GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The State of Modern Kids' T.V."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/10 at 21:28
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I don't know about you guys, but when I watch modern kids' TV I can't help but think it has gone seriously downhill.

I think this is mainly due to many kids TV programs trying to be too educational, and also, with the advancements in computer technology, it actually seems to me that a lot of modern day animated cartoons look worse than those of the 80's and early 90's. Plus what's with many cartoons trying to teach kids Spanish these days?

Going to sound old now, but I remember the greats such as Transformers(Gen 1), Mask, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. Not only were these brilliant cartoons with interesting storylines, but they also had some of the best intro music ever, something else that seems to have been overlooked in modern cartoons.

So what do you guys think? Have modern day kids programs lost that sense of fun and excitment of old, or am I just being an old grump? :D
Sat 19/02/11 at 18:35
"Are you sure?"
Machie wrote:
I decided I wanted my kids...

... I know it's a lot. which probably explains why I went into a career in comics and animation.

Hi Machie - nice list! :¬)
I've just been showing (boring!) my kids with The Herbs - I'm older than you! Don't you just love the internet...

But more importantly you kept the 'kids bit' quiet!
BIG Congratulations :¬)

Also glad to hear your career in "comics and animation" is up and running. Don't forget to post your website if you've (finally!) got it going! :¬P

Still loving your avatar (see WLT) :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 19/02/11 at 17:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
Machie wrote:
Bananaman
Charlie Chalk
Trap Door
Danger Mouse
Count Duckula
Transformers
He-Man
M.A.S.K
Dogtanian
Thunderbirds
Stingray
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Real Ghostbusters
Power Rangers
Doug
Hey Arnold
X-men

The ones I recall watching. Watched some of them on VHS.
Heard of quite a few of the others. One of the other shows I watched some repeats of was Knightmare, that tacky gameshow were you'd put on a helmet and work your way through a virtual castle. Pretty awesome stuff.
Sat 19/02/11 at 17:43
"possibly impossible"
Oh. And I found that I dream of Jeanne is on the Sony TVs built in Internet TV.
Sat 19/02/11 at 17:41
"possibly impossible"
@Machie - I certainly remember Mr Rossi and that catchy theme song. In fact I was showing my kids an episode on YouTube. Ana Maria loves to see all the old stuff I used to watch, like Mr Benn, and stuff after that like The Flumps.
Sat 19/02/11 at 17:14
Regular
Forgot to add some more tv shows. All before your time (and mine!), shame they aren't repeated anymore like Dad's Army. :(

Land of the Giants
Lost in Space
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Batman
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Get Smart

Dragonlance wrote:
Nice list Machie :¬)

No place then for 'Fireball XL5'

Fireball

Oh I've not seen this before. Looks like their earliest one. I'll have to check it out. :)
Sat 19/02/11 at 16:33
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice list Machie :¬)

No place then for 'Fireball XL5'

Fireball
Sat 19/02/11 at 16:21
Regular
I decided I wanted my kids to grow up watching the shows I did when I was younger. So I've been trying to find them all on DVD and VHS if I can.

Most of these you guys might not remember.

Old Disney/Warner Brothers cartoons. With all the violence, old stereotypes and smoking that would never be shown on TV today. That one where Chip and Dale live in Donald Ducks model village. Tom and Jerry episode with the skating in the kitchen. Daffy getting annoyed with the animators, you get the idea.

Mr Benn
Bagpuss
Button Moon
Super Ted
Bananaman
Shoe People
The Poddington Peas
Charlie Chalk
Bertha
Pigeon Street
Trap Door
Danger Mouse
Count Duckula
Transformers
Voltron
Bot Master
GoBots
Centurions
The Snorks
Dr Snuggles
Teddy Ruxpin
Wuzzles
Babar
Tintin (I'm a huge fan)
Madeline
Mr Rossi (no one remembers this at all)
Fraggle Rock
Heathcliff
He-Man
She-Ra
M.A.S.K
Family Ness
Dogtanian
80 Days Around The World
Thundercats
Samurai Pizza Cats
Thunderbirds
Joe 90
Stingray
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
Terrahawks
Ducktales
Gummibears
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
Talespin
Kissyfur
Maid Marian And Her Merry Men
Captain Planet
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
Ulysses 31
Dungeons and Dragons
Pole Position
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Inspector Gadget
The Real Ghostbusters
Attack of the Rotten Tomatoes
Power Rangers
Visionairies
King Arthur and the Knights of Justive
Galaxy High
Denver the Last Dinosaur
The World of David the Gnome
The Raccoons
Sharky and George
Doug
Hey Arnold
X-men
Shadow Raiders

I know it's a lot. which probably explains why I went into a career in comics and animation.
Sat 19/02/11 at 03:24
"The Videogame King"
The way I look at it is there are shows I like and their are shows I don't like. I am not really into TV shows as much as movies most of the time.

FYI: We get the Boomerang Cartoon Network channel so we do watch old shows too.
Sat 25/09/10 at 21:36
"possibly impossible"
Nah, you're not watching the right programs.

Batman brave and bold (and Animated series before that) Ben 10 is good. Any Powerrangers series is worth watching. Sarah Jane Adventures is fantastic, turtles is still on and actually nearer to the comics than the corny old series (which would make any true turtles fan wince).

Loads of Marvel and DC cartoons too.
Sat 25/09/10 at 17:01
Regular
"hulagadoo"
I miss the Visionaries and Bucky O Hare :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.