GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best Web Design Practice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/11/01 at 15:51
Regular
What advice would you give to somebody about to build their first website?

I think I would advise them to look at sites that they like, as well as some of the top sites in the field of interest that the site is addressing, and try to understand why they like them... IE, easy navigation, nice design, good content. Then, try and apply what they have just learnt to their own web site.

Oh, and don't use frames... or the or tags, and test your site in as many different browsers (IE and Netscape versions 4+ I would say now), and on as many different platforms (PC / MAC / Dreamcast browser!!) as possible.

Dammit, too much to say... anybody else got any hints / tips?
Sat 08/12/01 at 09:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Andi, that doesn't even sound comfy to begin with.
Sat 08/12/01 at 01:52
Regular
"How Handy."
Little bit of advice:

Lying on bed with lappy isnt as comfortable as it sounds..
Sat 08/12/01 at 01:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hmm. I suppose "lying backwards" is a bad description. More like "sitting back" or "resting back". However, I would like to experiment in horizontal nixing...
Sat 08/12/01 at 01:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nasty. I always use my PC lying backwards in a nice comfy rattan chair with the keyboard right in front of me at a *very* comfortable position. Probably why I haven't broken my back yet!
Wed 05/12/01 at 08:50
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
monkey_man wrote:
> I worked on a PC five days a week for about a year and I got mental headaches
> after that. I got a bad back from it as well.

I know what you mean... I've worked on computers for 5 days a week for the last 8/9 years and have ended up woth RSI in my shoulder and wrist from it!!
Tue 04/12/01 at 19:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well I spend most my time on my comp anyway, but I'm not sure if having a job using computers would put me off. However, my job would probably be on Windows/Mac, and seeing as I run Linux mostly at home I'd get a lot of variety.
Tue 04/12/01 at 17:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I worked on a PC five days a week for about a year and I got mental headaches after that. I got a bad back from it as well.
Tue 04/12/01 at 13:40
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Heh, OK. I couldn't live without a PC at home. The Internet is just so damn
> useful,

Try woking with it 5 days a week non stop... you;ll soon get sick of the sight of it!!
Tue 04/12/01 at 13:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Heh, OK. I couldn't live without a PC at home. The Internet is just so damn useful, and Linux without the Net is like books without words.
Mon 03/12/01 at 08:23
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Hazah, I can finally post! (Eww, this site is ugly in NS).

Tyla, you should
> have a PC at home anyway. Just because you have a PC, doesn't mean you have to
> work on it. Just don't install any graphics software.

I DONT WANT A PC AT HOME!! I've got my wife, my daughter and my PS2 for fun, don't want anything to distract me from them!!

Having the machine lurking there in the corner too would be too tempting for me to work on, and just by not installing graphics software wouldn't stop me from working, I DON'T JUST DO GRAPHICS!! CAN WE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS!!? I will eventually posess a machine at home, possible a nice Viao laptop or a G4 powerbook, but until then, I DON'T WANT ONE!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.