GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo: the year it fights back"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/01/02 at 00:12
Regular
Quite frankly I cant see PS2 gaining a lead throughout 2002.
Nor can I see the XBOX swelling to the front.
Nintendo will naturally bounce back with a vengence.

Sadly for Sony this is Nintendo's year and years there after.
Roll on Spring, I can't wait.
Tue 01/01/02 at 21:27
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Those statistics then:
>

------------------------------------------------

Note: All data according
> to a comprehensive, multi-format and unbiased news site.

I searched a reviews
> website for games that scored above 80% on both the N64 and PSone. The search
> returned:

67 N64 games, ranging from Zelda: OOT to X-Men: Mutant
> academy.
152 PSone games, ranging from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to Brave Fenser
> Musashi.

So there were 85 more good games on the PSone. Even if you have a
> higher opinion of a good game, there are still:

13 N64 games ranging from
> Zelda: OOT to Turok 2.
23 PSone games ranging from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to
> Winning Eleven 4.

Scoring 90% or more.

So, make of this what you wish, but
> I think next time someone says that Nintendo games are better, they should think
> carefully first.

Turbo, when these games were rated, the site didn't compare them between consoles.
A PSOne game was rated based on the PSOne's capabilities, the N64 games based on the N64's capabilties.

CVG is unbiased and is the UK's oldest games mag around.
They did the all time top 100 games, a quarter of which being Nintendo and Rare's.
What's more, the top 3 were Zelda 64, Mario 64 and Goldeneye.

And it DID take PS2 and Dreamcast games into consideration.

And as for statistics, ANYONE can find a set of statistics and make them prove their point.
Tue 01/01/02 at 21:12
Regular
Wow Deja vu!
Tue 01/01/02 at 21:09
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Those statistics then:
>

Note: All data according
> to a comprehensive, multi-format and unbiased news site.

I searched a reviews
> website for games that scored above 80% on both the N64 and PSone. The search
> returned:

67 N64 games, ranging from Zelda: OOT to X-Men: Mutant
> academy.
152 PSone games, ranging from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to Brave Fenser
> Musashi.

So there were 85 more good games on the PSone. Even if you have a
> higher opinion of a good game, there are still:

13 N64 games ranging from
> Zelda: OOT to Turok 2.
23 PSone games ranging from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to
> Winning Eleven 4.

Scoring 90% or more.

So, make of this what you wish, but
> I think next time someone says that Nintendo games are better, they should think
> carefully first.

Yep think very carefully lets see i have a PS2 i have (ok my brother but i play on it) 12 games for it bored me to tears went and played N64 with classic games. LOL sorry TBN just because a website thinks Sony is better is there any reason to base the fact Sony are better quite frankly 3rd party games are no where near the standards set by Nintendo and Rare and are a long way from doing so.

The site
> was http://www.gamerankings.com. This was a post I made ages ago and even Grix
> agreed it was sound.

Also, I've said this a thousand and one times but if I
> must drum it into your thick skull one more time so be it:

THE DVD PLAYER
> ADDS NO COST THE PS2 WHAT SO EVER AND IS ONLY THERE BECAUSE THE PS2 USES THE DVD
> FORMAT AS ITS STANDARD MEDIA. NOT TO PUT A DVD PLAYER IN WOULD BE STUPID

Got
> it now?

Ok which is why Panasonic was in talks with Sony after the rumoured drop to £150 because Panasonic doesn't like the PS2 dictating the price of DVD players. I do not mean it requires extra programming just that it is in two markets now if the PS2 dropped to PS1 price now it might cause havoc for the DVD market who wants to get a £200 DVD player when you can get a PS2?
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Wow. Triple posting, that's a first. I blame the tab button being so near the "Q" key.
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The MPEG decoding "innards" is built into and part of the Emotion Engine CPU. It's supposed to be an enhancement, to allow high quality CG movies to be played with no extra strain. However, it goes much further than that. It can be used in games to, say, show moving video and textures on polygons during gameplay. That means non of the crappy, low-res 2fps animations you used to see, but proper high quality and realistic framerates with almost no load on the processor. You'd be surprised how many games use this technique, to very good effect.
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The MPEG decoding "innards" is built into and part of the Emotion Engine CPU. It's supposed to be an enhancement, to allow high quality CG movies to be played with no extra strain. However, it goes much further than that. It can be used in games to, say, show moving video and textures on polygons during gameplay. That means non of the crappy, low-res 2fps animations you used to see, but proper high quality and realistic framerates with almost no load on the processor. You'd be surprised how many games use this techni
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
The means to have an MPEG format decoding in the innards of the PS2(DVD) 'upped' the price. Naturally.
This is evident with the XBOX being a DVD Format machine it CANT Play DVD's from the word go. You've to get the necessary equipment to do so.
Tue 01/01/02 at 20:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Those statistics then:

Note: All data according to a comprehensive, multi-format and unbiased news site.

I searched a reviews website for games that scored above 80% on both the N64 and PSone. The search returned:

67 N64 games, ranging from Zelda: OOT to X-Men: Mutant academy.
152 PSone games, ranging from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to Brave Fenser Musashi.

So there were 85 more good games on the PSone. Even if you have a higher opinion of a good game, there are still:

13 N64 games ranging from Zelda: OOT to Turok 2.
23 PSone games ranging from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to Winning Eleven 4.

Scoring 90% or more.

So, make of this what you wish, but I think next time someone says that Nintendo games are better, they should think carefully first.

The site was http://www.gamerankings.com. This was a post I made ages ago and even Grix agreed it was sound.

Also, I've said this a thousand and one times but if I must drum it into your thick skull one more time so be it:

THE DVD PLAYER ADDS NO COST THE PS2 WHAT SO EVER AND IS ONLY THERE BECAUSE THE PS2 USES THE DVD FORMAT AS ITS STANDARD MEDIA. NOT TO PUT A DVD PLAYER IN WOULD BE STUPID

Got it now?
Tue 01/01/02 at 19:52
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Sure it's a console, but its price and power is such that it can't be compared
> to a PS2, Xbox or GameCube.

Not in the future the good news for you is TBN in thte next 20 + years all you will see as Nintendo is handhelds. That is where the company belive the future is.

And Grix is right damn right... GBC's Pokemon to Pokemon stadium link worked a charm getting a load more sales for the big N.
Tue 01/01/02 at 19:46
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> $lik wrote:
> yes but when you think
> about it the ps2 and x-box are
> just multi-media set-top boxes for the casual
> gamer

Oh, so just
> because it makes use of cheaper and superior technology like DVD and has the
> ability to play them it ceases to be a console

> and are not really in
> direct competition with Nintendo as the Gamecube is
> purely a games console
> for the hardcore gamer

No, it's purely a console for people who like
> Nintendo. It's their loss they don't have a DVD player, not ours.

Not it isn't if i want a DVD player i'll buy one a PS2 is there for people who want a multi-media format those who want DVD and CD player and Games machine the gamecube is there for the Gamers and only for the gamers if the gamers want a DVD and CD player then they want a mult format system the Gamecueb fans want a Gamecube it isnt strictly the same market both Sony and Nintendo say they dont see eachotehr as competition.

>
> anyway the gamecube will allways
> outsell any other consoles

What,
> because it's Nintendo? Didn't work for the N64, did it?

Oh no the N64 made 6 time more than the SNES which Nintendo amde a killing out of oh no N64 didn't work... Prat.

> that a thought
> of as rivals anyway plus nintendo
> allways make the best games

We've
> had this out before. Do you really want me to post those painful statistics that
> prove the PlayStation has better games again?

What Statitics what oens the PS mags compare percentage scores or something lol. SSX Tricky big PS2 name on the Gamecube anticipation rating a whole 2 stars wow big Sony game or a piece of rubbish on the Gamecueb... hmmmm.

> so i don't think
> nintendo have anything to worry
> about in terms of competition.

I
> think you're as stupid as you are blind and biased.

And you are not i see, no ones cares about biased people the Gamecube is a bigger better smarter N64 with a lower price combined with the big games that Sony are sooo proud of a big plus me thinks.

Really silk? Was it you who posted this? Wow, I'd have never have
> guessed it was you, even WITH your name just to the left of this post! Please,
> put your name on the bottom of all you posts, just so I can be doubly sure that
> it's you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.