GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another Xbox Live question- bit different tho"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 00:33
Regular
Might just be a load of bull, but my dad says it was on TV that a piece of software has been developed that allows any modem to work 5 times faster than was currently thought possible. So 56 K modems with the software can reach around 250K.

Would that be fast enough to work on Xbox live? And if not should Ms not allows people witht he software to use Xbox Live? I mean, it would be alot less hastle to get the software than getting Broadband and the increased costs.

That is- if the software exists. Anyone know anymore about it?

PS- Its getting way to quiet in here.
Sun 12/01/03 at 02:54
"Why Drunk Cow?"
When the world ends it will be inhabited by elves. But these elves will be 1' tall and look like Jerry Springer. Then several creatures that look like Gollem from lord of the rings will fight them. But they will be lead by humans or atleast they look like humans but their really gremlins. But as soon as the Gollem like creatures find out their actually gremlins they'll squash them. But that won't be the last of the gremlins, oh no they'll go to the elves and help them. And as soon as the war is over between the Gollem like creatures and the elves then the elves will live in harmony until giant radioactive rats come and try to take over in "The end of the world part 2"
Sun 12/01/03 at 03:09
"Why Drunk Cow?"
When the world ends it will be inhabited by elves. But these elves will be 1' tall and look like Jerry Springer. Then several creatures that look like Gollem from lord of the rings will fight them. But they will be lead by humans or atleast they look like humans but their really gremlins. But as soon as the Gollem like creatures find out their actually gremlins they'll squash them. But that won't be the last of the gremlins, oh no they'll go to the elves and help them. And as soon as the war is over between the Gollem like creatures and the elves then the elves will live in harmony until giant radioactive rats come and try to take over in "The end of the world part 2"
Sun 12/01/03 at 03:11
"Why Drunk Cow?"
Sun 12/01/03 at 03:12
"Why Drunk Cow?"
Sun 12/01/03 at 03:14
"Why Drunk Cow?"
Sun 12/01/03 at 03:18
"Why Drunk Cow?"
Sun 12/01/03 at 03:28
"Why Drunk Cow?"
My end of the world story doesnt work so dont click it cuz its a waste of time
Sun 12/01/03 at 03:43
"Why Drunk Cow?"
Have you ever looked up at the stars and wondered who you are or why you were put here and not somewhere else?Well if you havent try it sometimes cuz you might realize the answer. But if you choose not to then you should know the answer is................................. the stars. Thats right the stars. The stars are the reason youre here and they can tell you that youre just another star. Let me explain....... you are here cuz the stars are what make up the galaxy and they put you here cuz if you were on Mars you couldn't live and anywhere else period. And you are just another star because.... well this explanation may take a while so get comfy...................................you are just anohter star because there are millions of stars just like there are millions of humans so were kinda like stars cuz we grow and expire just like stars and we get bigger or smaller just like stars so point is were not so different from stars. And you know how many stars form constellations well many people form nations.Well thanx for reading Stars by: Billy Bob Johagan
Bye y'all and remember were all like stars
Sun 12/01/03 at 10:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mantis wrote:
> Might just be a load of bull, but my dad says it was on TV that a
> piece of software has been developed that allows any modem to work 5
> times faster than was currently thought possible. So 56 K modems with
> the software can reach around 250K.
>
> Would that be fast enough to work on Xbox live? And if not should Ms
> not allows people witht he software to use Xbox Live? I mean, it
> would be alot less hastle to get the software than getting Broadband
> and the increased costs.

I doubt it would work seeing as a 56K modem can only really work at that speed. If all the data was compressed and then uncompressed then maybe, but your upload may be still slow. I remember when I had downloaded some Fake files from Kazaa that were just blank movie files I could get 40k/s !!!! off a 56k modem. The compression rate of it all was 99% so you can see why I had such a fast speed.

Alot of these products offer fast speeds, but only offer them for web browsing. The product connects you to there server where they have a massive cache of all pages viewed by other people. So when pages that are on the server are requested they get to you faster.

Another issue with XBox Live is the ping. With a 56K modem you will suffer with bad ping compared to ADSL or cable.

Physically a 56K modem can only transfer at that speed, even less. Not alot of people can say they connect at 56,000, I use to get 48,000 which was pretty good. Compression is the only way to get high speeds. I dont know how I managed to get 40k/s but it was mostly compression as the file was blank. Any other file would download at the normal 4.5-5k/s.

If you really want to get XBox Live then you will need to get broadband, if the software really does offer 5 times the speed for every thing like file downloading and playing online games then you could try it. Broadband is cheap enough now anyway, some ADSL companies offer it for £20 a month, and considering some Free ISP dial up services can cost £12 or so this is pretty good for a service which is probably 12 times faster than a 56K.
Sun 12/01/03 at 10:17
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Coz I'm a lazy kind of guy, I thought it'd be good my health if you lot came up with all the junk that should go in my new PC. I decided to take the plunge the other day, after realising there are so many amazing FPSs on the horizon that I just HAVE to have.
Trouble is, I reckon my weedy Duron 825, 384mb RAM and Geforce2 MX will have GREAT difficulties even thinking about them! So, it's time for a massive upgrade! My budget is £1500 (the wonders of saving) and I plan to keep my combo DVD/CD-RW drive, CD drive, keyboard and mouse.

Well what are you waiting for?! What is the most powerful system I can build for this kind of money?

Oh yeah, and don't worry about sound, coz I'm quite happy with my SB512/headphones setup. Might keep my 17inch monitor aswell. :/

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.