GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Nintendo."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/05/03 at 15:37
Regular
Nintendo have made such bad errors of marketing in the past two years that in the next few months its going to hit them hard. The death of the Gamecube will be at the end of this year; after the swan song of Mario Kart. It won't last any longer and fans who believe what Nintendo said about a six year lifetime for the GameCube were merely cheating themselves.

Nintendo are the company I have enjoyed products from since I was three years old. I thank Nintendo for creating games which allowed me to escape from the years of personal crap I have had to deal with. I really support the GameCube and personally favour it from the surrounding rival hardware yet nobody but Nintendo can be blamed for allowing the GameCube to fail in the way it has done.

Even a killer game like Zelda desperately tried to push hardware sales but two weeks after its release the hardware sales went back to the low levels of March. Its desperation times for Nintendo as their shares are taking hits and profit margins are diving without a care.

There is no doubt in my mind. Nintendo are the God's of gaming. They however are NOT the God's of marketing and sales. The lack of software stock in shops in Europe, the lack of any marketing and the stubborn 'we have our fans' cries will no doubt summon the end of The Big N.

Yet where can I see them falling to from here? A place I never thought I'd see them. Nintendo won't leave gaming, if the worst games does really come to the worst they'll be brought out by a rival company. However that really is looking at death's door. I feel Nintendo will go the route of Sega, and move into software development only. I also feel that Sega could easily make a hardware comeback if they seriously planned everything to a tee. The GameBoy may be Nintendo's greatest asset, yet against the marketing strength of the vertically intergrated Sony I very much doubt Nintendo will 'bother' too much in competing strongly against it. Yes Nintendo will release another GameBoy but I fear the next will be the last 'great' one.

To be honest, I really couldn't care anymore. Gaming has taken a nose dive since the 16-bit era. Companies are developing for the idiots that walk the street thinking anything made by EA is going to be great. Microsoft have entered the market in a bid again to yet dominate another part of the world. I am personally looking forward to the Microsoft film studios opening up or when Microsoft actually buy the American whitehouse.

In Europe we have always been treated like dirt in the gaming world. What Nintendo didn't realise is that although we aren't the biggest gaming nation and we don't buy the most. We are probably the most significant to the effects elsewhere. Oh? I hear that Holland have sold out of Gamecubes and that Germany love the GameCube too. Yet thats like buying Old Kent Road when playing monopoly and thinking you've won.

Sadly. Although I hate to say it, its going to take a huge amount of balls from Nintendo to pull themselves up from this dying defeat. Balls which I don't think they have.

I'll miss you when your gone Big N.
I'll still have my memories.
Its your own fault you stupid idiots.
Thu 29/05/03 at 20:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
Oranges wrote:
> er-no wrote:
> Shut the hell up you idiot. If you don't have anything constructive
> to
> say ruck off.
>
> Oh, the irony.
>
> Pity you didn't think that to yourself when writing most of this post.

Yet the post has caused a discussion in which people have thought about the points I placed forward.

Hah
Thu 29/05/03 at 22:23
Regular
"not dead"
Fact:

I own more GC games in one year than I did in the life of the N64.

Fact:

Third party games will not sell as well on the Gamecube as they have much stiffer competition from the Nintendo exclusives.

As good a game as Timesplitters 2 was alleged to be, it was in a similar style to Metroid (even though Metroid isn't an FPS, the casual gamer would believe they were similar from looks) therefore it didn't sell as well as on other consoles.

If a third party company released a fantastic Kart Racing game on all consoles, an Xbox owner or PS2 owner would lap it up. The GC owners would snub it in favour of Mario Kart.

The problem with this is when the third parties get too big, and scrap Nintendo all together, like EA did with Sega. Why did EA do this? They couldn't compete with Sega's sports titles.

However, Nintendo have third party companies working with them now to create exclusive versions of games. Resident Evil and other Capcom exclusives. Konami and Silicon Knights working together on Metal Gear Solid, and having such good results that other projects are being considered (according to Denis Dyack). Letting Namco and Sega work on their franchises, FZero and Starfox. All this is good stuff. Then there's EA, and the GBA connectivity promises. What this does is either make other third party developers have to also get in on the act, or disappear from the Cube altogether.

Sales of the GC are constant, with some increases for a couple of weeks when big games are released. At least it's selling consistantly. For each of these units sold, Nintendo are making a profit, Microsoft are making a loss.

So I don't think this is the end for Nintendo, especially considering their work with Gamespy at the moment....
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:06
Regular
Yep they have confirmed Mafia is coming out and some people say it's better than GTA. That's what we didn't have on the N64 now we have it... and that's third party companies willing to bring out games to the Gamecube and not only on the ps2 and x-box.
By the way 9.55 million cubes sold worldwide and THEY are 2nd in europe...
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:39
Regular
See, Nintendo always get the kiddie games :D
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:44
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> See, Nintendo always get the kiddie games :D

'Fun' games.. monkey ball 2 seems kiddy but its too hard for them.
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:48
Regular
I love that.

People say Nintendo games are too easy for them, but when it actually comes down to them playing them, they can't do them and end up stamping their feet and throwing a hissy fit.

Mongs.
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:54
Regular
I was actually referring to those idiots who say "GameCube is for kids" in response to you mentioning Mafia is due out on GameCube.
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:55
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> I was actually referring to those idiots who say "GameCube is for
> kids" in response to you mentioning Mafia is due out on GameCube.

I think he realises that....I hope
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:58
Regular
Yes i why would they bring out Driver 3 on the cube o_O
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:59
Regular
Things look bad for the 'Cube because we live in the UK, a country with a population that's somewhat intent on destroying the thing.

Take a look at statistics on a wider scale, however, and things don't look as grim. At the end of 2002, Nintendo managed to shift 1.5 million units in Europe - compared to 1.4 million Xboxes. In Japan, they had an excellent year, with sales rocketing during the releases of AAA titles such as Super Mario Sunshine and The Wind Waker. On the whole, they did well in America - having a great Christmas thanks to Resident Evil Zero and Metroid Prime. And then there's the success of the GBA and SP...

Nintendo are making profit - much more so than Microsoft's Game Studios and Sony's. Shares may be falling, but with such a strong GameCube line-up and a poor PS2 one, I can see that rising once again.

Nintendo have learnt a lot this generation about how much the industry has changed and what demands they must meet. You see, while they are the most experienced out of the three major players, there're still, in a way, quite naive. Hopefully, if they continue like they are, they'll keep the GameCube afloat and use their new found knowledge of the industry to make sure their next console is a real seller.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.