GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The State of Modern Kids' T.V."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/10 at 21:28
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I don't know about you guys, but when I watch modern kids' TV I can't help but think it has gone seriously downhill.

I think this is mainly due to many kids TV programs trying to be too educational, and also, with the advancements in computer technology, it actually seems to me that a lot of modern day animated cartoons look worse than those of the 80's and early 90's. Plus what's with many cartoons trying to teach kids Spanish these days?

Going to sound old now, but I remember the greats such as Transformers(Gen 1), Mask, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. Not only were these brilliant cartoons with interesting storylines, but they also had some of the best intro music ever, something else that seems to have been overlooked in modern cartoons.

So what do you guys think? Have modern day kids programs lost that sense of fun and excitment of old, or am I just being an old grump? :D
Thu 10/03/11 at 13:14
"The Videogame King"
Have you ever heard of this anime show Needless. I don't watch it I just saw it on an ad for Anime Network On Demand when I was looking for something to watch On Demand.
Tue 01/03/11 at 17:58
Regular
"eat toast!"
considering i watch anime online practically every day, i get to watch both the very best and worst anime.

If anyone has never watched planetes you should. Its brilliant. Really one of the more interesting ones and full of important issues and ironically, quite down to earth issues like hopes and dreams, equality, the environment and the issue of space life in general.
Tue 01/03/11 at 17:43
"The Videogame King"
I used to watch the amine that they show on [adult swim] such as Inuyasha and Bleach. Overtime I just lost interest. I like the [adult swim] comedies (like Robot Chicken and Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job) more. They also show Family Guy on [adult swim], Family Guy is really funny.
Tue 01/03/11 at 17:33
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Feel bad that this thread has focused more on anime, but might aswel join in! I've also watched '5 Centimeters per Second', plus a few others of Makoto Shinkai's work. I still find this thread very interesting though, (in terms of kids t.v.) especially as it's related to my dissertation topic..
Tue 01/03/11 at 17:14
Regular
"eat toast!"
Hard to explain really, the anime switches between 2 stories and the unfortunate and unintentional events that revolve around an exiler of immortality and the persuit of it. Its based around a group of novels. Check it out on wikipedia or watch it, i wasn't disappointed.

The anime is pretty good if you're willing to give it a go, the artwork is pretty fab and the dubb is one of the best. In fact they apparently got a proper audiition to get the correct voice and its paid off. Funny as well especially the last few episodes.
Sat 26/02/11 at 15:39
"The Videogame King"
spoonbeast wrote:
anyone seen 5 Centimeters per Second or Tamayura? I hear good things about them.

Oh and watch Baccano! One of the best english dubbed anime ever.

I saw Baccano listed on the Funimation Channel while I was looking at my Verizon Fios TV guide but I have no idea what it is.
Fri 25/02/11 at 18:57
Regular
"eat toast!"
anyone seen 5 Centimeters per Second or Tamayura? I hear good things about them.

Oh and watch Baccano! One of the best english dubbed anime ever.
Thu 24/02/11 at 09:08
Regular
Seeing as there were a couple of Trap Door mentions in this thread:

Trap Door Seasons 1 & 2 DVD - £5 from Play
Wed 23/02/11 at 11:39
Regular
pb wrote:

I'm still waiting for it to come out over here. Because they're so young they need an English translation.

I used to love The Borrowers stories when i was young, so it will be nice to see a Ghibli version of the story.

Didn't know there was another film on the way. Will have to look into that. Another age to wait until it comes here, though. Fandubs are the only alternative.

Which reminds me, have you seen the Animal Crossing animated movie? It's very twee, but still great to see all the main characters in a cartoon. The fandub on Youtube is pretty good, I keep meaning to save it and stick it on HDD.

It's a good movie pb, I'm sure your kids will like it. Yeah I loved the old TV series and movie with John Goodman.

If I see a trailer for the new Ghibli movie I'll let you see it, but you're right could be awhile before Disney dub it.

I'll have to check out the Animal Crossing movie. I've not played the game, but know all about it. Looks like my kind of movie. :)
Tue 22/02/11 at 01:28
Regular
"8==="
Bring back Knightmare.

That is all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.