GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Achhhh, another pop @ PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/01/02 at 20:22
Regular
Ohhhh, the single mindedness of PlayStation fans, it makes me sick. I'm not saying that there aren't Ninty and - god damn them - Pokemon fans, but I'm really starting to resent PlayStation - holics.

Example - "The PS2 is the best console of the next generation"
"No it isn't, it has the worst technology and some aspects are quite flawed."
"Yeah, but it has better games."
"Name some."
"SSX Tricky, Tony Hawks 3..."
"On GC and Xbox, on GC and Xbox..."
"But the GameCube and Xbox don't have good games"
"Halo, Smash Bros., Unreal Championship, Star Wars Rogue Leader..."
"But the PS2 is best."

Oh dear. It seems that people get into the wrong frame of mind. "PS2 is best, and nothing else is good". Definitely the wrong frame of mind. In the next-gen console race, Nintendo has got a great console which isn't held back by complicated architecture, high costs and obsessive anti-aliasing, and the Xbox is everything the PS2 is with that expensive Microsoft upgrade. Looks like this is one race that Sony can't win...

Or can they? Despite being less of a console than the others, Sony have such a massive fan base, and such a massive head start on the competition, that it may just end up to be like the previous console race.

The PlayStation was the technologically inferior console, yet by having such a massive base of cheap, fun games, became a massively popular hit. The N64 had much greater visuals, but because of that unjustified and biased view that Nintendo is 'just for kids', sold appallingly, coupled with the extreme prices. £65 for an N64 game anyone? Nah, everyone with both consoles will go for 2 PlayStation games anyday.

However, the Dreamcast was really good, and had all the qualities that made the PlayStation great. However, it arrived 4 years too late, and by this time Sony had established its multi-million fan base and had managed to dissuade all potential consumers away from Sega's really nice machine. Result? We all know it.
(PS. Now is the time to snap up a cheap Dreamcast. £70 for a DC and 2 games? Ridiculously cheap. Buy now!)

And it is entirely possible that the same will happen to Nintendo and Microsoft if they don't pull their act together. The PlayStation 2 was, and still is, a much, MUCH broadcasted console. Ask an adult in a shopping mall, and chances are that they have heard of the PS2, if not actually have one in their home. It is totally the opposite in the case of Nintendo and the GameCube. Some people know of the Xbox, but the GameCube? Nope.

A wise move by Nintendo was to advertise the GameCube on the back of the GameBoy Advance box. A+ for Nintendo, as the GBA is one of the fastest selling consoles ever. In fact, if it wasn't for the GameBoy, Pocket and Colour, Nintendo would probably be sharing its grave with Sega.

What is wrong with all of this, is that Sony don't deserve the staggering profits they make. They don't have any good in-house games, and put ridiculous prices on add-ons. Nintendo, while infamous for delays, make great games, with a passion, and always deliver something fun, innovative and truly great. Microsoft have got the heart for the console business. True, in essence they are only in it for the money, but even so, they have got all the backing needed to keep a hydroelectic dam stable, and trust me, thats a lot.

My last point to make, is that Sony does need to pull its act together. There are a very small amount of great games around on the PS2, no true must-haves, whereas the competition have must-have titles available from day 1. Many of the PS2's games are not PS2-only, and exclusive is the wrong word to describe it.
Exclusive = first, not, as many people are fooled by false advertising, 'only on that console'.

The PlayStation 2 is a great console for variety and price.
The GameCube is a great console for quality and price.
The Xbox is a great console for variety and quality.

From every angle, it is a win-win situation, yet many-a-person go for the PS2, merely because of advertisement. For the next-gen race, public awareness is everything. This isn't meant as a rip on the PS2, but it is just showing how Sony has played its cards right up until now, and how not to play the gaming game.

My advice to everyone wanting a new console:

Buy everything. That way you'll have a non-biased view, and can experience all great things gaming.

Remember: You only dis what you don't have. The DC is great, albeit with a massive anti-DC following.

Go on, its gaming, and gaming is great. Have fun with your next gen consoles, and do a little research into what you're buying. Don't fall under the rock-slide of Sony advertising, buy what YOU want, not what they do.

Have fun...
Fri 01/02/02 at 19:02
Regular
"I like cheese"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> PS2 smells, end of discussion I win.

Tilta's most intellectual comment ever.
Fri 01/02/02 at 17:51
Regular
smash irony wiv face
Fri 01/02/02 at 17:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Don't forget we still have Mikami's new project, Devil May Cry - which rocks much harder than any of the Resi games (IMHO).
Fri 01/02/02 at 16:29
Regular
"¬_¬"
Tiltawhirl wrote:

and me, and me :D

Oh, and the PS2 does still have a Resi game coming out. But its in the stinky for of 'Survivor' Talk about bad franchise god pear shaped...
Fri 01/02/02 at 08:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Dringo wrote:
a few hickups on the PS2 such as loss of capcom

Sony havent loss Capcom. The Resident Evil licsence is a GC one now. But Sony still have the new Onimusha 2 coming out, plus any other games they want to make. Its just PS2 wont get another Resident Evil game untill the 6 game deal between Nintendo and Capcom is finished. The 6 game deal already includes Resident Evil 1-3 and Code Veronica. So the only 2 new games will be 0 and 4.
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:51
Tiltawhirl wrote:

sorry to be the first one to tell you this but its actually you.
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:50
sounds like a conspiracy financed by the likes of ms and nintendo, to reduce the sales of mgs2.
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:49
Regular
PS2 smells, end of discussion I win.
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, I didn;t say it was crap. I said it was stupid. Which it is. The length of a game is a massive factor in how good it is, Nintendo's policy is just insane (and a bit false, I reckon).

When you start making interesting topics I'll read them. What I won't read is the same old stuff about length of games and how "crap", or maybe "not crap" the PS2/GameCube/Xbox is, unless they have a new point to make. Which neither of these do.
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:38
Regular
Some people are purposly trying to bad mouth games like MGS2. Sure, to live up to the title of the most hyped game of all time is a big feat, probably never gonna happen. But we are getting very close with MGS2. I was a hater, I hated MGS, but after playing the MGS2 demo I have come to think this game is amazing. I cant believe some reviews have been as low as 77%. Okay, that is the view of only one magazine, but its gotta be by some biased anti-sony reviewer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.