GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just buy a Dreamast and a Dvd player"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/09/00 at 18:44
Regular
Dreamcast £149.99 and Dvd 164.99 which for all of you Playstation fans £314.98 all togther. Dreamcast is better and with Bleemcast you can play Pc and Dreamcast games so just get them. Whose with me?
Sat 30/09/00 at 23:58
>Where does the modem go? I know Dreamcasts is built in, and Gamecube has that port underneath, but how does the PS2 one attach? (Don't tell me it has to be attached as an external product, as I will laugh. A lot.)

Just noticed this post from a while back. Couldn't see any other direct reply, so thought I'd answer it...

For Japanese PS2's, the modem will be an external unit, combined with the HD - photos have already appeared in some mags.

For US/UK PS2's, the innards have been re-designed, and the modem/HD will fit inside the machine via a panel on the back.

The reason no modem is supplied with PS2 is that Sony believe that current modem technology is too restrictive for the machine. Sony's plans go far beyond gaming; eventually they hope you be able to buy a game online and download it directly to the PS2's HD add-on, and this will require broadband connection.

I'm sure all of you will agree that downloading game of CD-capacity size (650Mb) over a 56K modem is not a realisitc prospect, even with free net access; imagine the download time for a DVD-based game! However, a 512K digital cable-modem makes this idea a lot more feasible.

I am on the NTL cable network, and an affordable broadband connection (£40/month flat rate) is only months away - some areas already have it. I have been planning to take up this option for my PC since it was announced, so you can imagine how happy I was when Sony announced these plans.

As someone else has mentioned, I tend to steer clear of online gaming at the moment because the speed and reliability just isn't there. Broadband will probably change all that.

Anyway, those who do enjoy online gaming shouldn't fret... it is highly likely that some third-party peripheral manufacturers will release USB modems, keyboards and mice for PS2 very soon after launch.
Sat 30/09/00 at 17:11
is Ant ,

Anthony knowles from birmingham?
this is Arshan if it is,phone us back up, your number dont work
Sat 30/09/00 at 17:07
is Ant ,

Anthony knowles from birmingham?
this is Arshan if it is,phone us back up, your number dont work
Thu 28/09/00 at 17:30
I have been reading this forum for the last week and it appears that Babylonian is the most well rounded person who writes on here. I think the PS2 deserves a chance and I have pre-ordered mine as I got burnt last time when I decided to buy an N64 instead of a Playstation.

It must be remembered that the majority of launch games on any system are substandard but with that said there are already lots of games that I want on the PS2.

I think that TTT, SSX, the Bouncer, StarWars Starfighter, GT2000 and Summoner are looking excellent. I dont think a lack of quality software is going to be a problem, in fact I am wondering how I am going to afford all the titles I want.

I dont hate the DC. I think it is a good system but it does not have the games on it that I want to play. It must be remembered that the Dreamcast had many terrible release games and of course the games have got better since then. I was not impressed enough by the Dreamcast to buy one but I am impressed by the PS2 line up so far and I am sure that the games will only get better.

Roll on November the 24th.
Thu 28/09/00 at 00:06
> Erm. Personaly, I think there are plenty of biased people who
> would die for their console

I wouldn't go that far, it's not *that* important!

> but have never really played on others. Tigerblade has, so why doubt him?

I don't doubt him as such, I just question some of his claims and motives. (I'm sure he's a really nice guy!) He was obviously disappointed with his PS2, and I will gladly accept that.

There will always be people who prefer other machines than "The Next Big Thing", whether through past loyalties to another brand, or simply because they prefer that machine's software.

But people pointed out the various quirks of the Japanese PS2, and Sony have fixed most of them. The DVD quality may not be the dogs danglies, but it is better than many dedicated players. People seem to lose sight of the fact that PS2 is a console that plays DVD movies - it is *not* a DVD player.

I have a £750 Sony DVP-S725D, and the quality is practically perfect - anything better would probably be undetectable by the eye, anyway. For me to expect PS2 to match that quality would be extremely harsh, and let's face it, if PS2 did somehow match it, Sony would be shooting themselves in the foot because people would never buy their "real" players!

>Hes the only one to properly play on a PS2 (Even though its Japanese, British will be
> better, perhaps.) so why judge something that you haven't yet used?

You've partially answered your own question. I'm not judging it, I'm defending it against unfair arguments, and stating that one person's opinion (and he is entitled to that opinion) does not mean that the machine is useless. Just as my opinion does not mean that the "toaster" is the best thing since sliced bread!

PS2 will have changed significantly by its launch in the UK, which *could* and *should* result in improvements, which is basically all I've been saying.

Apart from that, there have been claims made about the machine which I and others here know to be false, and a claim of completing a game which only exists in demo form; that, in my book, gives sufficient reason to doubt certain other claims.

I may be wrong, but I would also suspect that a Jap PS2 running Jap software has been compared to a UK Dreamcast running UK games. Many softco's are making use of the months between regional launches to fine-tune code already released in Japan before its UK/US/Euro release. Some - such as DOA2:Hardcore - are being completely re-written. There's also the fact that many of the games claimed to be 'shoddy' are actually still in development and far from the finished article, and thus sweeping statements on PS2 software quality are grossly unfair.

One final thing to remember is that Tigerblade probably paid a small fortune for his imported PS2 and games, and that is bound to add to the disappointment he already felt. If you're disappointed with a product you bought for £300, think how gutted you'd be if you'd paid £700 or more - which was one approximate import price I saw in a magazine several months ago, just after the Japanese launch.

> We can say why we think it might be good, but we can't say
> its better than anything. At the moment.

Agreed - and by the same standard, it shouldn't be said to be worse than anyting else either.
Wed 27/09/00 at 21:10
My plan is to play on other people's PS2s, then if (or when) I like what I play then I'll try to find the money. But with 4 consoles, a PC and 2 handhelds already it's getting a bit hard to justify another console, especially for the money.
Wed 27/09/00 at 19:43
Regular
That is an odd saying... There aren't many sharp tools anyway...
Whoops. Sliding away again.
Erm. Personaly, I think there are plenty of biased people who would die for their console, but have never really played on others. Tigerblade has, so why doubt him? Hes the only one to properly play on a PS2 (Even though its Japanese, British will be better, perhaps.) so why judge something that you haven't yet used? We can say why we think it might be good, but we can't say its better than anything.
At the moment.
Wed 27/09/00 at 19:23
You're not the sharpest tool in the box, are you. I said that Tigerblade IS CORRECT in saying that there are cheaper dedicated players available. Re-read my previous posting.

Yes, a lot of casual gamers think PS1 is the best, and so do a lot of hardcore gamers.
Wed 27/09/00 at 17:31
"Tigerblade has said that is undeniably correct is that there are cheaper, dedicated players available. "

uuhh, try UKgames.com and ull get a full featured, all region silver unit for £150......
mm....
And obviously people are wasting money, a lot of casual gamers arent the smartest and think the PS1 is the best, like that guy above who said its worth £300 to save room space!
What a gamer!
Tue 26/09/00 at 21:09
> Or perhaps even use your mind for a change? The PS2 isn't dieing
> out, but I noticed nothing said about the actual SALE OF GAMES for
> PS2. I say again: 1.7 games to every PS2 owner.

Yes, all very well - I wasn't replying to your message, but I will now.

I can well believe the games figures - when I bought my PlayStation, I only bought one game - Wipeout. The launch line-up then wasn't big, and wasn't great.

PS2's launch titles, for me personally, are better. Not ideal, admittedly - but I am prepared to wait. It's not an uncommon problem with a new system. As it is, I have 4 games ordered with my PS2, and there are several more forthcoming titles that I want.

As mentioned in my posting above, the DVD market in Japan has really taken off since PS2 launched, and 30% of buyers didn't previously own a PS1. That would suggest that many were buying it, initially, as a DVD player. One thing Tigerblade has said that is undeniably correct is that there are cheaper, dedicated players available. If DVD was all the Japanese punters wanted, they'd have surely bought one of them.

But the machines are selling, the user-base is growing, and when the games start coming, people will start buying.

> I asked a friend today if he'll be getting a PS2 for Christmas, he
> said "Yeah, I'll pay £299 for it, and I'll play all my
> old games."
> "Err, Why?"
> "Because I'll probably use it more for playing DVDs"

I see that as a small piece of evidence to back up what I say above. Your friend could buy dedicated DVD player for less than half the price of PS2. I'm assuming that your friend doesn't just prefer spending more money than is necessary; so the underlying factor must be that he will be waiting for the games, and wants to get in 'on the ground floor' like so many other people.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.