GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"is the x-box good enough for me to sell my PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/12/01 at 11:02
Regular
what do i do? what do i do?
i need help!
Do i sell my ps2 raising the money for an X-box or not?
When i first got the PS2 i was, obviously, dead against the X-box, but now more info is coming out about the X-box i am beginning to worder whether i made the right decision when buying a PS2.
I am now trying to decide whether i should sell my PS2 which is on its 2nd wave of games, and buy an X-box which will mean i have to go through all the launch process of a console again, waiting for some good game line-ups.
What im asking for is opinions and info from pals who are also thinking of turning to the dark side or fans of the X-box/PS2. Know of any good games for the X-box? Anyone know how much better the x-box is graphically? Then please help! I dont want to make a mistake!
Let me hear from ya!

Mike
Mon 24/12/01 at 00:57
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Ok, my reply, on second thoughts, was pathetic, and I completely misread what you had typed.

There is one point I have to bring you back to though. Should Gothma be better than GT3?

NO! After all, GT3 is the "best racer ever" according to some... so even if Gotham is close to GT3 then it'll be a huge boost to the MS line up.

Oh, and of course MS want you to think that gotham is better... just as Sony want you to think GT3 is better...

Sonic

Oh, and you really should get Edge, simply for the honesty of reviews... 10/10 means JUST THAT! the game is near perfect! Only half a dozen games have ever been given that score, and not many even get 9/10 (which is still a must have).
Mon 24/12/01 at 00:24
"High polygon count"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Errrrr... so you seem to have located one small negative about
> the console, and neglected the excellent reviews, highly regarded impressions of
> xbox's european launch party, and great love of MS's market strategy!

I've neglected nothing, and said nothing negative about the system in any of the posts I've made in this thread. I simply pointed out that Sony fans aren't the only people with negative comments about the Xbox controllers, which is what you claimed in an earlier post. Since then people have atrtributed things to me that I haven't actually said.

I didn't mention the rest of the articles because I was addressing one single comment, which made quoting other parts of the article irrelevant. In fact, I even included more of the quote than necessary, which says that apart from the problems with the buttons, the rest of the pad was solid and that it was a "shame" that an apparently better version of the pad wasn't being used for the Western market.

There are indeed third-party controllers coming; and there are for every platform. It's funny how this is dragged up now, but ignored when everyone else knocks Sony's controllers.

> Oh, and wookie, in the latest post you were talking
> about gotham not being much more advanced than
> GT3. Should it be?

If you are to believe the MS hype, then yes it should be.

> Oh, and don't take Halo likely... 10/10 is unheard of!

That's as may be, but it *is* just an FPS, however pretty it looks. It's certainly a game I'll be interested in if I do get an Xbox - but I'm not wetting myself over it.

> How many games has edge given that score? Zelda is the
> last I can remember

Couldn't tell you as I've only ever bought Edge twice before; buying a multi-format mag is laregly pointless if you only own one system - I tend to keep up with other things for free via the net. :-)
Sun 23/12/01 at 23:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
From Edge issue
> 105, page 9, "Hands On" column...

"Nevertheless, there are
> genuine concerns about the western controller design - particularly face buttons
> that prove difficult to locate precisely even after sustained play. In its
> favour, the two analogue sticks, the D-pad and the trigger buttons are solid and
> well constructed, but it's a shame that the prototype Japanese controllers to be
> found at X01 won't be introduced as standard."

Ummm... but as someone pointed out, Edge gamve 10/10 for halo, and had the cover of the last issue as:

"FXXK: why edge swears by Xbox"

Errrrr... so you seem to have located one small negative about the console, and neglected the excellent reviews, highly regarded impressions of xbox's european launch party, and great love of MS's market strategy!

And as someone said, there are 3rd party controllers coming too!

Oh, and wookie, in the latest post you were talking about gotham not being much more advanced than GT3. Should it be? Racing fans say that GT3 is the "best racer ever" so even if gotham is just on par, it's a hell of a big thing for the xbox! Oh, and don't take Halo likely... 10/10 is unheard of! How many games has edge given that score? Zelda is the last I can remember (although I think there was one on the PS since then!)

Sonic
Sun 23/12/01 at 21:59
The Xbox is a good machine but I think that if you sell your PS2 you will regrete it. Just try to save up the money wihtout selling your PS2.
Sun 23/12/01 at 20:42
"High polygon count"
It's simply a comment - neither anti-Xbox nor pro-PS2.

I bought this issue of Edge to read abuot the Xbox, because the Wreckless screenshots got my attention. And it does look good - but I don't see anything that can be done on the other two platforms. I can even see jaggies in the screenshots!

Project Gotham looks no different to GT3, and the game apparently doesn't have as much depth. Halo looks okay, and as much as I like FPS games, it's "just another" FPS. Rallisport Challenge looks very much like WRC2001 on PS2.

It *is* more advanced, no doubt about that - but coming 18 months after PS2, that's no more than you'd expect. But this thing is, it's not *that* big a leap. From PSone to Dreamcast/PS2 there was a significant improvement in graphics; it's not the case with Xbox. There are titles on PS2 and Gamecube that look every bit as good and fun to play as any Xbox title. It's not all about neon FX, light sources and lensflare.
Sun 23/12/01 at 20:30
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
S'funny... I don't recall mentioning any kind of preference for
> the PS2. Simply pointing out that, unlike Sonic's claim, PS2 fans aren't the
> only ones to point out negatives about the Xbox.

Still... given this is an X-Box over PS2 discussion... An anti-X box note would be pro PS2?
Sun 23/12/01 at 20:27
"High polygon count"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Then its used as a reason
> to prefer the PS2? ... mmmmm? :)

S'funny... I don't recall mentioning any kind of preference for the PS2. Simply pointing out that, unlike Sonic's claim, PS2 fans aren't the only ones to point out negatives about the Xbox.

Edge are multi-format and pretty much neutral, and in fact the issue I mentioned has an Xbox special article, and they are full of praise for the machine.

I myself have recently said that my opinion has changed, and that I may be getting one after seeing shots of Wreckless - if the gameplay lives up to the graphics.

Though it *is* more powerful, over all, I still don't think that the Xbox has any significant edge over the other machines. But then, if I own all three, does it matter?

Even so, I do genuinely like the feel of Sony's pads, and while I haven't *used* either the Gamecube or Xbox pads, knowing my own preferences, I can be *fairly* certain that I won't find them as comfortable.
Sun 23/12/01 at 20:23
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mantis wrote:
> Like I said before, 3rd party! But that seams to be a no-go area for all you
> anti-xbox people.

I was under the impression that the pro-Sony peeps considered 3rd party developers to be a strenth of the console?
Sun 23/12/01 at 20:12
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Like I said before, 3rd party! But that seams to be a no-go area for all you anti-xbox people.

And sonicrav was right by the way, the pad is comfortable to hold as the handles are curved unlike the DCs. The only draw back is that the 4 main buttons are too close together and the d pad is moulded. Apart from that it works fine.
Sun 23/12/01 at 20:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
From Edge issue
> 105, page 9, "Hands On" column...

"Nevertheless, there are
> genuine concerns about the western controller design - particularly face buttons
> that prove difficult to locate precisely even after sustained play. In its
> favour, the two analogue sticks, the D-pad and the trigger buttons are solid and
> well constructed, but it's a shame that the prototype Japanese controllers to be
> found at X01 won't be introduced as standard."

Hold on... a coupl of posts back, a pro-PS2er was arguing that Edge had been paid off to give Halo a 10/10...

Then its used as a reason to prefer the PS2? ... mmmmm? :)

Since the X-Box has only just been released in the states...

Which means that no one really knows where its going, how the games will be, etc...

Eqaully, no one here has played on the X-Box, so they cant really comment...

Seems to me that no-one can really comment at the moment...

Although at the end of the day, it only depends on which machine you prefer PS2/X-Box, GC, Dreamcast...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.