GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy XI is DOOMED to fail"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/02/02 at 18:02
Regular
Why?

Well, assuming you want to play this game, and you already have PS2, you HAVE to buy the following:

GAME
MODEM
HARD DRIVE
KEYBOARD
SUBSCRIPTION to PlayOnline.

How many people outside Japan perhaps will bother. I was slightly annoyed I have to buy an expansion pack for some 64 game, but this game's requirments are obscene!

Sonic
Mon 04/02/02 at 15:02
"©opy Right™"
WHY?
Mon 04/02/02 at 15:01
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Bleeders wrote:
Yeah, but the PC demographic audience is
> vastly different to that of the console audience, which is predominantly built
> up of casual gamers.

I don't think so ! Casual gamer's is really a term that doesnt exist anymore. It comes down to those gamers willing to pend money and those that aren't. The ones which will spend are the audience everyone is after.

>The Dreamcast offered the Internet out
> of the box, what makes Sony's plight any different? Yes, they've got the bigger
> user-base, but why would Joe Public want to buy the Modem.

Erm...maybe "Joe Public" would like to use the Internet without paying for a £500 minimum PC ? £30 for a modem is pretty good compared to decent PC ones.

>Sorry if I'm
> reading between the lines on this one, but by that logic, you could say it was
> smart of Sony not to implement 4 controller ports just to sell multi-taps?
> Especially since 95% of the next-gen consoles come with 4 ports as
> standard.

66.6% actually ! Lol (sad I know) Gamecube and X Box have 4 ports, but I'd say every user of Playstation 2 has at some time used the DVD hardware, now has every user wanted to play a 4 player game ? nope, and the number of games that support it are low, plus hte picture is urbbish because unless you've got a 48" tv its national squintathon time, unless you all sit with your faces to the tv ! So yes, it is smart as why should the majority of users pay for something they aren't going to need. Often a mutlitap is something you buy with 3 other people you know anyway. Besides Gamecube has no DVD ability, costs £50 less and has 4player, and X Box costs £100 more anyway, no DVD ability straight away and 4 player....whilst the Playstation 2 has DVD, no 4player but 12.99 multitaps, for £199.99.
Mon 04/02/02 at 14:48
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Belldandy wrote:
> Sonic, I've read your other forum topic and I don't buy it, you are singling
> Sony out for undue criticism...you've got an X Box or Gamecube on order I guess
> :) lol

Anyway the PC market has had add ons since it began. That's survived
> because games were brought out that were good and needed the hardware.

Yeah, but the PC demographic audience is vastly different to that of the console audience, which is predominantly built up of casual gamers.

It's the casual gamer that has to be convinced. Do you honestly see Joe Public lashing out £150 for both the Hard-Disk and Modem?

The same
> will be ture for the Playstation add ons, and you do not necessarily need tons
> of games for the HDD as it's going to be useful for the Internet features
> anyway.

The Dreamcast offered the Internet out of the box, what makes Sony's plight any different? Yes, they've got the bigger user-base, but why would Joe Public want to buy the Modem.

It comes down to the fact that, in the near future, for £330
> someone can buy a Playstation 2, HDD, and modem, which will still be better than
> the X Box. Yes, theX box does have all these features...apart from out of the
> box DVD (nice little trick to get those DVD remotes sold eh Microsoft?)

Sorry if I'm reading between the lines on this one, but by that logic, you could say it was smart of Sony not to implement 4 controller ports just to sell multi-taps? Especially since 95% of the next-gen consoles come with 4 ports as standard.

but if
> one of the many components fails then you'v got a £330 box of junk after 1
> year, unless Microsoft change their returns policy.
Anyone who has tried to
> return any hardware to Microsoft outside of the 1 year guarantee will probably
> back me up on this. Its near impossible, and covered by so many
> "administration fees", "shipping fees" e.t.c that it's
> cheaper to just buy a new one.

I saw earlier, in another topic, about the
> Sale of Goods act thing you were on about and I think you've got it interpreted
> a bit biasedly (is that a word ?!) you can return stuff if it is faulty, but not
> if the fault is from "reasonable use" - this is determined by the
> manufacturer, not the customer. Threatening to take stores to the small claims
> court is nice, but most shops, and certainly the chain I work for, will happily
> take you to court safe in the knowledge that their legal team will blast you out
> of the water, metaphorically speaking ! Of course if you live in a houseboat and
> they really do blow you out of the water then you've probably go a pretty good
> claims case there :)
Mon 04/02/02 at 14:20
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Sonic, I've read your other forum topic and I don't buy it, you are singling Sony out for undue criticism...you've got an X Box or Gamecube on order I guess :) lol Anyway the PC market has had add ons since it began. That's survived because games were brought out that were good and needed the hardware. The same will be ture for the Playstation add ons, and you do not necessarily need tons of games for the HDD as it's going to be useful for the Internet features anyway. It comes down to the fact that, in the near future, for £330 someone can buy a Playstation 2, HDD, and modem, which will still be better than the X Box. Yes, theX box does have all these features...apart from out of the box DVD (nice little trick to get those DVD remotes sold eh Microsoft?) but if one of the many components fails then you'v got a £330 box of junk after 1 year, unless Microsoft change their returns policy. Anyone who has tried to return any hardware to Microsoft outside of the 1 year guarantee will probably back me up on this. Its near impossible, and covered by so many "administration fees", "shipping fees" e.t.c that it's cheaper to just buy a new one.

I saw earlier, in another topic, about the Sale of Goods act thing you were on about and I think you've got it interpreted a bit biasedly (is that a word ?!) you can return stuff if it is faulty, but not if the fault is from "reasonable use" - this is determined by the manufacturer, not the customer. Threatening to take stores to the small claims court is nice, but most shops, and certainly the chain I work for, will happily take you to court safe in the knowledge that their legal team will blast you out of the water, metaphorically speaking ! Of course if you live in a houseboat and they really do blow you out of the water then you've probably go a pretty good claims case there :)
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Kid Rock wrote:
> I heard you can dial up with your normal internet

Indeed you can (THPS3) but there's dial up costs, buying the hardware and call charges...
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:13
Regular
I heard you can dial up with your normal internet
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:12
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Subscription for CONSOLE gaming... one of the whole point of consoles is that
> there are no running fees- like upgrading, buying add ons and
> subscriptions!

Sonic

Your subscribing to the service as you would with Sky etc so you are paying for the supply of the dedicated network/Service. As Sony's plans go beyond just supplying the ability to play online (such as Game downloads, Streaming movies and even TV channels) and the hardware is rumoured to come as it wouild if you took out a SKY TV subscription allowing you to keep it after a year...

It makes sense and seems to be the cheapest option...
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:10
Regular
"WWJD"
With the modem will you be able to dial up on your normal internet No.? i would think you could
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Subscription for CONSOLE gaming... one of the whole point of consoles is that there are no running fees- like upgrading, buying add ons and subscriptions!

Sonic
Mon 04/02/02 at 11:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Belldandy wrote:
> By the time the HDD and modem launch then the Playstation 2 should be £170, maybe £150. I'd say it is a pretty good certainty that between now and the X Box launch you are going to see a price drop, Sony are undoubtedly waiting to let retailers restock before doing this.

1) If your quick of the mark like my self, for £150 you get the HDD (40GB), network adapter, keyboard, mouse, Monitor leads and the Linux OS...

2) If not... BT Open World and TeleWest will be providing the online access for the PS2 as of this summer (if trails in Manchester go well) and rumor has it that it will be a monthly subscription wich wil include all of the hardware needed (same as SKY TV and the current system in Japan).

SOny have spent a lot of time planning this for the UK and from everything I've read and heard, it could be quite successful if they get the pricing right.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.