GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Daily Gaming Chat - the latest and greatest (and the rest)..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/11/11 at 10:42
"Are you sure?"
Welcome to Freeola's Daily Gaming Chat!
Post your Gaming gossip and comments here...

Overheard

...Super Mario Land 3D reviews have scored higher (from IGN and EuroGamer at least) than both MW3 and BF3.

*Remember...*
You can Win Free Games here on Freeola just by chatting, reviewing or adding game cheats and walkthroughs!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Page:
Fri 11/11/11 at 10:24
Regular
I totally agree that you can't reliably compare reviews between genres. I just thought it was pretty interesting and it seems to have sparked a bit of discussion.

Staying on the topic of review scores, Skyrim has notched up a 96/100 average, which is pretty impressive to say the least.

Still not sure whether I should buy it or not though.
Fri 11/11/11 at 00:52
Regular
pb wrote:
You can buy a £4000 PC but it won't make Plants vs Zombies look any better... ;)

The person who bought it would convince themself it does, because they struggle to have sense :P

Like my bro, more money than sense ^^
Fri 11/11/11 at 00:47
Regular
@Dragonlance

I wonder why you think my name is weird, I don't see it being much different from dav2612 or pete_21 ^^

I know it's not likely to ever happen, its a pipe deam. It's just when you think of games like FF13 and how many hours and developers would have been hired just to get lightning from A to B and how much more could have been done. Or maybe its a budget thing rather than a graphical issue, I don't know. I mention standardization in that more people get used to it and so more people can help out and third party toolsets can help developers who find it difficult getting to grips with development. I'm just saying that any time wasted getting used to new tools just adds to expenses.
Fri 11/11/11 at 00:30
"possibly impossible"
You can buy a £4000 PC but it won't make Plants vs Zombies look any better... ;)
Thu 10/11/11 at 23:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just isn't going to happen Davidm4 (what a strange name? never mind) ...there will never be a 'peak in graphical ability' on the PC and neither will there be an 'agreed standard of software that all developers use' for the PC, because the PC runs the game pal!

Just try programming an XBox or perhaps a PS3 or perhaps any console you care to mention ... isn't going to happen without the 'good ole, much maligned, picked upon and often bullied ... PC'.

Developers/programmers know how to use the 'software that is applicable to each console after they have programmed it using a PC' ... (when does this discussion ever get interesting) ... the software isn't to blame ... it's the developers/ programmers/ authors whoever decides on the plot/storyline of a game that the developers/programmers have then to turn into reality for you on your console, but have to do it through a PC first ..... (doesn't really end here, but I'm tired of this story so I'll develop it as a console game)

:¬D
Thu 10/11/11 at 22:06
Regular
Must.... resist.... talking about... games.. in... general...chat...

OT: I have a pretty good pc and I have yet to buy a game that pushes it to the max. That said, I also usually have more issues as well e.g. I bought Bioshock on PC and I can't get the sound to work after the first cutscene. Consoles have the advantage of standardization and I don't really care about graphics. I'd be happy with ps2 and gamecube graphics. I can't wait till we peak in graphical ability and have a standard of software that all developers use so that more time can be spent making the game rather than on learning how to use software and pushing the graphics to the max.
Thu 10/11/11 at 19:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
Dragonlance wrote:
[i]Not saying that PC quality is any better, but if you've got the 'power' you can rock :¬)

A high end PC will always outperform a console but what kind of gaming PC could you get for £150? Personally I quite like sticking the disc in and playing the game, some PC games don't always install/run as easily as you might expect. Then again, if I did move to PC gaming would I really miss the idiots I have to regularly put with on XBL?[/i]

Very true pete, but yes ... the 'idiots' do seem to be less abundant except for 'PC owning Latvians' at the moment :¬)

probably shouldn't have said that, but I did so ....
Thu 10/11/11 at 19:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dragonlance wrote:
Not saying that PC quality is any better, but if you've got the 'power' you can rock :¬)

A high end PC will always outperform a console but what kind of gaming PC could you get for £150? Personally I quite like sticking the disc in and playing the game, some PC games don't always install/run as easily as you might expect. Then again, if I did move to PC gaming would I really miss the idiots I have to regularly put with on XBL?
Thu 10/11/11 at 19:44
Regular
"How Ironic"
Games are all a matter of a opinion. A game review or rating is only an indication of quality, and they should be taken lightly instead of being interpreted as a definitive conclusion. I really don't think you can compare Super Mario to Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3 in any way. They are for completely different audiences. It could easily be argued that MW3 or BF3 have greater expectations than Mario and so are marked more harshly.

It is still intriguing however that Mario has scored higher, but I really don't think it means much.
Thu 10/11/11 at 17:57
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
This is where game scores come under attack, they're not designed to compare one game genre to another, they give an indication of overall quality.

Otherwise you could say that a supercar scored 8/10 in a car magazine so it's obviously worse than MW3...

This is why game reviews exist, those letters and words are pretty important!

Letters and words are only an 'indication' pb ... one 'experienced' person's unbiased views ... or so we are led to believe.

All games are 'scored' and we are all aware that 'for that genre XBox, PC, etc etc' it's quite a reliable system on individual systems. But for games that 'span the systems' it's not quite that simple. Most of the games mentioned earlier are 'console games' and will never appear on the PC ... (console games drop out of the sky on a daily basis) ... so, in agreement here, the review scores are useless for comparison.

'Quality' is a term that cannot be applied to console games - the standards are the same and have been for the last couple of years and no room for improvement! Not saying that PC quality is any better, but if you've got the 'power' you can rock :¬)
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.