GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The State of Modern Kids' T.V."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/10 at 21:28
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I don't know about you guys, but when I watch modern kids' TV I can't help but think it has gone seriously downhill.

I think this is mainly due to many kids TV programs trying to be too educational, and also, with the advancements in computer technology, it actually seems to me that a lot of modern day animated cartoons look worse than those of the 80's and early 90's. Plus what's with many cartoons trying to teach kids Spanish these days?

Going to sound old now, but I remember the greats such as Transformers(Gen 1), Mask, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. Not only were these brilliant cartoons with interesting storylines, but they also had some of the best intro music ever, something else that seems to have been overlooked in modern cartoons.

So what do you guys think? Have modern day kids programs lost that sense of fun and excitment of old, or am I just being an old grump? :D
Sun 20/02/11 at 14:01
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Machie wrote:
HiddenWingz wrote:
[i]Oh and like a lot of the great animations from the 80s and early 90s, The Moomins was made in Japan so grew up watching it like us. :)

Guess the Moomins sort of have the same appreal as Totoro. (Huge anime fan) A lot of japanese cartoons stopped airing when the channels I mentioned before dissapered.

Anyway... thought of another old show. I don't think it's suppossed to be a kids show, but I used to love Knight Rider when I was younger. I even have the full box set somewhere still.
Sun 20/02/11 at 12:28
Regular
HiddenWingz wrote:
Random entry: Budgie the Little Helicopter!

Naw I really want to re-watch these now I keep thinking about them! I'm interested as to why Thomas and the Moomins are popular in Japan though. Why are they so popular there?

For Thomas its probably because they love trains in Japan. Most people will use them everyday so its a part of their life. I'm not sure why they love Moomin though, I guess Japan just love characters. You'll find far more Peter Rabbit, Padding bear, Winnie the Pooh and Rubert bear items in Japan than in the UK. Its a shame they think they're all made by Americans though. (apart from Peter Rabbit)

Oh and like a lot of the great animations from the 80s and early 90s, The Moomins was made in Japan so grew up watching it like us. :)
Sun 20/02/11 at 12:15
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Random entry: Budgie the Little Helicopter!

Naw I really want to re-watch these now I keep thinking about them! I'm interested as to why Thomas and the Moomins are popular in Japan though. Why are they so popular there?
Sun 20/02/11 at 12:01
Regular
Damn I can't believe I missed out so many good ones. I remember The Flumps, The Herbs, Captain Caveman, Captain Pugwash, Noggin the Nog, The Magic Roundabout and of course, Thomas the Tank Engine. They really love Thomas in Japan.

Here's a few more stop motion animations that I remember watching a lot.

Ivor the Engine
The Clangers (I don't remember them being in Dr Who? :S)
Trumpton
Windy Miller
Postman Pat
Fireman Sam

Another one I can't believe I missed is The Moomins, which I'm also a big fan of. It's also popular in Japan too and we have some soft toys of Moomin and Snorkmaiden. I think I remember there being a stop motion version of Then Moomins as well.

Better not forget these classics

Wacky Races
Catch the Pigeon
Top Cat
The Flintstones
The Jetsons
Scooby Doo
Pink Panther

@pb, Love the Mr Rossi theme. oh I wonder if I can get I Dream of Jeannie. We have a Bravia at home.

@Sonic Chris, Knightmare was great, me and my friends wanted to apply to be on the show, but it ended not long after. Loved the theme song.

Oh god I remember watching Fun House. They should bring it back now that Total Wipeout is doing well.

@Hmmm, I thought you might like it. I was testing it as I made a few for my websites. It's used all over the place in Japan and slowly becoming more popular now that people have smart phones.

@Dragonlance, I loved watching Mister Ed. :D A few more 60s shows I forgot are Twilight Zone and of course Star Trek. Oh and you're right, IDOJ was a bit of a clone of Bewitched.

@Dav, you should have shown her She-Ra instead :D Talking of Inspector Gadget, I've been enjoying the iPhone game lately.
Sun 20/02/11 at 10:55
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
I used to love Thomas the Tank! The new ones are horrid with the CGI and making their mouths move.The new opening song is catchy though. My little sister loves it! Also miss some of the old channels, such as Toonami or Fox Kids.
Sun 20/02/11 at 10:14
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Loving the list Machie, brings the memories flooding back. Plus every mention of Trap Door is good in my book

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Disappointed that the one program I watched endlessly as a child is missing though; Thomas the Tank. I still blame the hours upon hours of this on me getting into The Beatles years later!
Sun 20/02/11 at 09:29
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Morning all, talking about imagination within 'cartoons/animation' what about:

Captain Pugwash

Noggin the Nog

And the Classic:

The Magic Roundabout

Ah...fond memories :¬)
Sun 20/02/11 at 08:33
Regular
"And in last place.."
On the whole I agree that cartoons back when I was younger were much better. I've shown my daughter a few and she liked Bananaman and Captain Caveman but I was horrified when she lost interest in He-Man and Inspector Gadget.

But we recently found Phineas & Ferb which I have to say is every bit as good as any cartoon I have fond memories of. The imagination in each episode is staggering. It's a brilliant cartoon.
Sat 19/02/11 at 21:30
"possibly impossible"
Dragonlance wrote:

RE: Fireball XL5, it was Gerry Anderson's first one and I even had the Fireball XL5 model :¬D

And 'I Dream of Jeannie'...a very young Larry Hagman (soon to be Dallas), always seemed to be a 'copy' of Bewitched :¬)

My dad and uncle watched Fireball XL5 being made. My uncle still lives around that area, used to work in a garage near pinewood and did up the Lotus from The Prisoner.

Also think I Dream of Jeannie got away with a far more adult, almost raunchy sense of humour, particularly the early episodes.
Sat 19/02/11 at 18:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Machie wrote:
Forgot to add some more tv shows. All before your time (and mine!), shame they aren't repeated anymore like Dad's Army. :(

Land of the Giants
Lost in Space
The Munsters
The Addams Family
Batman
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
Get Smart

Dragonlance wrote:
[i]Nice list Machie :¬)

No place then for 'Fireball XL5'

Fireball

Oh I've not seen this before. Looks like their earliest one. I'll have to check it out. :)[/i]

All good selections Machie...watched them all but you forgot another classic.....Mrs DL's favourite :¬)

Mister Ed

RE: Fireball XL5, it was Gerry Anderson's first one and I even had the Fireball XL5 model :¬D

And 'I Dream of Jeannie'...a very young Larry Hagman (soon to be Dallas), always seemed to be a 'copy' of Bewitched :¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.