GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Web Design Practice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 15:51
Regular
What advice would you give to somebody about to build their first website?

I think I would advise them to look at sites that they like, as well as some of the top sites in the field of interest that the site is addressing, and try to understand why they like them... IE, easy navigation, nice design, good content. Then, try and apply what they have just learnt to their own web site.

Oh, and don't use frames... or the or tags, and test your site in as many different browsers (IE and Netscape versions 4+ I would say now), and on as many different platforms (PC / MAC / Dreamcast browser!!) as possible.

Dammit, too much to say... anybody else got any hints / tips?
Mon 26/11/01 at 10:50
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I agree. If it works in Netscape then it will probably work anywhere. I don't know what's different about Netscape 6, so I'll wait until I can get hold of a copy to see what I can do.
Mon 26/11/01 at 10:55
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
monkey_man wrote:
> I agree. If it works in Netscape then it will probably work anywhere. I don't
> know what's different about Netscape 6, so I'll wait until I can get hold of a
> copy to see what I can do.

The main difference with NS6 is what it supports... Have a look at w3C.org for the full details. Baisically, IE and old versions of NS used the basic model as well as "bits" of thier own.. the Mozilla engine behind NS6 uses the reccomendations and standardisations set out by the W3C and sticks to them forcing designers to use clean, compliant code and stopping them from relying on bugs... Learn you stuff from W3C, something ALL designers should be aware of.

NS6 only present's problems to those who aren't in the know!:-)
Mon 26/11/01 at 13:18
monkey_man wrote:

Example:
I use IE because I think it's a superior browser and more
> convenient to code in (view source in Notepad), but the place I used to work at
> used Netscape as a company standard. This puzzled me as web design was a big
> part of the company's make-up. It was annoying doing something at home that
> wouldn't work at work. I'm sure this situation is the same for lots of people.

Did you look at microsoft.com in IE, then in NS? That is what I meant. In IE, it has drop down menus and stuff, in NS, it does not, but that does not stop you using the site and navigating around, you just don't get the special menus.
Mon 26/11/01 at 23:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I am forced to check compatability. When I code under Linux (very useful) I have to use Konquerer or NS, which are both essentially 4.7. Simple.
Tue 27/11/01 at 08:07
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Yes, there is. It's called HTML 4.0 and the industry regulators are the World
> Wide Web Consortum (w3c.org). However, IE make their own rules and NS just
> decide not to implement some. This leaves us proper webdesigners with a real
> problem.

ctually.. NS6 is totally compliant... Proper webdesigners know how to work with them all Turbo... Such as myself!! Only ametures blame their tools!!
Tue 27/11/01 at 09:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ooh, handbags.
Tue 27/11/01 at 09:23
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
monkey_man wrote:
> Ooh, handbags.

I apologise for the use of my handbag so early in the morning... I will return to my office and dance around the said hadbag until I am forgiven!!;-)
Tue 27/11/01 at 09:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Thankyou. 20 laps of the handbag will do.
Tue 27/11/01 at 12:28
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Finally got round to putting up my new homepage!! yeah!! Just need to create the rest of it now!!

If you can blow it up, let me know!!

Cheers

http://www.tyla.org.uk/
"Graphical genius at its best!!"
Tue 27/11/01 at 12:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I like your style. Looks a bit futuristic, that's the sort of thing I try and incorporate into my sites. Check out mine at http://www.lukenet-v1.co.uk - there's no proper content yet, so it won't look as good as it should. It's like Turbomonkey said, "K.I.S.S" Keep It Simple Stupid, all my other attempts looked cluttered and I was never happy. I'm still not 100% on this one, I might go back to one of the old ones. What do you think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.