GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The State of Modern Kids' T.V."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/10 at 21:28
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I don't know about you guys, but when I watch modern kids' TV I can't help but think it has gone seriously downhill.

I think this is mainly due to many kids TV programs trying to be too educational, and also, with the advancements in computer technology, it actually seems to me that a lot of modern day animated cartoons look worse than those of the 80's and early 90's. Plus what's with many cartoons trying to teach kids Spanish these days?

Going to sound old now, but I remember the greats such as Transformers(Gen 1), Mask, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. Not only were these brilliant cartoons with interesting storylines, but they also had some of the best intro music ever, something else that seems to have been overlooked in modern cartoons.

So what do you guys think? Have modern day kids programs lost that sense of fun and excitment of old, or am I just being an old grump? :D
Sat 25/09/10 at 10:57
Regular
"How Ironic"
Mask is the only one I really watched out of the ones mentioned. Did watch the Ghostbusters cartoon when I was little, alongside some toast and jam :)
Sat 25/09/10 at 10:19
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
There is some crazy stuff around for kids on TV - a lot of it looks like it took Ren and Stimpy as it's main inspiration!

I don't think any cartoon is going to beat the likes of transformers or thundercats - I remember a few more which probably were awful - Mask, Gobots, Jace and the Wheeled Warriors, something about 'ulysees'.

A sign of how evil the world has become is that TMNT had to be called Teenage Mutant HERO turtles because ninja might have implied violence, or been too scary for the youth of this country.
Ah....the good old days..........
Sat 25/09/10 at 10:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
I just used to watch Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. Both have gone from the state they were :(
Sat 25/09/10 at 09:02
Regular
"I like turtles"
I think modern day kids TV is crap or is it just that I'm getting old ?.I'm sure my Dad used to think the programs I loved as kid were rubbish.Caught a bit of one program about 2 blokes with full size heads but the bodies of babies,can't remember what is was called but I thought it was well wierd ?.Worst kids TV program ever though was definitely The Tweenies,they were basically The Teletubbies on speed !.But in 20 years time will the kids of today go on about how brilliant the likes Dick & Dom were ?.
Sat 25/09/10 at 04:04
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Comes down to money in the end I suppose. Cartoons like Transformers, Mask, TMNH, Thundercats etc. are expensive to make.

Having said that, tastes have probably changed too. Younger generations are more sophisticated now, so maybe cartoons arent quite so interesting to them anymore.
Fri 24/09/10 at 21:28
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I don't know about you guys, but when I watch modern kids' TV I can't help but think it has gone seriously downhill.

I think this is mainly due to many kids TV programs trying to be too educational, and also, with the advancements in computer technology, it actually seems to me that a lot of modern day animated cartoons look worse than those of the 80's and early 90's. Plus what's with many cartoons trying to teach kids Spanish these days?

Going to sound old now, but I remember the greats such as Transformers(Gen 1), Mask, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. Not only were these brilliant cartoons with interesting storylines, but they also had some of the best intro music ever, something else that seems to have been overlooked in modern cartoons.

So what do you guys think? Have modern day kids programs lost that sense of fun and excitment of old, or am I just being an old grump? :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.