GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo: the year it fights back"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/01/02 at 00:12
Regular
Quite frankly I cant see PS2 gaining a lead throughout 2002.
Nor can I see the XBOX swelling to the front.
Nintendo will naturally bounce back with a vengence.

Sadly for Sony this is Nintendo's year and years there after.
Roll on Spring, I can't wait.
Fri 04/01/02 at 20:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'll make rough guesses but it's impossible to tell with the PC so I'll leave it out:

GBColour: 8%
GBA 40%
PSone: 11%
PS2: 41%
Fri 04/01/02 at 17:16
"You love us!"
Ok! I have no way of proving or disproving the 80% figure so i'll agree with you! Although as an educated guess i'd say this was around 60%

WOW, didn't think that'd ever happen ;-)

one thing i'll say about you is that you certianly have strong opinions and can get them across - i wouldn't always agree that you do this factually - but i have quite enjoyed our 'conversation' throughout this topic and others.

On a related subject Turbo, what do you think the PS2's UK market share (in terms of value of sales)is when compared to the other major formats - PC, GBColour, GBA, PSOne - this xmas?
Fri 04/01/02 at 16:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
OK. A very generous 80% and rising then.
Fri 04/01/02 at 16:47
"You love us!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Not my local GAME. I went there a few days ago.

Hmm, okay then Gameplay.com and don't forget SR! They sold them right up till just before xmas!

Either way, my point is that they're still being sold and there for offer an option (maybe a short term one, but none the less an option) other then PS2!
Fri 04/01/02 at 16:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Not my local GAME. I went there a few days ago.
Fri 04/01/02 at 13:49
"You love us!"
Um, how exactly? If you believe the DC is still being sold I'd
> like to ask where you've been living this last year!

Hmmm! Gameplay.com and GAME are both selling new UK DC’s at this very moment – not saying they’ve got many available, but they still have them in! Hell, Special Reserve had them in-stock until just before Christmas!
Thu 03/01/02 at 19:49
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Nintendo the year it fights back yes, but you have to listen to this!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/bands/saintdragon/index.htm

When your there go to MP3.
Thu 03/01/02 at 18:38
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The_King wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> Of course Sony have a 100% market share right now.
> There's only one console to
> buy, the (next-gen) market only consists of
> people who own PS2s and, therefore,
> Sony have a 100% market share in the
> UK.

[The_King shaking head in utter disbelif]

[Turbonutter shaking head in utter disbelif]

When you say Market Share
> what are you refering to - is this the amount of consoles sold this christmas,
> or are you talking about the insaller base throughout the UK? Either way Sony
> don't have 100% market share.

Urgh....

How many next gen consoles are there? ONE! ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE! YOU CAN ONLY BUY ONE NEXT GEN CONSOLE! The market for next-gen consoles currently consists ONLY of the PS2. Therefore, simple maths dictates that Sony must have 100% of the market share, because the market consists of ONLY the PS2 (in the UK only, of course).

For Sony to have a 100% market share this xmas
> it would mean the no Dreamcasts were sold - untrue as i know three people who
> bought one! And i'm sure there are many more who took the chance to buy one at a
> bargain price! Granted this won't be anywhere near as much of a share as PS2 but
> it measn Sony dont have 100%

If you count the Dreamcast then no, but the DC is officially discontnued for nearly a year now.

However, If you're talking about total user
> installed base throughout the UK (Which is how the market share of a console
> (and or its manufarturer) is calculated in the real world) then Sony's Market
> share much less.

However, i think im starting to learn how you think things
> through Turbo - and im guessing for the perpose of this argument you aren't
> counter the DC as a 'next-gen' console! Are you!? Didn't think so!

Of course the DC is a next gen console, I'm just not inclding it in the "market share" because this "war" is firmly between the PS2, GC and Xbox. The DC is out of it, it surrendered. No more are being produced, games have stopped being made. The chances are that a lot of people who had a DC are looking for another console right now. As good as it is, as soon as more games stopped being produced you run into problems because you can only play the same games over and over again so many times before you get bored with them.

So on that
> logic, yes the PS2 is the only 'next-gen' console out there! and yes Sony do
> have a 100% market share.

However, if you really belive this you need to be
> sectioned - that or go and work for Sony's marketing department, as i'm sure
> even they would be amazed by how you can come up with such utter shi.....

Um, how exactly? If you believe the DC is still being sold I'd like to ask where you've been living this last year!
Thu 03/01/02 at 15:38
"You love us!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Of course Sony have a 100% market share right now. There's only one console to
> buy, the (next-gen) market only consists of people who own PS2s and, therefore,
> Sony have a 100% market share in the UK.

[The_King shaking head in utter disbelif]

When you say Market Share what are you refering to - is this the amount of consoles sold this christmas, or are you talking about the insaller base throughout the UK? Either way Sony don't have 100% market share.

For Sony to have a 100% market share this xmas it would mean the no Dreamcasts were sold - untrue as i know three people who bought one! And i'm sure there are many more who took the chance to buy one at a bargain price! Granted this won't be anywhere near as much of a share as PS2 but it measn Sony dont have 100%

However, If you're talking about total user installed base throughout the UK (Which is how the market share of a console (and or its manufarturer) is calculated in the real world) then Sony's Market share much less.

However, i think im starting to learn how you think things through Turbo - and im guessing for the perpose of this argument you aren't counter the DC as a 'next-gen' console! Are you!? Didn't think so!

So on that logic, yes the PS2 is the only 'next-gen' console out there! and yes Sony do have a 100% market share.

However, if you really belive this you need to be sectioned - that or go and work for Sony's marketing department, as i'm sure even they would be amazed by how you can come up with such utter shi.....
Thu 03/01/02 at 15:14
Regular
"not dead"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Those statistics then:
>
*statistics removed*

Sorry to make it look like I'm picking on you here, but regarding those statistics, it says nothing about the types of games on each console.

It's a simple fact, some people like Playstation games better than Nintendo ones, so vice-versa.

I wouldn't buy a console that had a large amount of AAA games, if they were all racing games, would I? Considering I don't like racing games, anyway.

So, with these console wars topics, what are we debating, which will sell more?

Why do we care? Is it not more important which will have the largest amount of games that appeal to us?

But we're all capable of deciding that for ourselves, and would leave us with little to argue about....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.