GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo: the year it fights back"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/01/02 at 00:12
Regular
Quite frankly I cant see PS2 gaining a lead throughout 2002.
Nor can I see the XBOX swelling to the front.
Nintendo will naturally bounce back with a vengence.

Sadly for Sony this is Nintendo's year and years there after.
Roll on Spring, I can't wait.
Thu 03/01/02 at 15:02
Regular
"not dead"
Turbonutter wrote:

We've had
> this out a thousand times before. We're talking about consoles at the moment,
> and the GBA doesn't count. A lot of people see handhelds seperate from consoles,
> and whereas they usually wouldn't dream of having two consoles, owning a console
> and a handheld is perfectly acceptable. The handheld market is totally seperate
> and is a market in which Nintendo dominate through monopoly.

You see this argument doesn't make sense for a couple of reasons, firstly the GBA is branded to fit in with the Gamecube. The new colours of the GBA match the Gamecube launch colours. Basically they're a pair, if you've got one, you'll be temped to get the other.

Also why did so many people buy the PSX in the first place? Well I'd have to say that the Sony brand helped, wouldn't you? Doesn't the GBA keep the Nintendo name fresh in people's minds?
Thu 03/01/02 at 14:55
Regular
"not dead"
Turbonutter wrote:

This GC is
> SCHEDULED for April/May, but we know what Nintendo are like with
> "keeping" their deadlines. If it misses the May target it would almost
> certainly be put back to December.

Decmeber? Never.

That makes no sense. September, if it's going to be delayed, which I doubt.
Thu 03/01/02 at 14:53
Regular
"not dead"
Turbonutter wrote:

May I
> also remind you of the GameCube fairly muted launch in Japan, a market where it
> is said that if a console fails there it will fail in all other places?

What more can a console do other than sell all units?

Once they got more on the shelves, the first AAA title was released, Super Smash Bros Deluxe.

It wasn't a poor launch in Japan.
Thu 03/01/02 at 14:47
Regular
Not really...

DC games and N64 games are still selling a little...not much, but a little.

And we classified the GBA as a console, and that takes up a huge chunk af sales:D
Thu 03/01/02 at 13:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Of course Sony have a 100% market share right now. There's only one console to buy, the (next-gen) market only consists of people who own PS2s and, therefore, Sony have a 100% market share in the UK.
Thu 03/01/02 at 13:25
"You love us!"
Turbonutter wrote:
An awful lot of mags have sprung up recently from the actual gaming boom of ~'95. Many, many of these people will never have played some of the original Mario, Sonic and Zeldas. I think anyone who has will agree they are a lot, lot better.

What r u saying, that just because a lot of mags started after the inital console boom of the mid 90's, that the people working on these mags won't have played the classic marios, sonics, and zeldas! Surely you don't actually belive this - im giving you the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that was a (big) typo!

Turbonutter wrote:
Well duh. As soon as the first GC is sold their market share will be
> smaller! It's basic logistics! Also, there's not only one, but two consoles
> grappling for the public's disposable funds so I really wouldn't be surprised id
> Sony's market share drops to around 60% (from 100%) by next Christmas.

Again you cannot possible stand by this stagement! You're actually saying that at this stage Sony have a 100% market share in the UK (or anywhere for that matter)!

LOL!

A i continue to read your posts i can see that you do know the games industry a little better than i originally gave you credit for - and for this i apologise. However, when you come out with statments like the ones above, surely you can see why it's rather easy to come to this conclusion!....???
Thu 03/01/02 at 09:17
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> The_King wrote:
> Very true. Anyone can find a few stats pulled off a
> website that can prove any
> point you can think off - statistics mean very
> little when taken out of
> context.

I agree. I have never believed in
> statistics, but all this does show is that it's possible to prove people
> otherwise on ANYTHING.

Stats are really just a bunch of numbers, and a lot of them are made up at that!

Turbo, I really can't read your posts without
> getting annoyed! You
> are just so single-minded and stubborn it’s untrue!
> And worse still you don’t
> have clue about the subject matter.

Oh God,
> not this again. I left because of people like you. Really, if you get to know
> me, you'll realise I'm a lot less one-track-minded than a lot of people round
> here.

Yes - TBN is cool, leave him be and his picture rules!

Fact: within the games press Zelda OOT is
> widely accepted as
> the best game of all time – I personally don’t agree but if
> you asked 10
> games jurnos, 9 of them would say Zelda, even the ones who don’t
> work on a
> Nintendo mag.

I don't think it's valid to say "Oh, this is the best game of all time", because it's a matter of opinion, according to a survey. There could be another million they haven't asked who think MGS is the best game of all time. Like I said, stats aren't worth a crap really.

An awful lot of mags have sprung up recently from the actual
> gaming boom of ~'95. Many, many of these people will never have played some of
> the original Mario, Sonic and Zeldas. I think anyone who has will agree they are
> a lot, lot better.

The original Sonic and Mario games are better - that I can assure you, but I haven't played Zelda. I wish there was a retro part to this site.

Fact: Not so long ago there was a survey that went
>
> out loads of people in the games industry (games jurnos, programmers and
>
> retailers) in both the UK and US. It asked them to vote for their top ten
> games
> of all time! Of the top ten, 6 of them were Nintendo games!

Yes - N64 has a smaller library of games than the other consoles - but more of them are quality than PS1/PS2.

Just
> because you
> don’t agree with something doesn’t make it wrong or
> untrue.

Yes - that's classified as hypocritical.

Some stats for
> you from the January issue of T3
> magazine…

26,000 people were asked which
> ‘console are you saving up
> for’

GC = 49%
Xbox = 43%
PS2 = 2.8

I guess I'm that 2.8% then!

Back to the stats again, also taken
> out of context. Observe:

If you have a PS2, you wouldn't be "saving
> up" for one would you? Also, if you expected to get one for Christmas, you
> wouldn't be saving either. However, all the people who want a GC or Xbox CAN do
> is save up, otherwise they would have got one already. You can't compare saving
> up statistics between 2 consoles that aren't out and one that is. It's
> ludicrous.

To me, saving up includes parents saving up, as I hardly ever have to buy anything out of my own pocket, except games.

And don’t
> forget this poll was taken before xmas so you
> can assume that all the people
> that voted for GC and xBox weren’t going to
> get a PS2 for xmas!

Yes - date is very important, it could all be different in a few months.

PS2 is a
> very good machine – hell I bought one
> myself the xmas – but the anticipation for
> GC and Xbox is huge.

And...

As
> was the anticipation for the PS2. Generally all anticipation for a console is
> huge, it goes without saying.

Yes - unless it's called GBA.

Until this point Sony have had very little
> competition
> in the home console market – DC going nowhere and N64 game
> production being
> effectively stopped as Nintendo gear up for GC! This is
> no longer the case,
> it’s no longer a one horse race – no matter how much
> people like you would like
> to believe otherwise!

Sony are getting more and more uncomfortable as the day progresses - I can feel it in my bones.

Of course I don't
> believe it's a one horse race. You are a total idiot if you think I believe that
> and are also completely unqualified to judge me.

I don't think that - in fact, quite the contrary.

This time next year the
> landscape of video games in the
> UK will be significantly different. I
> have no idea who’ll come out on top –
> hell I don’t really care as long as
> I get to play some great games along the
> way!

Blah blah blah, heard
> it all before.

I agree with Kingy boy here.

However, I will make one prediction: this time next year
> Sony’s market
> share will be significantly less than it is right
> now.

I have thought this from the outset.

Well duh. As soon as the first GC is sold their market share will be
> smaller! It's basic logistics! Also, there's not only one, but two consoles
> grappling for the public's disposable funds so I really wouldn't be surprised id
> Sony's market share drops to around 60% (from 100%) by next Christmas.

PS2 was launched too early - that's my philosopy on this subject.

It’s
> gonna’ be a very
> good year indeed!

Too true.

Indeed. MGS2... lovely.

MG2 :( I won't be getting a PS2 until Christmas 2002 :( Well - at least the current games will be signifcantly cheaper! Mark.
Thu 03/01/02 at 03:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The_King wrote:
> Very true. Anyone can find a few stats pulled off a website that can prove any
> point you can think off - statistics mean very little when taken out of
> context.

I agree. I have never believed in statistics, but all this does show is that it's possible to prove people otherwise on ANYTHING.

Turbo, I really can't read your posts without getting annoyed! You
> are just so single-minded and stubborn it’s untrue! And worse still you don’t
> have clue about the subject matter.

Oh God, not this again. I left because of people like you. Really, if you get to know me, you'll realise I'm a lot less one-track-minded than a lot of people round here.

Fact: within the games press Zelda OOT is
> widely accepted as the best game of all time – I personally don’t agree but if
> you asked 10 games jurnos, 9 of them would say Zelda, even the ones who don’t
> work on a Nintendo mag.

An awful lot of mags have sprung up recently from the actual gaming boom of ~'95. Many, many of these people will never have played some of the original Mario, Sonic and Zeldas. I think anyone who has will agree they are a lot, lot better.

Fact: Not so long ago there was a survey that went
> out loads of people in the games industry (games jurnos, programmers and
> retailers) in both the UK and US. It asked them to vote for their top ten games
> of all time! Of the top ten, 6 of them were Nintendo games!

Just because you
> don’t agree with something doesn’t make it wrong or untrue.

Some stats for
> you from the January issue of T3 magazine…

26,000 people were asked which
> ‘console are you saving up for’

GC = 49%
Xbox = 43%
PS2 = 2.8

Back to the stats again, also taken out of context. Observe:

If you have a PS2, you wouldn't be "saving up" for one would you? Also, if you expected to get one for Christmas, you wouldn't be saving either. However, all the people who want a GC or Xbox CAN do is save up, otherwise they would have got one already. You can't compare saving up statistics between 2 consoles that aren't out and one that is. It's ludicrous.

And don’t
> forget this poll was taken before xmas so you can assume that all the people
> that voted for GC and xBox weren’t going to get a PS2 for xmas!

PS2 is a
> very good machine – hell I bought one myself the xmas – but the anticipation for
> GC and Xbox is huge.

As was the anticipation for the PS2. Generally all anticipation for a console is huge, it goes without saying.

Until this point Sony have had very little competition
> in the home console market – DC going nowhere and N64 game production being
> effectively stopped as Nintendo gear up for GC! This is no longer the case,
> it’s no longer a one horse race – no matter how much people like you would like
> to believe otherwise!

Of course I don't believe it's a one horse race. You are a total idiot if you think I believe that and are also completely unqualified to judge me.

This time next year the landscape of video games in the
> UK will be significantly different. I have no idea who’ll come out on top –
> hell I don’t really care as long as I get to play some great games along the
> way!

Blah blah blah, heard it all before.

However, I will make one prediction: this time next year Sony’s market
> share will be significantly less than it is right now.

Well duh. As soon as the first GC is sold their market share will be smaller! It's basic logistics! Also, there's not only one, but two consoles grappling for the public's disposable funds so I really wouldn't be surprised id Sony's market share drops to around 60% (from 100%) by next Christmas.

It’s gonna’ be a very
> good year indeed!

Indeed. MGS2... lovely.
Wed 02/01/02 at 18:51
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Sony's market share will be significantly less.
Even Sony themselves sent me a little email today saying quote: "We are looking forward to the Gamecube" and a few other bits worth noting.
Ill tell you people what was said by Sony UK and Sony Ireland if there "is a demand to".
Wed 02/01/02 at 17:35
"You love us!"
Very true. Anyone can find a few stats pulled off a website that can prove any point you can think off - statistics mean very little when taken out of context.

Turbo, I really can't read your posts without getting annoyed! You are just so single-minded and stubborn it’s untrue! And worse still you don’t have clue about the subject matter.

Fact: within the games press Zelda OOT is widely accepted as the best game of all time – I personally don’t agree but if you asked 10 games jurnos, 9 of them would say Zelda, even the ones who don’t work on a Nintendo mag.

Fact: Not so long ago there was a survey that went out loads of people in the games industry (games jurnos, programmers and retailers) in both the UK and US. It asked them to vote for their top ten games of all time! Of the top ten, 6 of them were Nintendo games!

Just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t make it wrong or untrue.

Some stats for you from the January issue of T3 magazine…

26,000 people were asked which ‘console are you saving up for’

GC = 49%
Xbox = 43%
PS2 = 2.8

And don’t forget this poll was taken before xmas so you can assume that all the people that voted for GC and xBox weren’t going to get a PS2 for xmas!

PS2 is a very good machine – hell I bought one myself the xmas – but the anticipation for GC and Xbox is huge.

Until this point Sony have had very little competition in the home console market – DC going nowhere and N64 game production being effectively stopped as Nintendo gear up for GC! This is no longer the case, it’s no longer a one horse race – no matter how much people like you would like to believe otherwise!

This time next year the landscape of video games in the UK will be significantly different. I have no idea who’ll come out on top – hell I don’t really care as long as I get to play some great games along the way!

However, I will make one prediction: this time next year Sony’s market share will be significantly less than it is right now.

It’s gonna’ be a very good year indeed!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.