GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"is the x-box good enough for me to sell my PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/12/01 at 11:02
Regular
what do i do? what do i do?
i need help!
Do i sell my ps2 raising the money for an X-box or not?
When i first got the PS2 i was, obviously, dead against the X-box, but now more info is coming out about the X-box i am beginning to worder whether i made the right decision when buying a PS2.
I am now trying to decide whether i should sell my PS2 which is on its 2nd wave of games, and buy an X-box which will mean i have to go through all the launch process of a console again, waiting for some good game line-ups.
What im asking for is opinions and info from pals who are also thinking of turning to the dark side or fans of the X-box/PS2. Know of any good games for the X-box? Anyone know how much better the x-box is graphically? Then please help! I dont want to make a mistake!
Let me hear from ya!

Mike
Sun 23/12/01 at 19:41
"High polygon count"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> The pads are meant to be v. comfortable... the only people who say
> otherwise are PS2 mags/websites!

From Edge issue 105, page 9, "Hands On" column...

"Nevertheless, there are genuine concerns about the western controller design - particularly face buttons that prove difficult to locate precisely even after sustained play. In its favour, the two analogue sticks, the D-pad and the trigger buttons are solid and well constructed, but it's a shame that the prototype Japanese controllers to be found at X01 won't be introduced as standard."
Sun 23/12/01 at 12:52
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Mantis has finallymade my point...

MS has enough money to ensure that the xbox has great exclusive games, a great advertising buget, and some huge deals.

The pads are meant to be v. comfortable... the only people who say otherwise are PS2 mags/websites! You know, everyone used to take the mic out of the PS pads because they have stupid grips...

Sonic
Sun 23/12/01 at 00:01
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Someone comment because I want to get a good argument going.
Sat 22/12/01 at 23:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I think you will be wrong shocky for some very good reasons

1-OK the xbox pad is large, but the console itself is designed for adult gamers. There is a smaller Japanesse version of the pad in development which could be released worldwide depending on demand. Also, i'm sure there will be some great 3rd party alternatives which could put the official pad to shame , so why not get one of those. I think that not getting a console only because of its pad is a crap excuse.

2- "its got no good games"- What?!? There are 329 titles in development for the xbox already! Its got a great launch line up and exclusive titles which I feel are stronger than the PS2 and GC. MS have also got plenty of cash to buy more exclusive titles aswell.

3- MS are rich and will advertise the machine heavaly. Come march expect xbox adds to be all over the TV, everyone will know what an xbox is. This strong advertising will create a sence of excitement which was about the PS2 launch so it will ensure plenty of units are sold.

4- My friends uncle was over the visit him the other day, and he said the xbox is very popular in america. Hes not a big gamer, but he even mentioned that he thought the GC games where "childish". Altough the GC sold more units on launch day, the xbox over the past few weeks has caught up sales wise. I expect reports of the xbox overtaking the GC in america to happen very soon.

The PS2 is good now, but when the xbox arrives it will be just plain average. Many "great" PS2 games are multi-format so you will be seeing popular titles like SH2, TH3, SSX tricky, Max payne, GTA3 all appearing on xbox. Recently Agent under fire was comfermed for the xbox aswell.
PS2& GC games can be ported to xbox, but xbox games just can't be ported to PS2 and GC. Games like Halo and DOA3 are too advanced.

The PS2 offers so little in comparrason to the xbox so I say trade it in. You have got a few months to decide anyway. Make the right choice, the xbox is the real next gen machine.
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:28
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Oh, and shocky... dissing the xbox's pad is the most pathetic thing I have ever
> heard come from you!

Sonic

Why exactly?
Any console's controller will effect the amount of fun you have with a game. And all I'm saying is that it doesn't look as if the Xbox's controller will be as good as the Gamecube's or PS2's, that's all.

I'm not saying the Xbox is total s**t, I do take interest into what the games will be like - it's just, I can't see how it'll do as well as its competitors...

I'll be wrong, though...I always am :(
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:23
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
No, i think you're right about the 8 degrees of activation... it's just the PS2 has 256... in reality you can't chose that many (after all, the button only presses down by a few millimeters) so it doesn't matter...

Oh, and rumours say MGSX is on the way.... but the trail went cold a couple of months ago :(

Sonic
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:18
oops maybe i read the article wrong, it reads "Each registers eight degrees of activation from fully off to fully depressed"
I hope MGS2 does surface on the X-box although i have heard that most of the Japanese companies are refusing to work with Microsoft
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Hey mickey!

Good to see you've actually formed an ubiased opinion... however, I must say that the PS2's buttons have 256 levels of sensitivity and MGS2 probably won't come to the console... but Konami are making games for it... so u never know :)

Sonic
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:04
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
i've said it once and i'll say it again i'll only buy gamecube/x box when a must have game comes out
Sat 22/12/01 at 22:01
thanks for all the advice so far guys! Iv'e read an article in a magazine and i'm not that worried about games anymore - apparently X-box owners could still look forward to games such as MGS2 and GTA3, so thats ok.
Im not hopeful of a quick price drop as the PS2 has had, because at £300 for a DVD player, hard drive, internet option and the most powerful console ever, its already at a bloody great price. I think the price will stick for a while - at least until PS3!
Controllers can never meet the standard design of playstations, but i have to say, the features on the X-box do impress me, with 8 leves of sensitivity on each button.
As for Gamecube, I have nothing against them but i dont do Nintendo. As a conlcusion i forsee the X-box as only appealing to the real hardcore gamers, but i look forward to the everlasting battle of the console wars, and await Sony's response to X-box. Keep the posts going as i look forward to reading more about all the consoles.
Cheers
Mike

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.