GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The State of Modern Kids' T.V."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/10 at 21:28
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I don't know about you guys, but when I watch modern kids' TV I can't help but think it has gone seriously downhill.

I think this is mainly due to many kids TV programs trying to be too educational, and also, with the advancements in computer technology, it actually seems to me that a lot of modern day animated cartoons look worse than those of the 80's and early 90's. Plus what's with many cartoons trying to teach kids Spanish these days?

Going to sound old now, but I remember the greats such as Transformers(Gen 1), Mask, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. Not only were these brilliant cartoons with interesting storylines, but they also had some of the best intro music ever, something else that seems to have been overlooked in modern cartoons.

So what do you guys think? Have modern day kids programs lost that sense of fun and excitment of old, or am I just being an old grump? :D
Mon 21/02/11 at 22:07
Regular
"eat toast!"
Dragonlance wrote:
Forget Art Attack SB, remember:

Vision On

and:

Take Hart

Quite brilliant :¬)

too.painful.to.watch.too.retro...gahhh

I do believe was one of the visionaries that brought the likes of Art attack and the use-to-be-watchable-but-now-meh SMART. Oh and mr maker.
Mon 21/02/11 at 21:35
"possibly impossible"
Very true, and without Morph we wouldn't have Wallace and Gromit or Shaun the Sheep (or Timmy).

Don't worry, Spoonbeast, we weren't really discussing Anime in the same breath as Children's TV. Besides, it's valid anyway, Anime is just a medium for all audiences, from children, to Eastenders fans (there are soaps) to many other things...

Some western fans are a bit too serious though, looking for meaning in everything and dismissing stuff that isn't 'oh, it's all a deeper meaning' etc. Yes, there are the greats and don't get me started on how much I myself put Evangelion on a pedestal, but I like a good mix and I've seen so many things spanning so many genres from Perfect Blue through Shadow Skill and Akira to Totoro and environmental message bound titles like Pom Poko.

What I find disappointing, though, is the need to make live action versions of Anime and Manga material. Occassionally, it works (Death Note movies) but more often it doesn't.
Mon 21/02/11 at 19:58
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Forget Art Attack SB, remember:

Vision On

and:

Take Hart

Quite brilliant :¬)
Mon 21/02/11 at 19:40
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
A big live chat I was part of today started talking about kids anime shows. It was great talking about it, but also slightly depressing.
Anyway back to non-anime related:

I found Spot the Dog on T.V. today, but it seems to have a different narrator. The same goes for Thomas the Tank Engine. I wander why that is? They are exactly the same episodes, but just narrated by a different person.
Mon 21/02/11 at 19:02
Regular
"eat toast!"
anime? ANIME?!

*Crashes through wall*

Now see here! i enjoy watching childrens shows just like the next guy!

(No one standing next to him)

But few people seem to give anime enough credit! All we mostly get over here is watered down stuff and not enough of the hard stuff! No not hentai! I'm talking about showing Ghost in the shell SAC, Planetes, Cowboy bebop, Azumanga Daioh!, pranoia agent, Code geauss and Death Note to name a few! You know, the anime with interesting stories, full of wit, charm, character and moral stories and interesting themes for mature audiences!

Yes i'm fully aware anime central was around for a bit, but regardless! thats now dead thanks to the ungreatful public who see nothing but Pokemon, digimon and other children entertainment and sorry excuses for Anime! Studio ghibli stuff is a good start but we need more!

Ahem. Concerning older stuff, i do remember the samurai pizza cats and warner brothers brilliant shows like Batman the animated series, Animanics, Freakazoid and the such, but now it all seems to pale in comparison that i can't bare to watch.

But going much further to preschool stuff because my baby sister INSISTS we watch cbeebies, the stuff seems far more geared towards educational or going for more advanced stuff, like cooking with big cook little cook, awareness for the environment and crap. Like in the night garden or chuggington. Also an increase in computer graphics, but thats probably because its a more viable medium unlike before where we had only Green screens and reboot.

What i also miss now were the children gameshows. Bring back finders keepers, 50/50, knightmare and fun house! bring back consumerism!

Luckily, art attack was every bit as watchable now as it was back then. It would be, if its still on tv (is it on tv anymore?)
Mon 21/02/11 at 13:50
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
Have they seen Arrietty yet pb? I saw it in Japan, couldn't understand any of it but that never stops you from enjoying it. Surprisingly the next movie is coming out this summer. They don't usually make one every year. It's Miyazaki's son directing again.

They come out with new Totoro soft toys all the time. This is the last one we got. We also have a green one.

I'm still waiting for it to come out over here. Because they're so young they need an English translation.

I used to love The Borrowers stories when i was young, so it will be nice to see a Ghibli version of the story.

Didn't know there was another film on the way. Will have to look into that. Another age to wait until it comes here, though. Fandubs are the only alternative.

Which reminds me, have you seen the Animal Crossing animated movie? It's very twee, but still great to see all the main characters in a cartoon. The fandub on Youtube is pretty good, I keep meaning to save it and stick it on HDD.
Mon 21/02/11 at 12:34
Regular
Have they seen Arrietty yet pb? I saw it in Japan, couldn't understand any of it but that never stops you from enjoying it. Surprisingly the next movie is coming out this summer. They don't usually make one every year. It's Miyazaki's son directing again.

They come out with new Totoro soft toys all the time. This is the last one we got. We also have a green one.
Mon 21/02/11 at 08:34
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:

We have about twenty Totoros in our apartment. :) we're big Ghibli fans and planning to go to the Ghibli museum again next year. (Glad to hear you're a fan, I thought I was the only anime fan on the forum)

*ahem*.

Anyway, I still haven't got my hands on a Totoro for the kids. They now want a Ponyo as well though.
Sun 20/02/11 at 22:41
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
Machie wrote:
We have about twenty Totoros in our apartment. :) we're big Ghibli fans and planning to go to the Ghibli museum again next year. (Glad to hear you're a fan, I thought I was the only anime fan on the forum)

Love Knight Rider watched every episode along with The A-Team.

Twenty?! Wow...The only anime- related plushie I have is of a dango. Have to agree it's also nice to find another anime fan though. Watched some of the Knigt Rider boxset earlier, so thank you everyone for reminding me of all these shows!
Sun 20/02/11 at 21:21
Regular
HiddenWingz wrote:
Guess the Moomins sort of have the same appreal as Totoro. (Huge anime fan) A lot of japanese cartoons stopped airing when the channels I mentioned before dissapered.

Anyway... thought of another old show. I don't think it's suppossed to be a kids show, but I used to love Knight Rider when I was younger. I even have the full box set somewhere still.

Love Knight Rider watched every episode along with The A-Team.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.