go...should have just given a minimap thing like in gta.
-REALLY dodgy camera angles -should have been able to use the R3 stick to swivel camera around (therefore stealth missions were a bit of a nightmare sometimes)
-REALLY bad police AI
-some dodgy animations

i'm sure there are other things that annoyed me...but i returned it right after i completed it...so i haven't played it since.

graphics are alright...but not that spectacular at all.
driving was okay actually
story was GREAT and was what made me play it till the end
Sat 04/01/03 at 20:52
Regular
Hypocrit who critised the GameCube? Critised or just didn't want one because I thought the Xbox had better games? Did I touch a nerve their Wookie?

I have a PSONE with over 65 games and it was a great console. So what did I do I went and bought a PS2 like a fool thinking it would be the same but I was SO wrong. In the sense that I went and got a PS2 without thinking then yes I was stupid and I was a fool.

What other two machines would these be then? You mean the other machine, the PS2? That would be the only console that I don't own out the Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox. I have seen you call other people fanboys yet to be honest you are one yourself. When ever anyone says anything about the PS2 you always reply with big posts or arguments that you won't ever let go! As a console I think the PS2 is very poor and no matter how many times you try to convince me otherwise you will never succeed! I have been there, got the T-Shirt yet unfortunatley it cost me around £500 + by the time I had rented and purchased games. Wookie you can't tell me anything about the PS2 that I don't know, it has the greatest football game series EVER (which is now on the GameCube as well) and a great series with the GTA games (which I can purchase on the PC like I have with GTA3 and as I will with Vice City.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is on the Xbox, Driver is now moving multi-platform, the Resident Evil's are now Cube exclusive which is great because I am a huge fan and with Ninja Gaiden it doesn't look like I will miss the Devil May Cry series at all! So what else would I want a PS2 for? It has the worst version of multi-platform games out of the 3 consoles and its sound qualitys can't even touch the Xbox and the Gamecube edges better with Pro Logic and Pro Logic 2 support. Whether or not you have a 5.1 Surround Sound system or not is nothing that I care about so don't reply that not many do or you don't want one because that is fine, but I along with a lot of gamers DO!

Worts Multi-Platform games (have you actually see how bad Ghost Recon is on the PS2? I saw it running in GAME and it looked a totally different game), Far too many mediocre releases as a ratio to great games, the weakest sound capabilities and a positively POOR DVD playback which Sony should have changed after the first complaints were logged back when the console was launched.

With my GameCube and Xbox what PS2 games am I missing out on that I can't buy on either PC or my other 2 consoles? Please just answer this question for me so that I know what quality games I am going to be missing out on that I won't find anywhere else. As far as I am concerned I felt cheated by Sony especailly after supporting them VERY well with PSONE purchases and praising it every where that I could.

I used to say that the argument about sales was due to the GTA series was a load of rubbish but listening to people in my local GAME shop and people talking at school I realise that there is truth in it. People buy a PS2 to play the GTA games yet now they on PC there is no need to. The first game people pick up is GTA3 and so they should as it is an amazing game, but apart from that I never hear ANYONE at school or in GAME talking about anything other than the GTA games. I was the same when I got my PS2, I played GTA3 for about 4 months none stop and I must have clocked over 250 hours playing that game and getting 100% on it, but once it was finished (along with Code Veronica X) I couldn't wait to sell my PS2.

Before you go through trying to pick holes in what I am saying just think about what I have put and the truth behind it. GTA3 is amazing and it SHOULD sell PS2's just to play that game, but aside from that and any GTA games which follow it I can't honestly see the PS2 as valuble console and thats in any market, in the current market personally (aside from GTA3) I wouldn't give it a second thought!

Oh and what I do with my money is my business, if I want to buy a GameCube to play its exclusives I will. If I want to say I don't want one for six months I will. There is nothing wrong with admitting you are wrong and with the GameCube I was wrong, it is a great console that I have BIG aspirations for.
Sat 04/01/03 at 20:32
Regular
Everyone beleives you are a fnaboy though Wookie with some of the "Pro Sony" posts you do.

There is quite a few good games on the PS2, The best game on the console has to be Stuntman, Best PS2 game ever.
Sat 04/01/03 at 20:05
"High polygon count"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> One of the two fanboys? Who would they be then? To be honest I think
> the biggest fanboy is the accuser especailly when it comes down to
> Sony and the PS2, they can't do a thing wrong ;)

Fanboy? No, not at all. Why would I see Sony as doing much wrong, when they have given me two great consoles and a stack of quality games?

I do have a loyalty to Sony, but with better reasons than "the most powerful console" or "prettier games". I had no loyalty to any console company before my original PlayStation because I'd never owned a console before. When I was growing up, consoles were for kids - I always had computers, and was a Commodore fan.

I saw Panzer Dragoon on the Saturn, went to buy one, but was turned by Wipeout on the PS1. Bought one, and never looked back. I have a loyalty to Sony because as far as I'm concerned, they've earned it with quality machines and software since 1996 when I first got into console gaming. For me, they deliver - constantly.

I like pretty graphics as much as anyone, but they don't catch me like a rabbit in the headlights - I still value gameplay above all else, and I can live with the odd graphical glitch, the odd bit of slowdown - even a complete lack of anti-aliasing etc. - as long as the gameplay is fun.

I'm not the one launching attacks on the other two machines at every opportunity. I'm not the hypocrite who's been slating the Gamecube for the last 6 months, only to go and buy one and start talking about the great games it's got. And I'm not the fool who tries to convince himself that PS2 only has 2 good games every year.

I'm a true gamer, with a preference, who knows that to get the best of everything, I need to own all three machines, even if - for me - the worthwhile games are slow arriving on two of them.

So no - not a fanboy at all.
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:34
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> 1. The cars. They're just not right. Some are amazingly slow, and
> though that may be realistic, they could have refined it a bit to make
> it fun. The handling is really poorly done, being far to sensitive and
> hard to control. Then the cars get smashed up really easily.

I totally Agree.
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:33
"High polygon count"
gamezfreak wrote:
> He walks dodgey

Agreed, the walking is odd at times - particularly on stairs. But it is supposedly motion-captured, so...

> The animation is'nt fluent and i've "fell" through the ground on
> numerous occasions.

That I can't understand, as it has never happened to me. Everything is solid and believable, and I've had no glitches at all.

> Ok, i've only played the first few missions on the game but still I
> found it highly medicore,

Well, as you say - that is only your opinion. I thoroughly enjoy it, and judging by the fact that you can't get a copy anywhere in Northampton (my mate's been trying since 20th December), so do many others.

> Getting in a Nissan Sunny (Yes I know, a granny car) and attempting to
> speed down the road is so slow, The game just does'nt give any sense
> of speed.

I'm not surprised. But like I said, get a better car, and the speed is fine; with the amount of traffic, anything quicker would make it unplayable. The majority are supposed to be standard road cars, not racing machines. Lexus, TVR, Lotus, Skyline - or the police cars - all shift.

There are some missed opportunities in the game, and it's not everything it could have been - but it's still a great title.

> Give me GTA3:VC anyday.

There's no such game!
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:33
Regular
My reasons for disliking The Getaway:

1. The cars. They're just not right. Some are amazingly slow, and though that may be realistic, they could have refined it a bit to make it fun. The handling is really poorly done, being far to sensitive and hard to control. Then the cars get smashed up really easily.

2. The camera. Very annoying.

3. You die far too easily.

4. There's no sprint mode, or way of regaining health quickly.

5. The missions are just boring.

There are more, but I can't be bothered to list them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.