GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Web Design Practice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 15:51
Regular
What advice would you give to somebody about to build their first website?

I think I would advise them to look at sites that they like, as well as some of the top sites in the field of interest that the site is addressing, and try to understand why they like them... IE, easy navigation, nice design, good content. Then, try and apply what they have just learnt to their own web site.

Oh, and don't use frames... or the or tags, and test your site in as many different browsers (IE and Netscape versions 4+ I would say now), and on as many different platforms (PC / MAC / Dreamcast browser!!) as possible.

Dammit, too much to say... anybody else got any hints / tips?
Sat 24/11/01 at 02:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, there is. It's called HTML 4.0 and the industry regulators are the World Wide Web Consortum (w3c.org). However, IE make their own rules and NS just decide not to implement some. This leaves us proper webdesigners with a real problem.
Sat 24/11/01 at 02:20
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Well I'm not a proper web designer so I'll make my own rules to suit me - kind of like Renegade.

Do you have any thoughts on that 3D rendering stuff I was going on about? I know it can be done using maths and physics and stuff, but I wondered how a professional would handle it.
Sat 24/11/01 at 02:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
To be honest I think it's pointless ;-)

Onwards, to your thread for further discussion...
Sat 24/11/01 at 11:17
Regular
""
Some people just haven't got a clue... don't know if it's narrowmindedness or just they don't want to learn. What can you do?
Sat 24/11/01 at 11:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You can convince them not to do it. Liek newbies, there are far too many "web designers" around these days who think because they know how to handle a they're good. They need to be put down, I tell you, otherwise the whole net will be plugged up with creations like Simon's.
Sat 24/11/01 at 11:49
Regular
""
... or guys like you who think they know best. Both have nothing to contribute.
Sat 24/11/01 at 14:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh fine, I'll just stop contributing to WebTech then.
Sat 24/11/01 at 14:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
That Simon kid was only 12! I think that's a fair effort for a 12 year old.
Sat 24/11/01 at 15:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh, so because he's twelve he can't notice his retinas burning?
Sat 24/11/01 at 17:13
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Maybe it's already too late for him and his family.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.