GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy XI is DOOMED to fail"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/02/02 at 18:02
Regular
Why?

Well, assuming you want to play this game, and you already have PS2, you HAVE to buy the following:

GAME
MODEM
HARD DRIVE
KEYBOARD
SUBSCRIPTION to PlayOnline.

How many people outside Japan perhaps will bother. I was slightly annoyed I have to buy an expansion pack for some 64 game, but this game's requirments are obscene!

Sonic
Mon 04/02/02 at 10:43
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Belldandy, I highly suggest you read my FOG prime topic on "the return of add ons".

I do admit that cheat add ons- like the 64 expansion pack and Xbox remote control- have done well. However, anything more expensive will not be bought by casual gamers unless it is HUGELY required for a whole host of games.

The modem will probably take off because quite a few games will have online options. The HDD, however, will not take off because I know of only one game that needs it. Because it won't take off, few developers will support it, meaning less people will buy it...

It's the chicken and the egg. To get hardware supported you need to guarantee a user base. To guarantee a user base you need to have the hardware supported well....

Sonic
Sun 03/02/02 at 21:41
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
So obviously Sony's task is to get games developed so that the HDD becomes an essential add on ?

If the games that utilise it are so great then people will want it. One of the X Box's selling points is it's included HDD isn't it ? But the price difference of £100 is basically the cost of the HDD, yet people are oging ot pay £300 because they know it is going to include the additional hardware. By the time the HDD and modem launch then the Playstation 2 should be £170, maybe £150. I'd say it is a pretty good certainty that between now and the X Box launch you are going to see a price drop, Sony are undoubtedly waiting to let retailers restock before doing this.

I mean, no one is going to force any one to buy these peripherals so whats all the fuss for anyway ? Just because some people don't want them is no reason not to bother is it ? Personally I can't wait for FFXI, though my heart is mroe set on FFX at the moment...not long now :)
Sun 03/02/02 at 21:28
My thoughts exactly ortega! The only reason sony sold loads of memory cards was becasue everyone needed one - not the fact that it was such a good 'add on'.
Sun 03/02/02 at 21:23
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Sonic, not every add on has failed. Without sounding too pro Sony I'd like to
> point ot Sony's succesful DVD remote with its upgrade CD, plus memory cards for
> the Playstation 2 were nearly sold out everywhere before and after Christmas.

You cant compare somthin like a memory card to all these extras you will need to play one game.

THe memoery card is basically an essential. You need one to save your progress, everybody that buys a PS2 will buy an memory card. Plus memory card is only £25, all these extras to play FFXI will add up to over £100.
Sun 03/02/02 at 21:16
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Sonic, not every add on has failed. Without sounding too pro Sony I'd like to point ot Sony's succesful DVD remote with its upgrade CD, plus memory cards for the Playstation 2 were nearly sold out everywhere before and after Christmas. In the past the main failures have been SEGA orientated - such gems :) as the Mega CD, the plug in thingy (poor memory :) ) and the hilarious menacer light gun. If there is more than just FFXI that supports the HDD and modem then many users will buy these add ons. They are not targeted at the casual gamer, loads of people will moan about the price but they'll still buy them. no compnay in the entertainment business is targeting "casual" customers, they want the people who spend money, buy the products and keep on buying. I feel another point has to be that, even if the UK doesnt see great sales of these peripheral it is a foregone conclusion that they will, indeed are, selling in the States and Japan - the markets that matter. The UK gaming communities will just, as usual, be left behind as everyone else joins in the fun.

Oh, one last thing I wanted to point out... there is an awful lot of people buying USB modems just to
play Tony Hawks online, I think thats an indicator of things to come maybe ?
Sun 03/02/02 at 18:24
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'll probably buy the stuff cause I like online gaming. I had the Dreamcast - which finally fizzed out on me oneday for some reason :-( I used to love playing Phantasy Star Online so Final Fantasy 11 really interests me.

Of course the interest kinda turns to bitterness when I think of us mugs paying for the benefit while others can just plug in and play online for nothing. Think its disgusting how we're treated here when it comes to things like that. Think it was in PSW that I read about us getting the online capabilities first or something - like we're supposed to be really thankful about this.

Its pretty insulting really. So does this mean we're going to start getting a few games before America and Japan ? Didn't think so.

Its ashame though cause games such as final fantasy are great to have online as you can meet so many people and stuff. Thats one thing I hated about playing Phantasy Star Online - the fact I either had one eye on the clock, or I'd play and come off eventually thinking "god I don't want that phone bill when it comes in !".
Sun 03/02/02 at 18:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Blank wrote:
> But then again the Dreamcast came internet ready and look where that is now...

what has that got to do with ANYTHING???

Sonic
Sun 03/02/02 at 17:58
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
But then again the Dreamcast came internet ready and look where that is now...
Sun 03/02/02 at 17:53
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Belldandy, I think you really overestimate the strength of the market...

Fact is that casual gamers aren't ahppy buying a multitap, let alone a HDD, MODEM, KEYBOARD and a game all at once.

The modem will probably take off... but the HDD? It has no other uses except storing things form online.

If you want my full argument, go to the FOG PRIME room, and read my post on "the return of add ons"... every other add on in history has failed you know!

Sonic
Sun 03/02/02 at 17:46
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
But FFX and FFXI are two different beasts altogether. FFXI is completely online, whereas FFX isn't online. They have completely different battle systems. FFXI has a job system, FFX doesn't. FFXI cannot be judged by what you have seen of FFX, indeed the graphics are actually worse on FFXI, you can probably work out why yourself.

And I'm pretty sure that the HDD will cost more than £150. They are releasing smaller memory ones later, but not straight away. I thought it was somewhere in the region of £250.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.