GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Web Design Practice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 15:51
Regular
What advice would you give to somebody about to build their first website?

I think I would advise them to look at sites that they like, as well as some of the top sites in the field of interest that the site is addressing, and try to understand why they like them... IE, easy navigation, nice design, good content. Then, try and apply what they have just learnt to their own web site.

Oh, and don't use frames... or the or tags, and test your site in as many different browsers (IE and Netscape versions 4+ I would say now), and on as many different platforms (PC / MAC / Dreamcast browser!!) as possible.

Dammit, too much to say... anybody else got any hints / tips?
Fri 23/11/01 at 15:51
What advice would you give to somebody about to build their first website?

I think I would advise them to look at sites that they like, as well as some of the top sites in the field of interest that the site is addressing, and try to understand why they like them... IE, easy navigation, nice design, good content. Then, try and apply what they have just learnt to their own web site.

Oh, and don't use frames... or the or tags, and test your site in as many different browsers (IE and Netscape versions 4+ I would say now), and on as many different platforms (PC / MAC / Dreamcast browser!!) as possible.

Dammit, too much to say... anybody else got any hints / tips?
Fri 23/11/01 at 16:19
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Do loads of little HTML files with different tricks and examples of coding in each. that way if you ever need help with something, you can open up an example you've done before and not have to wade through lines of code.

Install as many different browsers as possible, to see what works where.
Fri 23/11/01 at 16:55
Regular
"How Handy."
I think people slate frames far too much. They can be very useful. Admitedly they do have a lot of problems but I like them...
Fri 23/11/01 at 17:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I would advise them not to put it on the Internet. Make it, burn it, make it again and get better.
Fri 23/11/01 at 20:42
Regular
""
I'd say ignore Turbo and listen to Monkey. A much more constructive post.

When you're surfing you know can tell the good and bad sites. Find one you like, right-click and view source. Cut and paste it into some sort text editor and experiment.

Nothing to it!!! hehe
Fri 23/11/01 at 20:46
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I think we should burn them. Burn them all!
Sat 24/11/01 at 01:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Shutit ajh, don't tell him that. Many sites that "look" good are pure evil. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. The last thing we want is for every web design newbie that comes along to go copying every nice site he sees because he'll end up with some experimental heap of cack that not only looks bad (glaring colours, Times New Roman) but will ONLY be viewable in MSIE 5.x.

It's the truth and you know it. Look at this: http://www.simonwalmsley.150m.com/

This is Simon at school's first website. He's really proud of it and he thinks it's good. Now, Simon's no stranger to the Internet, he knows what's what, yet still he inflicts this on the Internet community. All newbies do it without fail. Even I did it once.

Make a site, by all means, but PLEASE don't put it on the Internet. Keep doing lots of sites and experiment with graphics packages until you learn what a decent website looks like. Here are a few tips that *will* get you half way though:

Always make your fonts "Arial" or "Verdana". Use anything else on pain of death.
Never use frames
ANTI-ALIASING. I can't stress this enough.
Don't make yours site move. This is intensly irritating.

Lastly: Do not go anywhere near dynamicdrive.com.
Sat 24/11/01 at 01:38
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I just went there and now I've got red spots all over my eyes. Maybe it's a secret weapon of war to blind us all?
Sat 24/11/01 at 01:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
monkey_man wrote:
> I just went there and now I've got red spots all over my eyes. Maybe it's a
> secret weapon of war to blind us all?

Codename: Webn00bs
Sat 24/11/01 at 01:44
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I do agree with you though. There should be some sort of industry standard for this thing, but there probably never will be.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.